IGNORED

'19 R 1250 RT expansion tank question

wbw6cos

I was doing some routine maintenance that required removing a lot of tupperware and discovered the exoansion tank does not have a hose n the top portion.  There is a fitting for one and it looks like it is for an overflow hose because I see some retaining clips right below that open fitting.   Is there supposed to be a hose attached   Online microfiche shows only one hose from the bottom, but on my bike, that same hose goes to the neck of the radiator at the pressure cap.  I could not find any hose that was not connected to anything, so I thought I would ask.

1399586107_20220724_133458-1(2).thumb.jpg.cad66376c56a2c2b7a0382c7c51b3aa8.jpg

I'd put one on there if you can route it to the bottom of the bike. If the engine ever overheats, not likely, it's gonna spit coolant all over the place. 

Thanks Mike.

I am wondering why there is not one hooked up.   Maybe a short one that fell off. (?)   Or if there was ever one attached in the first place.   Factory issue?  Dealer issue?   :dontknow:

Besides, the coolant is low, as in, just enough at the very bottom.  I have to buy some to add.   Might as well purchase some hose while I am at it.

Someone asked the same question on "the other" BMW touring forum. The general view was that no hose was attached because no one has ever seen the bottle overflow. Hell, there is no mention of the coolant ever being replaced, so clearly overflow will never be an issue.

• Thanks 1

There was no hose there on either my ‘15 or ‘17 RT.  Don’t see what it would hurt to put one on to avoid a potential mess.

Thanks, Dave.  Seems odd, doesn't it?  My only concern at this point is the fluid level.

So, it seems like some of us are getting hosed while others are not. :5146:

William you had to see that one coming. :classic_biggrin:

I’m going to go look right now If I can see without pulling parts that is.

Imagine that:  a fireman talking about  somebody getting hosed.  :dontknow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1