IGNORED

Mapping Software & GPS

pbbeck

I am a Mac person. I have been since my first Mac Plus with 1Mb or RAM. Can anyone recommend a software package for maping/route planning? It would be a bonus if I could use it in conjunction w/ my Nav II/Garmin GPS (though I know the chances of that are slim!). I'm running OS X 10.4.6 on a G5 processor.

Route 66 is about your only choice, and it is mediocre. (Can you use some of the PC emulation software? Not sure. I hate that stuff.)

When you update your computer, get one of the Intel-based one and run Windows in native mode. thumbsup.gif

Just got a MacBook and installed Boot Camp and Windows XP. It works great with Garmin POI Loader software. I assume it also would work with other GPS software.

You could try MacGPS pro, their website is www.macgpspro.com I have been using it sucessfully for a while now. As already posted, Garmin is introducing full support for the Mac platform by the end of this year.

The MacGPS Pro is a new site to me, so, I had to check it out. There was an extensive list of GPS units that were supported by their Macintosh software. I have a Nav II GPS and it was not in the list. I emailed this afternoon (Memorial Day) and already got a reply. Unfortunately, the BMW Nav II is not supported. Sure can't fault the speedy, holiday reply, though. Their price for their map software seemed reasonable, too - $60.

Archived