IGNORED

Suspension Question

Rotor

The shocks on my 05 RT are shot (meaning there is no adjustment in the ESA).  No change in the ride height between adjustments and no indication on the dash that the new adjustment has been made.  Is the preload motor rebuildable/repairable?  The dampening adjustment doesn’t appear to be working either; however, I think there may be workarounds for that part but I can’t have them rebuilt if the preload doesn’t work.

Honestly, I’m up to my eyes on this bike.  It’s a good bike and I believe it’s basically sound but I can’t justify the funds required for new aftermarket suspension unless I can get these rebuilt.  Juuusst asking…  Yes, I’ve looked around for used shocks.  You should see the rusted corroded crap being offered for stupid money.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

Try talking to Ted Porter at BeemerShop.com, he knows the BMW suspension better than anyone else I know.  I'm sure he can give you all the options... And his website will assist as well.

• Plus 1 1
31 minutes ago, DJDixon said:

Try talking to Ted Porter at BeemerShop.com, he knows the BMW suspension better than anyone else I know.  I'm sure he can give you all the options... And his website will assist as well.

Thanks DJ.  Yes, I've seen his videos and his site, which is why I know the preload adjusted needs to work before a rebuild can be done.  Sorry, please accept my apologies, don't mean to be rude.  I knew I'd be putting money into it, but not for $2000.00 worth of suspension.  Just looking for ideas.

Respectfully,

Ted Porter sells more than Ohlin and Wilbur.  Tell him what your budget is.  He will usually ask that and a bunch more questions anyway.  He understands budgets.  Hear what he has to say.  You can always say "no".

I've purchased two sets of shocks from him and I seriously believe both were the best safety, comfort, and pleasure purchases/investments for each of the two bikes I've made.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Rotor said:

The shocks on my 05 RT are shot (meaning there is no adjustment in the ESA).  No change in the ride height between adjustments and no indication on the dash that the new adjustment has been made.  Is the preload motor rebuildable/repairable?  The dampening adjustment doesn’t appear to be working either; however, I think there may be workarounds for that part but I can’t have them rebuilt if the preload doesn’t work.

Honestly, I’m up to my eyes on this bike.  It’s a good bike and I believe it’s basically sound but I can’t justify the funds required for new aftermarket suspension unless I can get these rebuilt.  Juuusst asking…  Yes, I’ve looked around for used shocks.  You should see the rusted corroded crap being offered for stupid money.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

Morning John

Unfortunately I can't offer you a definitive answer as the 2005 1200RT rear struts are a strange thing to figure out.

The 2005 1200RT originally came with a hall-effect type rear strut. A large number of those failed as they couldn't be calibrated or made/kept functional by the BMW dealers.  

So BMW replaced a number of them under warranty with the later 1200RT  potentiometer-type ESA spring strut then did a computer update to allow the motorcycle electronics to control & read the new style potentiometer-type  spring struts.

Then to complicate it even more the early ESA calibrations didn't supply enough amps to the rear strut adjuster to move it when it got dirty or sticky so BMW had another update (computer update) to increase the power (increase the amps) supplied to the rear strut preload adjuster.  

Then to complicate (or define) it even more yet there was a BMW service bulletin on unplugging the blue rear strut connector then supplying a full 12 volts to it , first in one polarity & then the other polarity with the hopes of using that full 12 volts to unstick the rear adjuster seat & get it moving again. Once it moved (if you can get it moving!) then you can spray in some lubrication to get (and keep) it moving easier. 

You might first TRY__ putting the motorcycle on the center stand (to take as much load off of the rear adjuster as possible), then spraying a little penetrating oil into the upper spring seat/adjuster area just above the spring top. 

Then try using the ESA setting control (with engine running) to adjust the preload up & down to see if you can get it moving again.

If that doesn't work then unplug the blue connector, then on the strut side pigtail try going directly to the blue connector pins with 12v (direct from battery)  & ground (direct from battery) first in one polarity then in the other polarity to see IF that will get the spring seat moving again.  

As mentioned above, you might try calling Ted Porter & tell him you have a 2005 as maybe he has some other things you need to know about the 2005 system as it pertains to his rebuilds.  

• Like 1

Thank you D.R. That's good information and I'll give it a try.  I'll also give Ted a call just to see what other options are.  Again, thanks to all for the assist.

Well, I called Ted.  Probably shouldn't have done that...  Looks like I'll be purchasing a suspension package from him in the near future.  :4617:

• Like 1

Preload died on my '06 RT ESA in 2012, about a year after I got it. Dealer wasn't much help, couldn't/wouldn't pinpoint the problem.  My own investigations and experiments pointed to a computer issue - motor worked, potentiometer that sensed position was within accepted values, wiring and connectors were all good back to the ZFE.  I did find mentions of an update to increase the current to the preload motor. Dealer denied that, said no programming update was available, quoted $2500+ for a new rear shock without actually saying why the original was bad. My feeling was that they really were not interested in resolving the issue, and I don't beg people to take my money, so they've not gotten any more.

