IGNORED

Pikes Peak

In 2011, I completed the BMW Club of Colorado's 100,000 Foot Ride.  Afterwards, before returning to Nevada, my buddy and I decided to ride up to the top of Pikes Peak.  My 2004 RT had just been repaired for a blown engine.  It was very hot, that particular August and my engine's temp gauge was pegged, so at the turn around at 11,000 feet, we decided to bin the rest of the ride.  

11 years later, we're doing the same ride and will attempt Pikes Peak again.  This time, I'm on a 2017 GSA LC.  The bike has an actual temperature gauge.  It routinely runs in the 175-185 degree range.  Once I start climbing slowly on a hot day, I know the temps will climb.  At what point should I start getting concerned about the temps?  Thanks.   

Not sure why your rebuilt 04 heated up (using oil?) (low on oil when you started the climb) :dontknow: but, BMW shouldn’t be building motorcycles if they can’t climb a nicely paved 14K foot mountain without overheating. I wouldn’t waste an ounce of thought on your bike overheating.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Not sure why your rebuilt 04 heated up (using oil?) (low on oil when you started the climb) :dontknow: but, BMW shouldn’t be building motorcycles if they can climb a nicely paved 14K foot mountain without overheating. I wouldn’t waste an ounce of thought on your bike overheating.

Thanks.  It wasn't completely paved during my first attempt, so lots of slow going for me and perhaps not enough air passing by the heads.  Feeling much better about this attempt.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

Same, first time I did it there was some dirt sections. I think, but I’m not a 100% certain it’s all paved now. I should remember, (but I don’t :dopeslap:)  it was only six years ago when I last rode it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I pick up my "new" 2009 R1200RT in a Denver suburb September 1st and am scheduled to ride the fully-paved Pike's Peak climb on the 2nd a between 1000 and noon. I am shooting for a position near the front of the line to keep the air flowing as I climb. (That's my story and I'm sticking with it). 

While I will enjoy, and happily look forward to my wife's family reunion over the weekend in Monument, CO, I intend a few short breaks to plaster a BMW smile on my face on nearby Rocky Mountain two-lanes. 

I have an open U-Haul trailer reserved so I can do most of the Suburban driving on the trip home. I might find it necessary to unload the RT from time to time if I hear it crying for some road miles of its own. 

Did I mention that I am looking forward to this upgrade from my 2002 1150RS?

1 hour ago, Darbarian said:

I am shooting for a position near the front of the line to keep the air flowing as I climb. (That's my story and I'm sticking with it). 

You shouldn't have any problems on a Thursday morning.  Just be ready for the $15 charge at the gate.  The $2.00 charge was just for the reservation.  We found it very easy to scoot around extra slow cars on the way up.  Have a great day!

• Like 1

I went all the way ... bought the $2 time slot reservation AND the $15 entry pass online.  I was wondering a bit about trouble with badges for overtaking slow drivers.

3 minutes ago, Darbarian said:

I went all the way ... bought the $2 time slot reservation AND the $15 entry pass online.  I was wondering a bit about trouble with badges for overtaking slow drivers.

Good idea.  I don't know why we didn't do that. 

Didn't see any constabulary on the road.  We were two GSAs and a Triumph Tiger, all with Clearwater and Denali lights up front.  A lot of folks pulled over the side a bit and let us through.  You will be naturally faster than the majority of the cars, so your passing opportunities will be numerous.

• Like 1