IGNORED

Very little clutch dis-engagement

BeemerBerg

My 2005 has very little clutch "disengagement", like only a few mm from the grip. I've adjusted the little wheel on top of the clutch lever, but no difference. 

Bike has 125K miles. Not sure if the hydraulic system has ever been bled. Maybe air in the line?

Thanks for any advice.

Kerry in Mpls

I think the wheel only adjusts the lever position for comfort. I would agree likely air in the line (or moisture, which boils to a gas under pressure) and the line needs to be bled.

13 hours ago, BeemerBerg said:

My 2005 has very little clutch "disengagement", like only a few mm from the grip. I've adjusted the little wheel on top of the clutch lever, but no difference. 

Bike has 125K miles. Not sure if the hydraulic system has ever been bled. Maybe air in the line?

Thanks for any advice.

Morning  BeemerBerg

Probably some air in the clutch line, not unheard of on the BMW hexhead motorcycles.  (usually shows up after long high speed freeway ride with no clutch usage)

You can bleed the clutch hydraulic system but most likely the air will just come back again after a long freeway ride. 

Actually, if you can get the front of your motorcycle up high (like on a very steep driveway or  part way up a trailer ramp) then use the clutch lever vigorously they will usually self bleed the air out of the line into the clutch master cylinder reservoir then you are good to go again.

The real (long term) cure is to  cut the clutch line zip ties then try to route the clutch line as smoothly & as straight as possible (no dips or high spots)  between the slave cylinder & the  handlebar master cylinder. Any high spots in the clutch line allows small air bubbles to accumulate, then eventually those small air bubbles combine into a large air bubble, then you end up with larger air bubbles & a soft clutch lever action. 

The air usually gets into the system from the slave cylinder piston vibrating (pulsing quickly) at continuous long distance high-speed  freeway riding in the engine buzzing zone with no clutch lever usage.   

In most cases just re-routing the clutch line to run straighter,  then using the clutch (or at least pulling the clutch lever in a few times during a long high speed freeway run)  will prevent the air from returning in the future. 

Worst case is you might have to replace the slave cylinder if the air in the clutch system keeps returning after a long high speed freeway run.    The slave cylinder is sealed but the seal is mainly designed to keep fluid in not keep air out if the piston vibrates at a high frequency. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1