IGNORED

No Standing....

Twisties

Was surprised to learn today that several states prohibit standing on the pegs.  This includes dirt riding.  Of course even in street riding we are trained to stand for obstacles, and in dirt riding standing is simply how it's done.  I often stand even on the street to stretch, air my butt, and in small towns for increased vision and visibility.  I consider it completely safe and responsible.  I spoke with an AMA rep and was told it's just not an issue because they've rarely heard of enforcement.  

I think standing is tolerated in most states as long as you loft the front tire off the ground while doing so. :spittake:

image.jpeg.5e7d7c543c8fc44ccf1e3cb31ec52340.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Thinking 1

I've read thru my state's rules and haven't seen the no standing rule. Lifting one or both wheels is not allowed on public roads, I think most states run that one (Tewks excepted).

Turn signals are not required here, arm signals are legal option. License plate numbers must be displayed horizontally, the plate can be displayed vertically, but the numbers must be horizontal on that plate, and have a plate light.

I find reading motor vehicle statutes interesting. I'm kind of weird that way.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
roadscholar
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I think standing is tolerated in most states as long as you loft the front tire off the ground while doing so. :spittake:

image.jpeg.5e7d7c543c8fc44ccf1e3cb31ec52340.jpeg

..or blasting thru a puddle. :dance:

Untitled photo

or maybe just cruising some backroads. 

IMG_3278.JPG

Think I remember Fla getting that law several years ago and the Adv community went a little nuts for awhile but all quiet now. I think the purpose was to try and corral squids from doing stupid stuff on sport bikes out on the highways, kind of a catch all to give LEO's more leverage to make an arrest. I did hear one story about a couple guys on Adv bikes getting stopped but don't believe anything came of it.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I can see the reason for the rule to stop the idiots from stunting on public roads. 

:5146:
Hey, it really wasn’t a public road, well ok, maybe just a little public, but not too many idiots know about it. :revit: :spittake:

Joe Frickin' Friday
10 hours ago, Twisties said:

I often stand even on the street to stretch, air my butt...

Same here, although as with anything, it's important to choose the time and place.  Speaking for myself, I generally only find a need when I've been droning down the interstate highway for an hour or two; I just make sure there are no cars near me when I do it.  

In those states that have a "no standing" rule, I wonder how many traffic enforcement officers are even aware of it - and of those that are, how many of them would be enough of an ass hat to cite a touring rider who's just stretching (as opposed to a squid who's getting ready for shenanigans).

• Like 1

Morning, 

When I lived in Michigan they had a law that said the riders (& passengers) feet must remain on the foot pegs (I think it said foot rests or something like that). But it also gave some leeway as it also said something to the effect if physically possible.

There was a seat rule at one time but I believe that went into effect about when the 30" handlebar height above shoulders went into effect so the rider couldn't legally stand to raise his shoulder height. 

I know a few years ago I was zipping through upper Michigan on the freeway  (probably doing at least 15 over) & I had been sitting a long time so I stood up & rode about a mile standing on the pegs to stretch my legs. There was a cop on the other side of the freeway that swung around through a turn-through & pulled up beside me (I though he clocked me speeding) but all he did was roll his window down & use his hand to motion to me with a his hand to sit down, then he turned off the next exit.   

• Like 2

If this is true then all I can say is whoever thought up this 50 state business in the first place should definitely be dug up and smacked right between the running lights.  I mean talk about inefficiency I mean you got 50 off them and all they do is spend time trying to reinvent the same tired old wheel.  I mean just give me a break! I know I know this could be construed as bordering on political and if so please except my profound undying apology.

Every state follows the NHTSA guidelines for their vehicle codes/regulations as well as the operation of their electronic traffic control devices. While there are several different approaches to what needs to be codified, most are similar enough that the differences don't cause very many issues. Different locales have different problems. 

I have stood on my pegs to stretch in a bunch of these states with no issue. Now, used as an enforcement tool to crack down on stunters?  Good use of that law where it exists. I certainly wouldn't use it to cite a touring rider..........

As big as our country is I haven't experienced huge differences in traffic laws......... and I'm grateful to be able to move to a completely different State when the one I'm living in goes down the toilet. YMMV:cool:

• Plus 1 2

Regarding diferrent state laws, I've always wondered how a bike that is legal in one state is not legal in another, especially in regard to handlebar height. Ape hangers are legal in many states, but are a violation to ride in other states. Shouldn't the state where it is registered determine legality, due to free movement between states? Cars in certain states are not required to have a front license plate, but they are not given citations when in other states where they are required.

It always confused me how that worked. Different helmet, glasses, and headlight requirements I understand, easily remedied when crossing state lines, but hardware changes I don't understand.

I think the modified equipment differences are or were an attempt to deal with a specific problems.....think OMGs. I know in Cal. that was the motivation along with their nanny-state focus to save us from ourselves.

Apes are legal in Minnesota, but were not in South Dakota. Those going to Sturgis were ticketed on a regular basis (don't drink!), if you didn't lower them or figure something out, you could get ticketed multiple times in one day. I just never understood how the legality from one state didn't cross over to other states.

Finally So Dak has changed their law.

I don't think they are legal in Wyoming yet, and a few others.

