IGNORED

Left handlebar switch damaged

lather

My cruise control on my 2013 R1200RT stopped working. I decided to open up the switch and check the contacts and clean up any corrosion. There was some dirt and debris inside and I sprayed some electrical contact improver (Deoxit D5) and cleaned up with cotton swabs. It was a struggle to get the three connectors re- inserted into there slot but I got it done. However, now the windshield, horn and bright headlights don't work. Apparently my clumbsy arse has manged the switch further.

Any help?

14 minutes ago, lather said:

My cruise control on my 2013 R1200RT stopped working. I decided to open up the switch and check the contacts and clean up any corrosion. There was some dirt and debris inside and I sprayed some electrical contact improver (Deoxit D5) and cleaned up with cotton swabs. It was a struggle to get the three connectors re- inserted into there slot but I got it done. However, now the windshield, horn and bright headlights don't work. Apparently my clumbsy arse has manged the switch further.

Any help?

Afternoon  lather

Start by re-addressing the 3 connectors, make sure that you didn't bend a terminal pin. 

No bent terminals that I can see. However, the Windshield motor is back in action. The horn and high beam still not working. The  yellow "SET"  light flashes on on ignition on. I have not ride tested yet (thunderstorms here today)  to see if the cruise control is functional. I am guessing the cruise control does not operate if the bike is not moving. The high beam flasher does not feel right, the horn button feels normal. I will report back after a test ride. Thanks again

14 hours ago, lather said:

No bent terminals that I can see. However, the Windshield motor is back in action. The horn and high beam still not working. The  yellow "SET"  light flashes on on ignition on. I have not ride tested yet (thunderstorms here today)  to see if the cruise control is functional. I am guessing the cruise control does not operate if the bike is not moving. The high beam flasher does not feel right, the horn button feels normal. I will report back after a test ride. Thanks again

Morning 

Let's hope you can get you switch's figured out & back to working again. 

On the cruise control issue__ That is usually the clutch lever switch acting up, not always but usually. The clutch lever has 2 separate switches, one is for starting inhibit & the other is the cruise control cut-out (keeps engine RPM's from flaring if the clutch lever is pulled in with the cruise set). 

You can run an in-place cruise test that might point you to at something in the cruise control system.  

First)-  With the ignition switch OFF, switch on the cruise control.

Then)- Press and hold the SET button to the SET position, then turn ON the Ignition switch (SET LIGHT should come on) 

Next)- Release the SET button (LIGHT THEN GOES OFF), move to RESET position (Resume) position (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON) 

Next)- Release the button (LIGHT SHOULD BE OFF) 

Next)- Switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON)

Next)- Switch the cruise control switch back to on (LIGHT SHOULD BE OFF) 

Next)- Close (roll)  throttle twist grip (all the way past normally closed). (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON), release throttle. (LIGHT GOES OFF)

Next)- Pull in clutch lever (LIGHT ON), release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF) 

Next)- Pull front brake lever (LIGHT ON), release lever (LIGHT OFF) 

Next)- Push foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF), release foot brake pedal (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON)

Next)- Rotate rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON/OFF/ON) 

Last)-  Switch off ignition. 

• Thanks 1

Just back from a 60 mile test ride and the cruise control worked flawlessly. I set it 8 or ten times and it always engaged without a problem. I believe my cleaning work did the trick, but unfortunately I seem to have mangled the hi beam switch and horn. I do have auxiliary lights and never ride at night anyway. A new switch is $600!

beemer chuck

Might want check with a dealer to see if your VIN number has had all the switch recalls done. Might get new switches under the recall.

On 7/4/2022 at 10:22 AM, beemer chuck said:

Might want check with a dealer to see if your VIN number has had all the switch recalls done. Might get new switches under the recall.

I will do that, thanks. Yesterday the ESA would not work. It worked fine on the test ride the day before!