IGNORED

H2O heater question for the brain trust

Sonor

All,

It's that time again to replace the water heater. Essentially, tankless or standard is the question. It is just the two of us so water useage is not like there are teenagers in the house. We could go with a replacement of what we have for $2300 but it is located (stupidly) in the attic. To go with a tankless, we would put it in the crawl space, install a water recycler in the master bathroom so the hot water would get there faster. The cost of this is around $7500. I really don't see where the energy used would favor one or the other as they would both be natural gas. Mrs. Sonor has also raised the question of when she retires, IF we were to move, would one or the other assist with the sale of the house. I believe there would be no cost benefit, just if there is a tank in the attic, some might get scared away.

So there you have it. Save nearly $5000 and go tankless or stay with the risk we have had for 20 years and replace like-with-like?

Not on point with your question but went to a friend's house in Charlotte. We went up in his attic. Could not believe his water heater was up there. Is there a logic to that? 
Back on point. I am going to be faced with the same dilemma. At this time, I think I'll save the $$ and replace pretty much what I have. BTW, it did not scare my friend away from buying his home.

$2300/$7500, wow, prices be high over there in Orange,....what size tank is that for conventional?, I'd be getting better estimates.

I've been considering a tankless for our house, run from propane, the cost here would be about $2500 installed and support four bedrooms.  But, about three years ago, our conventional water heater died, so I replaced it.  50gal electric, under $1k

• Like 1

I'd go with what you got..... with teenagers maybe spend the extra but w/just the two of ya I'd replace like with like.

47 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

I'd go with what you got..... with teenagers maybe spend the extra but w/just the two of ya I'd replace like with like.

Ya, that'd be nice if the grandboys didn't live 1000ft across the pasture and are here daily along with their mother.  Wife calls them "the moochers next door", I call them "freegrazers".  The question is, is it really just the two of them or do they have hang around visitors.

If'n it's just the two, conventional would be the way to go, 'specially since he's got it on gas.

For me, mine is 'lectric, so that's why I'm tossing 'round a propane tankless.  Lose power, I still have propane and the little generator can click off the tankless to heat the water.

I just think the estimates are quite high, hell, I'll travel to Orange to install the conventional for a fee;):dontknow:;)

• Like 1

My late father in law was a master plumber. He told me the fine print on tank water heaters stated to not place in extremely hot locations (attics) but builders still do it to save square footage. They only have to last a year and it’s not their problem. He tried a tankless and got rid of it quickly. Just him and his wife in the home. This was over 10 years ago so tankless might be better now. 

1 hour ago, Rinkydink said:

My late father in law was a master plumber. He told me the fine print on tank water heaters stated to not place in extremely hot locations (attics) but builders still do it to save square footage. They only have to last a year and it’s not their problem. He tried a tankless and got rid of it quickly. Just him and his wife in the home. This was over 10 years ago so tankless might be better now. 

I think they've improved over the years.  A former neighbor of mine has one for about five years now.  Just him and his wife, he's retired, she still works.  Grandkids never spend the night at their place.  He likes the "unending" hot water.  His tankless is in the unconditioned garage.

Sonor...water heaters in the attic are the norm in Houston.  I don't know why either.  I have 2 - 100 gallon gas water heaters in my attic.  It does concern me, but I have them serviced every year.  They flush them (all kinds of sediment comes out which is the major cause of failure), replace the cutoff valve every 3 years, and replace the anodes every 3 years.  These were replaced in 2015.  The cost for the heaters and install was $4200. 

At the beach house there are two tankless heaters about 1 year old in the garage.  I bet the garage gets 120 degrees in the summer when no one there.  I was surprised the tankless heaters have hot water temperature equivalent to our gas heaters.  I had always heard for safety reasons they were set at 120 degrees.  There are no temperature adjustments on these units, but they are plenty hot.

Faced with your decision, which I was in a prior home, I would go back with gas heaters.  We found out through estimates, it was going to require a pretty good plumbing change as well.  I don't remember exactly but one of the main water lines had to be changed to a bigger size and rerouted.  Of course part of it was in an outside wall which added cost.  I can't remember exactly the cost now, but even if the tankless lasted 20 years (around $12,000), the payback versus gas just wasn't there.  Heck I don't even buy green bananas anymore.

I check my gas heaters pretty often to make sure there is no water in the drain pans.  If mine were to blow....it would be really really expensive based on where they are.

5 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I have 2 - 100 gallon gas water heaters in my attic.

200 gallons :14::14:  Are the Rockets, Astros and Texans showering there?:4323:

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

No but they can:19:  

How's the covid thing treating you........been out in the heat to burn it off?

Yea, Orange Cnty NC sucks for taxes and building codes. We have had two estimates so far and $2300 seems to be the going price for a conventional swap out in place.

Thanks everyone for you thoughts. I just can't justify spending nearly $5000 more for a tankless that uses a nominal amount less of energy.

• Like 1

Thanks. Covid gone. I feel good. I’m back on my walking schedule so lots of heat. I spend a lot of time outside sweating my but off until it hits 95 then more cautious. My garage is my sanctuary and it doesn’t have ac. Yesterday I evacuated and charged the air on wife’s car. Today building a frame from 4x4’s for a friends compressor. When it’s 106 like it’s been for over a week, not much outdoors

2 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks. Covid gone. I feel good. I’m back on my walking schedule so lots of heat. I spend a lot of time outside sweating my but off until it hits 95 then more cautious. My garage is my sanctuary and it doesn’t have ac. Yesterday I evacuated and charged the air on wife’s car. Today building a frame from 4x4’s for a friends compressor. When it’s 106 like it’s been for over a week, not much outdoors

Good on ya!!  Glad ya feeling gooder

• Plus 1 1