Instead I just took the motor off the shock and adjusted preload manually (twice).  At about 40K miles, I started noticing a bit of wallowing in fast curves and started shopping. Ended up with Tractives from Ted.  They retain the electric damping adjustments, have springs matched to my loads, and a manual preload adjuster under the seat. Both shocks came to just over $2K.  Ted was very quick to call me when I emailed a question about installation (go ahead, bend the bracket down if the adjuster hits the seat), and we had a nice chat.

Initially, I noticed the ride was very good on all roads, and though the bike was certainly handling well, I did feel a little underwhelmed.  It took me a while to figure it out, and some time comparing my recorded GPS tracks, but I found I was actually taking the curves a bit faster than I had with the old shocks. It just did not feel as fast because I was in better control, without the wallowing and "excitement" that had made me think I was near the limit.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Preload died on my '06 RT ESA in 2012, about a year after I got it. Dealer wasn't much help, couldn't/wouldn't pinpoint the problem.  My own investigations and experiments pointed to a computer issue - motor worked, potentiometer that sensed position was within accepted values, wiring and connectors were all good back to the ZFE.  I did find mentions of an update to increase the current to the preload motor. Dealer denied that, said no programming update was available, quoted $2500+ for a new rear shock without actually saying why the original was bad. My feeling was that they really were not interested in resolving the issue, and I don't beg people to take my money, so they've not gotten any more.

Evening Larry

I know that this is water over the dam  but if something like this happens again (or to anyone else) ask the dealer to look at any service bulletins that apply to that motorcycle.

The service bulletin covering that ZFE current-increase programming came out in 2008 (way before your 2012 issue) so there was no excuse for them to not have that info available. It even gave the proper CIP update to install (24th I-level).       

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Larry

I know that this is water over the dam  but if something like this happens again (or to anyone else) ask the dealer to look at any service bulletins that apply to that motorcycle.

The service bulletin covering that ZFE current-increase programming came out in 2008 (way before your 2012 issue) so there was no excuse for them to not have that info available. It even gave the proper CIP update to install (24th I-level).       

Yes, I actually have a copy of the bulletin now (Bulletin #: 61 001 08 (015)). I'm not sure if I had it at the time or found it later.  I'm sure I knew about it, because I was very frustrated by the dealer denying that it existed.  I probably could have tried another dealer, but the next nearest was 90+ miles away.  Oh well, like you said, over the dam, and I really don't change preload all that often anyway.  It just annoys me when things don't work like they should.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:58 PM, Rotor said:

Well, I called Ted.  Probably shouldn't have done that...  Looks like I'll be purchasing a suspension package from him in the near future.  :4617:

When I had my 'talk' with Ted I ordered a set of YSS for my non-ESA RT for a good deal less than $2000. I have been very happy with YSS suspension for the last two years.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Yes, we did discuss the YSS option along with others.  Ted’s very thorough and after providing him with some specifics about my bike (ESA with the preload and dampening motor non-functional), my weight, needs and riding style, it pretty much ruled out any conversion unless I wanted to try and find used shocks and hope the motors were good in them.  So, that left the YSS or the TracTive and he offered the pros/cons for both.  After listening, I decided to “cry once” and go with the TracTive.  The nice thing is that I can purchase one next month and the other a month or two later which eases the initial purchase pain.  He did offer a better deal than what is advertised on his site so that helped the decision making.

2 hours ago, Rotor said:

Hi Dave,

Yes, we did discuss the YSS option along with others.  Ted’s very thorough and after providing him with some specifics about my bike (ESA with the preload and dampening motor non-functional), my weight, needs and riding style, it pretty much ruled out any conversion unless I wanted to try and find used shocks and hope the motors were good in them.  So, that left the YSS or the TracTive and he offered the pros/cons for both.  After listening, I decided to “cry once” and go with the TracTive.  The nice thing is that I can purchase one next month and the other a month or two later which eases the initial purchase pain.  He did offer a better deal than what is advertised on his site so that helped the decision making.

I am sure you will be happy with your choice.

• Like 1
On 7/12/2022 at 1:58 PM, Rotor said:

Yes indeed it is a hard financial gulp to buy "shocks" for your bike because it sure isn't like going to the local auto shop and having a set of Monoroes put on the family sedan.  The upside is hinted at by Ikraus where after installing high quality aftermarket suspension with springs to match you and how you ride is that your bike will handle better than it was when new.   Not a fully comparable situation but when I gulped hard shelling out $$ for Ohlins on my '99RT and once set up I ended up I actually began regretting not doing it sooner. It transformed that bike from good to great handling, and better still I thought it was more safe to ride as it kept the tires planted on the road no matter what ripple, dip or bump encountered.

• Like 1

A friend just dropped well over $3000 (closer to $4k) for full suspension on a Harley. Says it is worth every penny. Tough pill to swallow.

On 7/12/2022 at 1:58 PM, Rotor said:

Yep, we are not surprised. Welcome to the fray!!

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 3:54 PM, Rotor said:

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

I have a set of good used non-esa shocks for sale $150 delivered.

Mark

18 hours ago, Mark C said:

I have a set of good used non-esa shocks for sale $150 delivered.

Mark

Really appreciate the offer, Mark.  I believe I'm going with the TracTive set-up that Ted offers.