IGNORED

Help: Electrical Problem

Randyjaco

Yesterday I was installing a brake light modulator, and accidentally managed to arch a Red/Green wire to the frame. It was instantaneous, but enough to cause problems.

When I cranked up the bike (2017 RT) I noticed the warning triangle. I hooked up my GS911 to investigate. 22 codes showed up. I cleared the codes and tried again and 21 appeared. The codes, all different, all say about the same thing. "No CAN message (Status left malfunction switch from KOMBI) The fault is currently present). Then it generally says that terminal 15 and/or 30 are on. The Voltage is between 9v and 16v.

I am electronically challenged, but presume that I tripped a breaker somewhere, or fried something:4607:

At the moment I am flummoxed. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do to get it fixed?

My first troubleshooting step would be to disconnect the modulator completely. 

Then try to clear the codes again.

Prayers to the Elektron gods would be appropriate.

1 hour ago, Randyjaco said:

Yesterday I was installing a brake light modulator, and accidentally managed to arch a Red/Green wire to the frame. It was instantaneous, but enough to cause problems.

When I cranked up the bike (2017 RT) I noticed the warning triangle. I hooked up my GS911 to investigate. 22 codes showed up. I cleared the codes and tried again and 21 appeared. The codes, all different, all say about the same thing. "No CAN message (Status left malfunction switch from KOMBI) The fault is currently present). Then it generally says that terminal 15 and/or 30 are on. The Voltage is between 9v and 16v.

I am electronically challenged, but presume that I tripped a breaker somewhere, or fried something:4607:

At the moment I am flummoxed. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do to get it fixed?

Morning  Randyjaco

As Larry said start with a COMPLETE modulator disconnect. 

There are a few fuses in the fuse box so something to check.

Where did you get the external power to run the modulator?   If from the rear power outlet circuit then that might be causing a feedback issue of some sort. 

Ditto take the modulator out of the  loop while investigating. It may be the fried component. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes that may also reset any faults.

Success!!! Thanks to all that responded.

I followed your instructions and found that I had blown the 7.5 amp fuse. I replaced it and ran the GS911. I erased the codes and they didn't come back. It was code free, even the old filler cap code that has haunted me for months :18:

I even got the modulator working. In the end it didn't even require the power connection (which was the initial cause of this whole fiasco) :88: