IGNORED

74 R50/5

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

Hi, everybody, haven't been around here in years, not long after Carl Williiams'  Widowmaker VFR tossed me into a rock cliff.  I may forgive him someday.

My son in law and family are moving to Holland.  He has his father's 1974 Euro spec R50/5 in Austin, and needs to dispose of it.  It's complete as far as I can tell, but is a true derelict, needing a complete bottom to top restoration.  Hasn't run in 20 years.  I'm looking for suggestions on how to value it, where to sell it, etc, to someone who wants a restoration project.   If Edd was still with us, he'd part it out, but I'm incapable of such an undertaking.

Anyway, stay away from offers to ride Carl's bikes, ride safe, lemmeknow if you have an opinion.

Cheers,

Mark

roadscholar
2 hours ago, markgoodrich said:

Hi, everybody, haven't been around here in years, not long after Carl Williiams'  Widowmaker VFR tossed me into a rock cliff.  I may forgive him someday.

My son in law and family are moving to Holland.  He has his father's 1974 Euro spec R50/5 in Austin, and needs to dispose of it.  It's complete as far as I can tell, but is a true derelict, needing a complete bottom to top restoration.  Hasn't run in 20 years.  I'm looking for suggestions on how to value it, where to sell it, etc, to someone who wants a restoration project.   If Edd was still with us, he'd part it out, but I'm incapable of such an undertaking.

Anyway, stay away from offers to ride Carl's bikes, ride safe, lemmeknow if you have an opinion.

Cheers,

Mark

Hey Mark, from the sound of it that bike probably falls into the category of 'costs more to restore than worth when done'. I checked with the local airhead guru before posting and he said exactly what I was thinking, $500.-1000. as is. I've had a couple R60/5's and they are no rocket but the R50 I test rode once was w/o doubt the slowest accelerating multi cylinder bike I've ever ridden which may even include a Honda 50 when I was 15 : } How it could be that much slower than an R60 is appalling, pin it in 1st gear and... wait for something to happen!

The good news is you (or someone you know) might be able to get it running  w/o too much work which could likely double it's value (battery, fresh gas, maybe a little Marvel Mystery oil soak down the spark plug holes), surprisingly that old stuff can recover from hibernation better than one would expect. I'd think the the most likely candidate is a young hipster (or two) that wants to cannibalize it into their version of bike art. If running I'd stick it on Craigslist for 2200. if not, 1200. and see what happens. It'll attract some bottom feeders and may be a minor hassle but probably sell.  

• Plus 1 1
markgoodrich

Yeah, thanks, Bill, pretty much what I have been thinking, but on the other hand the local BMW club's president offered $1,500 after looking at some photos.  I think my son in law should take it. But then I also think he shouldn't take my daughter and grandsons to freaking Holland.  No one listens to me......................................................

And nah, I ain't gonna do anything like try to get it to run, that means it would be in my garage and would prolly never leave.

Thanks again.

• Like 3

Put in 6th street and say it use to belong to Beto. 😁You’ll get a fortune for it

Are you still riding?

markgoodrich

David, nope, sold my RT maybe in 2018, all those fractured ribs caused post traumatic stress, every time I came to a high speed left turn my heart was in my throat, and then I developed a hearing issue which brought along with it vertigo, not a good idea to be anywhere but on a floor when that stuff hit...cuz that's where I'd end up in about two seconds when an attack started.  But haven't had one in a long time, so am waiting for BMW to finish the design of the air conditioned RT and maybe then I'll return to riding. It's 105 in my back yard right now.  Not that I'd ride a bike in my back yard, but still...

Cheers. good to hear from you.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

When Sharon restored her R26 in 2010-2011 it cost more than it was worth, for sure.  In her case the bike has a lot of sentimental value, so it was worth it to her.  I'm feeling the $1500 offer is a good deal.