On 7/22/2022 at 12:49 AM, Hosstage said:

Regarding diferrent state laws, I've always wondered how a bike that is legal in one state is not legal in another, especially in regard to handlebar height. Ape hangers are legal in many states, but are a violation to ride in other states. Shouldn't the state where it is registered determine legality, due to free movement between states? Cars in certain states are not required to have a front license plate, but they are not given citations when in other states where they are required.

It always confused me how that worked. Different helmet, glasses, and headlight requirements I understand, easily remedied when crossing state lines, but hardware changes I don't understand.

Some state laws don't even meet the common sense rule. Not sure if it is still in effect but Ohio used to (or maybe still does) have a law against riding a motorcycle with 2 ear plugs. One side was Ok but not both sides. But it was seldom enforced unless the LEO was needing a reason to hassle the rider.  I always wore ear protection & would take the ear plugs out & set them on my motorcycle seat while talking to the LEO & never even had it mentioned.  

Or back when Michigan had a helmet law but Ohio didn't, if the road you were on inadvertently drifted into Michigan you could get a ticket for no helmet. Note: I said could get at ticket,  not would get a ticket, as it pretty well depended on the motorcycle brand that you were riding & the looks of the group you were with. The good part about that is you could usually find a cheap helmet in the weeds around the Michigan/Ohio borders as the some Ohio riders entering Michigan would buy a cheap brain bucket then toss it in the weeds as they left Michigan.  

I remember back in the 1960's my then home state of Michigan did not have a turn right on red rule.  I spent a few years out west in the northwest & at that time they had a turn right on red rule. When I returned to Michigan I must have been pulled over 5 or 6 times for making a right on red.  When I explained the deal with just returning to Michigan I never got more than a warning (no tickets) & a few LEO's even agreeing that Michigan should have a right-on-red law (Michigan does have it now).

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Some state laws don't even meet the common sense rule. Not sure if it is still in effect but Ohio used to (or maybe still does) have a law against riding a motorcycle with 2 ear plugs. One side was Ok but not both sides. But it was seldom enforced unless the LEO was needing a reason to hassle the rider.  I always wore ear protection & would take the ear plugs out & set them on my motorcycle seat while talking to the LEO & never even had it mentioned.  

Or back when Michigan had a helmet law but Ohio didn't, if the road you were on inadvertently drifted into Michigan you could get a ticket for no helmet. Note: I said could get at ticket  not would get a ticket as it pretty well depended on the motorcycle brand that you were riding & the looks of the group group you were with. The good part about that is you could usually find a cheap helmet in the weeds around the Michigan/Ohio borders as the some Ohio riders entering Michigan would buy a cheap brain bucket then toss it in the weeds as they left Michigan.  

I remember back in the 1960's my then home state of Michigan did not have a turn right on red rule.  I spent a few years out west in the northwest & at that time they had a turn right on red rule. When I returned to Michigan I must have been pulled over 5 or 6 times for making a right on red.  When I explained the deal with just returning to Michigan I never got more than a warning (no tickets) & a few LEO's even agreeing that Michigan should have a right-on-red law (Michigan does have it now).

Minnesota still has a one earplug only rule. I use two bright orange ones (no helmet) and have not had a problem. 

We've also had a mandatory eyeglass rule for at least 25 years (previously not needed if a legal windscreen was present), and yet I still see riders going without. If possible I ask them where they're glasses are, they point to their windshield, I let them know they are 25 years behind the times.

Know your laws, people!

DR...when I lived in CA from 1989 to 2007 they had a one ear plug rule too.  I don't know if it is still in effect or not.  I use to ride with a MotoLeo who wore two plugs and said not to worry.  I wore earplugs that were wired to my GPS for sound.  When I would approach a town I would take one out until I passed through.  At some point during our time there radar by CHP was considered illegal so there wasn't much highway ticketing.  That changed, but I don't remember when.  Maybe some of our CA colleagues can update us.  In Texas the only thing I am aware of they enforce is speed and lane splitting.  I miss lane splitting.

For Kalifornia they amended the no earplug law at some point to allow earplugs to save your hearing on a motorcycle.  CVC 27400 is the law generally prohibiting two earplugs while operating a vehicle, but also lists the exemptions and section (d) is the one you want to remember if you get stopped.  Some LEO's who've been doing this a long time may not know the section was updated with the exemption so just be nice if you have to explain it.  Although most likely you'll never have to deal with it because it's rarely enforced.

A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, earplugs in, or earphones covering, resting on, or inserted in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in Section 165.

(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any highway.

(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer’s ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.

(Amended by Stats. 2015, Ch. 451, Sec. 55. (SB 491) Effective January 1, 2016.)
  • Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 9:38 AM, dirtrider said:

Or back when Michigan had a helmet law but Ohio didn't, if the road you were on inadvertently drifted into Michigan you could get a ticket for no helmet. Note: I said could get at ticket,  not would get a ticket, as it pretty well depended on the motorcycle brand that you were riding & the looks of the group you were with. The good part about that is you could usually find a cheap helmet in the weeds around the Michigan/Ohio borders as the some Ohio riders entering Michigan would buy a cheap brain bucket then toss it in the weeds as they left Michigan.  

Yup !!  I was made aware of this craziness a few years ago by a riding buddy who lives in Ohio.  Ear plugs are illegal but you can ride without a helmet !!   I was also aware of the no standing rule but as noted I have never heard of it being enforced.   As other noted I too stand on pegs to air out and get a few more miles before needing a stop.