IGNORED

How do you Chane the Handlebar Angle??

Randyjaco

Maybe I have strange hands, but they don't seem to like the angle of the bars on my 2017 RT. It is my understanding that when riding my knuckle joints should line up with the bars as in the first picture. The problem is my knuckles look more like the second photo. I haven't seen anything on the market that changes the angle of the handle bars. Any suggestions?

PXL_20220715_191938560.jpg

PXL_20220715_191951080.jpg

PXL_20220715_192014566.jpg

The angle is not changeable. For many of us, keeping the wrist straight greatly reduces the chances of our fingers going numb on longer rides . Another thing to keep in mind ,is that many people squeeze the grips much harder than they need to . . This constant tension creates undo muscle cramping from the fingers all the way through the shoulders .

1 hour ago, Randyjaco said:

Maybe I have strange hands, but they don't seem to like the angle of the bars on my 2017 RT. It is my understanding that when riding my knuckle joints should line up with the bars as in the first picture. The problem is my knuckles look more like the second photo. I haven't seen anything on the market that changes the angle of the handle bars. Any suggestions?

Evening Randyjaco

Changing that grip angle will be difficult without bending the bar ends, or making (machining) some bar risers that also have an angle change (there are some bar risers available for your motorcycle but as far as I know they can't change the grip angle.

I have somewhat the same issue due to my shoulder width & wrist angles, I have no problem riding as I pretty well ride with a very loose grip on the bars.

But I do use a little helper to allow my hands to feel more comfortable for long distances. I simply cut a Grip Puppy in half  (actually shorter than 1/2), then install the short end  (end with the taper) on the inner part of the grip.  That changes my grip feel & allows it to have a more natural feel (REALLY helps on longer rides). 

Not a  big deal on a motorcycle with cruise control as I  typically ride those one handed (or with one on the grip & one very loose on the other grip) then swap the loose held side every few minutes. 

See picture below for how a cut Grip Puppy fits & looks. (something for you to try anyhow) 

9UxeJay.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1

Another thing to try Randy is relaxing your shoulder and elbows more.  Looks like you probably have your elbows out flying in the breeze to cause that hand angle because your wrists look like they are still straight.

Maybe relax your shoulders more to let your elbows come in, OR maybe scoot up closer to the front of the seat a bit.  That makes your wrists bend out a bit and lets your hands match the angle of the bars better.  Anything to change your wrist angle.  That's what Dirtrider is doing with the grip puppy's.

Test by just holding your arms out while standing or sitting in a chair and pretend you're holding on to your handlebars.  If your elbows are out, pull them in while watching your hands and you should see  that the forearm and hand angle turns out and matches the bars better.

• 2 months later...

Well, after some research I tried another option. Ebay had some cheap risers that looked interesting and they were less than $40.  So, I bought them and tried them out. The results were excellent. Raising the bar height helped a lot. There is quite a bit of adjustability, so I was also able to move the bars forward a bit, allowing me to maintain my semi-crouch. I think that I solved my problem. So far I have about 300 miles on them.

There is a big harry but. They failed to state in the add, that "Special Tools are Required!" The tools are pretty easy to make. A handy individual with a drill press and a hack saw could fab the puller. You are also going to need an extra M10 x 75 mm bolt.PXL_20220921_201338283.thumb.jpg.0c2d4c3a2671f47f71d17ba6c67b8e47.jpgPXL_20220918_181826322.thumb.jpg.adeb9470d7492b8a135bac78e364b972.jpg

On 7/15/2022 at 12:45 PM, Randyjaco said:

PXL_20220715_191938560.jpg

PXL_20220715_191951080.jpg

PXL_20220715_192014566.jpg

I notice a big difference between my '00 and my '16 which makes my wrists sore and my hand muscles cramp up.  I have to do stretches in wrists/fingers/hand before heading out.

The second picture in the OP above post is the ice cream cone method of holding the grip and it is what most trainers will teach.  Gives the best throttle control and brake control.  Usually does not require handlebars to be changed to achieve it.