IGNORED

12 K service at dealer (valve clearance data)

wbw6cos

My '19 RT is coming up on a 12K service (36,000 miles) and it will be done DIY style.   I (mostly) learned how that is done from Boxflyer Tech day at FART '21 and we documented the valve clearances, Clarence, so I have a record for unusual wear, etc.   

The first 12K service was completed by the dealer and checking the paperwork, they mentioned that it was done, but did they actually document the numbers?   I did not receive any paperwork with the data and with the dealer being closed for Independence Day! until Tuesday (yeah, I can call and ask them) so I thought I would post and see if anyone with dealer knowledge can share on whether or not the tech writes down anything or just runs the feeler gauges and says it is good.   Or, if a valve is out of spec, do they change the shim and document it?  Guessing maybe they keep it on file for warranty.   In my factory service manual dvd, there are valve clearance check sheets, so it is possible that I have answered my own question.  :ohboy:but.......

At the 24,000 mile service with Brad, I did have only 1 shim to be changed:  the left front intake valve was on the lower end of the tolerance range.  Hopefully, everything will still be within range when I check.  Getting everything ready get 'r dun.

Thanks!

• Like 2

William:

Boxflyer would have ALL the valves at the lower end of the range to minimize valve noise.    

Dealers don't record the clearance for your $1000+.   They just make sure they're all in spec.  If they are, they don't adjust.   If they aren't, you pay more and they adjust the one that's out of spec.   I just ordered the whole Boxflyer tool set and I'll be doing all my own work on my new GSA.   I could afford to have it done but I think the advantages of DIY are numerous and important.

1. If you do it yourself, you know everything has been done correctly....or have the ability to fix it if it's not right.  

2. If you do it yourself, you can keep a history of each valve clearance.

3. If there is a mistake, you can fix it right away.  No more "Yeah, normal, some of them do that."

4. Getting the dealer to actually set the valve timing/alignment is difficult.  Even if it's only needed once for the life of the bike, it should be set at 12K if you want the bike to run optimally.   

5.  While chances are slim one would need these services during a long trip, knowing how the bike works pays dividends if you have trouble on the road.  I carry a GS 911 and I feel that I could do an oil change myself if needed.   

6. It's good for the brain to do this sort of tech work if you have a good workspace.    

7.  The only negative I see is that I won't have a "done at the dealer" history when I trade the bike.   I will have my valve worksheets and oil receipts.   I can get all the software updates from the dealer at nominal cost even if I do my own work.   I think it's the right thing to do for myself and my bike.   I plan to put a lot of miles on this one.  

8. We have a Right to Repair law and BMW cannot deny warranty coverage if maintenance has been done regardless of whether the dealer has done it or the owner.   Dealers are having a tough time keeping qualified techs, as are car dealers and other repair facilities.    

9. If you have a good dealer or tech nearby, it's probably a good idea to support them, but my dealer is swamped with work.  They sell a lot of bikes and the majority of their customers are brining their bikes in for maintenance.   You wait a long while to get service and the cost is crazy high, so I'm going my own way.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Wayne Johnson

My 19 seemed to have rather loud valve noise and wanted it looked at one more time before the warranty was done (33k) i asked that they put it on the lower end of tolerance but as usual its unchanged with no info on before and after.