IGNORED

Linden, NJ to Montana in a '76 Beetle

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta
My son, Jeff, and grandson, Joseph, are about midway through this year's epic journey in the unairconditioned 76 Beetle. From Linden, NJ to Toronto, over the Superior, thru ND into Montana. Unknown turnaround point.  Last year's journey started in Linden and landed in Big Bend National Park.

IMG_0174.JPEG

IMG_0198.JPEG

IMG_0199.JPEG

IMG_0201.JPEG

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

into Montana

Tell them not to turn around until they drive the Going To The Sun Rd. They’ll thank ya for that bit of advice, I promise. :thumbsup:

John Ranalletta
37 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Tell them not to turn around until they drive the Going To The Sun Rd. They’ll thank ya for that bit of advice, I promise. :thumbsup:

Thanks, but advice is not something Jeff needs from dad.  They'll do okay. I hope they get over Beartooth and Chief Joseph.

1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

Thanks, but advice is not something Jeff needs from dad. 

Jeff is your son, right? He has to be older than 19, he’ll appreciate your advice. :spittake:

• Haha 1
roadscholar
15 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Thanks, but advice is not something Jeff needs from dad.  They'll do okay. I hope they get over Beartooth and Chief Joseph.

They should, I made it over Beartooth in a 64 Beetle with just 1200cc’s/36hp, barely : )

• Like 1

I'm proud of those kids for going adventuring! Road trips are my favorite. The Beetle sure adds an element.

My father took me, 4 years old, my two brothers, 2 and 1 year old, and his 16 year old brother-in-law, on a 3 or 4 day road trip around Lake Superior in 1969 in a 1967 Volkswagen, using the change from the coffee can on the kitchen counter for gas money. My traveling bug was born early.

Good luck to them!

Edited by Hosstage
  • Like 1
John Ranalletta

The boys are east of Cody making for Sheridan via the Bighorns, I think. I also think this is the road Ken and two other riders took when we met up for lunch at the Dayton Mercantile. 

Yesterday, they visited a family friend in W. Yellowstone, watched Old Faithful and made it to Cody for the night.

68E958BE-726A-4D92-AA3D-0DD62B1F8CD2.jpeg

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
7 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Ah, I see they took some route advice from Bill!  :yes:

Maybe...

• Like 1
roadscholar

:grin:

68E958BE-726A-4D92-AA3D-0DD62B1F8CD2.jpeg

Love the photo, true adventure and the right tool for the job. In the 50's my grandfather had a Beetle and loved it, said it was the only car that could get him thru the soft sand of his orange groves to inspect the trees.

• Like 1

How are they planning their nightly stops? Booking places ahead of time or they running the Gump plan? :classic_biggrin:

image.jpeg

John Ranalletta
2 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

How are they planning their nightly stops? Booking places ahead of time or they running the Gump plan? :classic_biggrin:

image.jpeg

Gump mostly.  I think they pick a target for the night's stay but don't make reservations.  They haven't had to car camp on this trip. Keep in mind, two 200+ pounders trying to sleep in the beetle is a challenge, especially when one snores.

• Like 1

See, if you kept that fab shop, with a few hours cutting and welding, they’d be living large! :classic_biggrin:

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
52 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Almost over

3455384A-D3D6-4DC3-8BC8-CEB9994B8A87.jpeg

Mixed feelings! Glad it's almost over, sad it's almost over.