IGNORED

2006 R1200RT with 35,000 kms. Spark plug problem.

Justplayingdice

Justplayingdice

I have the Haynes manual for the BMW bikes including the above mentioned R1200RT.  I have gotten the primary spark plugs out fairly quickly and easily, but I am having difficulty with figuring out where the secondary spark plugs are at.  The manual says that you should just be able to attach the spark plug socket from underneath and remove easily.  I'm not finding it that easy.  I have removed the cowling screws just to get a better look at the underside of the where the secondary spark plug should be but all I'm see another covering with wiring.  Is it like the primary where you have to carefully unclip the wiring from the covering and then pry carefully off before you can see the socket?

Grateful for any advice as I'm trying to fix the bike up to sell.

Thank you.

Just Playing Dice

you gotta pull out the coil stick, then you should be able to insert the socket to get to the plug.  Some folks say you'll need a thin walled socket, I just use my craftsman deepwell socket and get it out.

5 hours ago, Justplayingdice said:

I have the Haynes manual for the BMW bikes including the above mentioned R1200RT.  I have gotten the primary spark plugs out fairly quickly and easily, but I am having difficulty with figuring out where the secondary spark plugs are at.  The manual says that you should just be able to attach the spark plug socket from underneath and remove easily.  I'm not finding it that easy.  I have removed the cowling screws just to get a better look at the underside of the where the secondary spark plug should be but all I'm see another covering with wiring.  Is it like the primary where you have to carefully unclip the wiring from the covering and then pry carefully off before you can see the socket?

Grateful for any advice as I'm trying to fix the bike up to sell.

Thank you.

Just Playing Dice

Morning  Justplayingdice

Remove the coil cover, then carefully twist/pull on the coil while (carefully) working it off the spark plug (coil is 90° angled). You can leave the wire pigtail connected to the coil if you are very/very careful to not tug or pull on it during coil removal. 

If the coil rubber boot is stuck hard to the spark plug porcelain then reach up above the top of the rubber boot with a spark plug boot remover, or use a bent wire hook, then pull the boot away from the spark plug porcelain while squirting a little (very little) silicone in the gap    (caution: if the boot is stuck hard due to heat & time  you can tear the rubber boot if not careful)

The spark plug hex sits in a recession in the cylinder head so a somewhat thin walled socket is usually required to get a full bite on the spark plug hex. 

When re-installing the coil on the new spark plug put a little spark plug boot lube (basically silicone based grease) on the inside of the coil rubber boot to prevent it from sticking (makes coil removal next time MUCH easier with WAY less of a chance of damaging the  coil's boot at coil removal) -- You can get proper spark plug boot lube at most local auto parts stores.   

teT4nAV.jpg

• Plus 1 1