IGNORED

Final drive/Driveshaft Service Campaign

LAF

BMW FD/DS "Inspection" service  If you r read German or can get a translator to work.  If not here you go.

BMW SERVICE CAMPAIGNOver 400,000 BMW GS for cardan check
Major construction sites in the BMW workshops: The cardan is to be checked and a vent valve retrofitted on a total of 440,000 motorcycles worldwide, especially on the R 1250 GS and R 1200 GS from 2013.

Mike Black
07/15/2022
"In order to improve long-term quality", according to BMW Motorrad's official formulation, the authorized workshops are currently being prepared for a very extensive service campaign: the cardan shafts of a total of 440,000 motorcycles worldwide are to be checked over the course of the next few months, ideally as part of the scheduled inspections will. 72,000 of them in Germany alone. The campaign primarily affects BMW's most important model: the boxer GS. Specifically, the R 1250 GS and the R 1200 GS from year of manufacture 2013, both type K50, as well as the respective adventure variants, type K51. In addition, there is the official version RT, type K52.

Alpen Masters 2021: BMW R 1250 GS
1:07 min.
Universal joint, articulation angle, corrosion
Background according to BMW, from a message to the dealers: "Service campaign during the next visit to the workshop - retrofit drainage in the swingarm and check the cardan shaft. Damage to the cardan shaft occasionally occurs, which impairs the function of the drive. In individual cases, propulsion can be lost Several factors contribute to the occurrence of damage.Corrosion effects, among others, play a role if they occur at functionally relevant points.Signs of wear caused by running time or particular climatic and dynamic loads can also lead to component damage. These effects can be caused by the geometric chassis design (kink angle of the universal joints in the swing arm) be reinforced."

R 1200 GS, R 1250 GS and official RT
Apparently, a conspicuous accumulation of cardan defects was found in the Boxer GS from year of manufacture 2013 (with water-cooled engine) and in the R 1200 RT and R 1250 RT in the official version. With the GS, the cardan is subject to greater stress due to the concept, because of the longer spring deflection and the associated articulation angle between the cardan tunnel and the rear axle drive. This is where the cardan's rear universal joint is located. In addition, depending on the user, there is more or less tough enduro use. In any case, the authorities' RT are subjected to above-average strain, for example when driving over high curbs.

[IMG]

Cardan check with special device
So that the cardan does not have to be opened on all 440,000 motorcycles concerned, every authorized workshop is to be given a special test device. Instead of the rear wheel, a measuring disk is mounted, and then the cardan is dragged over the rear axle while idling, that is, rotated. This stress test runs over various load changes and speeds, with sensors monitoring the forces and vibrations. If everything stays within the predefined normal range, the checked gimbal is considered "okay". If there are any abnormalities, a closer look is taken. In particular, the universal joint with its four roller bearings, but also the gearing to the rear axle drive is checked for rust and damage. Should parts then have to be replaced,

Vent hole with beak valve
In principle, a vent on the cardan tunnel is retrofitted during this service campaign. For this purpose, a small hole is drilled on the underside in the rear area, near the universal joint, using a prepared template. In order to avoid the formation of potentially harmful metal chips, the drill should be lubricated beforehand. A rubber beak valve is then inserted into this hole using a kind of piercing tool. This special valve is intended to seal the hole to the outside, but allow air and, above all, moisture to escape from the cardan tunnel. This ventilation is supported by the pumping movements during compression and rebound. If water runs out immediately after drilling, this is also a reason to inspect the cardan more closely.

45 minutes per motorcycle
A total of 45 minutes are planned for the cardan check including retrofitting the ventilation. Of course, this campaign is free of charge - at least for the customers, BMW will incur some costs.

Cardan ventilation now in series
Since October 2021, the Paralever single-sided swingarms of the BMW R 1250 GS and R 1250 GS Adventure have been equipped with ventilation ex works. As a precaution, since November 2021 the swingarms of all other models with paralever and cardan as well. A second duckbill valve is also used in the front area of the swingarm bearing, so that the cardan can exhale condensation even better. In the case of water ingress through leaks and/or mishandling of high-pressure cleaners, the chances of drying are at least more favorable and therefore less favorable for the formation of rust.

CONCLUSION
As a precaution, BMW has checked the cardan shaft on 440,000 motorcycles and retrofitted with ventilation. That's better - and no reason to panic. Affected owners do not have to go to the workshop immediately, they can wait for their next appointment.

• Thanks 3

And this was my reply :

We can thank Jim for promoting us to do this service. I did it to my 15 RT and my 17.5 GS.  He has been promoting this for many many years on ADV Rider.  

JVB Productions

Seems to me this introduces a bunch or workmanship problems.

First the drilling with oil. The only way I know to trap drill bit swag it with wax. You coat the bit, drill wipe of the swag drill some more, clean and go through with fresh wax on the bit. Even then we got no guarantee of who is doing this and his expertise.

Then are they lubing the splines and then with what?

Then we got the boot and seal. Are they using factory Staburags? It is expensive but has worked well for me. I am sure there is a substitute. My 17.5 GS was sealed as tight as a drum with it. Cleaning it off was worse then dropping the FD. I made sure it was the same going back on.

So it the average tech going to do this without getting metal fillings in the housing, ripping your boot, are they lubing the spines, are they sealing the boot well and correct, and finally what happens when they keep meeting the people who have rust welded final drive and drive shafts? Who is going to foot those bills? You are talking a drive shaft and a final drive cost!

I hope most people have read the Threadfest of Jim's on FD maintenance.

And this is NOT just GS/GSA, my 15 RT was rusted pretty good when I preformed this service at Jim's prompting.

I suspect BMW is meeting those people that have not, and that has prompted this "service"

Me, I think I will pass and just keep doing maintenance.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
6 hours ago, RadioFlyer said:

See my post over here for some related news.

It will be interesting to see what correspondence comes out of the OEM about the replacement shaft and the global logistical timeframe expected. At 110,XXXKm I'd be happy to receive a new shaft however, I'd be surprised if they were offering a $1400 USD / $2200 AUD item at zero cost. Happy to be wrong..  

7 hours ago, Aussie Mark said:

It will be interesting to see what correspondence comes out of the OEM about the replacement shaft and the global logistical timeframe expected. At 110,XXXKm I'd be happy to receive a new shaft however, I'd be surprised if they were offering a $1400 USD / $2200 AUD item at zero cost. Happy to be wrong..  

The new LC DS is like 250 bucks now.  It is a very cheap item all things considered BMW.

• Smile 1