IGNORED

A trip to Wales part two

Steve1962

Here we are at the meet point ............

Andy's wife Sheila by his bike .......

Wales031Large.jpg

George and Kathy next to his steed ..........

Wales032Large.jpg

and a weather report ............

Wales030Large.jpg

This lady [ Celia Fiennes ] rode a horse all over the country , and wrote her account of it ............. sometime around 1698 ................. near to this point she had an encounter with Highwaymen .......... AND NO ...... ANDY WASN'T THERE AT THE TIME grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Wales033Large.jpg

Wales035Large.jpg

A cunning plan invloving the use of GPS to find the next place of interest backfired , when we got lost round some back streets blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif, so naturally we asked ............ a 10 year old boy who was play fighting with a plastic sword with his friends ............ true enough , he pointed us in the right direction ........... grin.gifgrin.gif

This was a 13th Century castle ............

Wales036Large.jpg

Wales039Large.jpg

Wales042Large.jpg

and this lot bravely stood by whilst I risked life and limb [ ok ..I scrambled up a bank ] .to get those photos .......

Wales037Large.jpg

Onward once more ................ to Wayne Rooney land ..... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Wales045Large.jpg

Then off for a drink .......... and get ready for a Steve Edwards classic [ otherwise known as ......... stupid question , with answer right in bloody front of me ] .........

Pub on Welsh hill , so I enquire ............ " so what's so special about this place then ??"

[ please bear in mind we'd been there 5 mins and I had taken the prerequisite 40 ,000 photos ] .......

Looking upon the wall .RIGHT IN FRONT OF WHERE WE PARKED THE BIKES ...............

Wales052Large.jpg

At this point , I was desperatley looking for that huge hole in the ground , ready to jump right in .HEAD FIRST !!

Some photos ...........

Wales053Large.jpg

Wales054Large.jpg

Wales055Large.jpg

The Panzer ..........

Wales056Large.jpg

After some food and drink , we left to make our way home , with Andy taking us down some great roads along the way , and George having to test his brakes , when a suicidal sheep [ large size ] ....jumped out onto the road right in front of him , before legging it across the road ..... and then there was Andy , who also had to look sharp when a car driver pulled out of a junction right in front of him , on a hill !!

We made one more stop for a cuppa , before heading on homewards , with me laving the other two at Shrewsbury to make my way South .

Got home at 7.00 pm , with the trip metre showing 385 miles for the day .

Great fun , with great friends , on great roads !! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Steve

Great day out today Steve, made all the better by your words and pictures.

What a great way to spend the day, riding with your friends, great country roads, good pubs to stop and rest at.

Kathy and I had a long day, but what a day. We arrived home around 18.30, covering just under 400 miles.

Many thanks to you, also Andy and Sheila for a memorable ride out.

When and where next??

Sportsmans Arms was between 450-440 metres above sea level

Great stuff. Especially enjoyed the castle pics and the mention of Celia Fiennes. Did a search on her and found some interesting reading.

Thanks,

Itchy

Great day out today Steve, made all the better by your words and pictures.

What a great way to spend the day, riding with your friends, great country roads, good pubs to stop and rest at.

Kathy and I had a long day, but what a day. We arrived home around 18.30, covering just under 400 miles.

Many thanks to you, also Andy and Sheila for a memorable ride out.

When and where next??

Sportsmans Arms was between 450-440 metres above sea level

The road we went on when we left that pub was great , especially when we went down the side of the valley , the views were brilliant .............. we need to do that one again !! clap.gifclap.gif

Say hello to Jack for me .

Steve

An interesting fact I just discovered , there is a tenuous link between Celia Fiennes and my family .............

Celia Fiennes was the Granddaughter of Richard Feinnes , who , in the reign of King Edward VI , reconstructed Broughton Castle which is close to Banbury .............. and is the place where my grandmother used to work as a chamber maid as a young girl in the early 1900's ........

http://www.broughtoncastle.com/archive_historichouse.htm

Another ride out methinks ......... thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Steve

Archived