IGNORED

Crank Case Vent

Rotor

Where is the crank case vent on 2005 RT?  After warming the engine, I performed an oil change.  This is the first change I've performed on this particular bike.  Upon removal of the drain plug the oil shot out under some serious pressure, like a fire hose.  It's been a very long time since I changed the oil in my previously owned 05 but I don't recall this issue.  Could the crank case vent be clogged or is this natural?

Thanks

Can't comment on the crank vent but when changing my engine oil it just drains out like any normal bike/car. Not under any pressure

• Like 1

A blocked breather is uncommon, and I'm not sure it would maintain pressure with the engine off.  It works off the left side cam to deal with large pressure pulses generated by the pistons moving in and out together.

image.png.dcae67f24bc93459123c2c6a9ee819ab.png

The oil does come out pretty fast when hot. If pressure is somehow building up it would be released by removing the oil fill plug, so you might try that the next time the engine is warm.

2 hours ago, Rotor said:

Where is the crank case vent on 2005 RT?  After warming the engine, I performed an oil change.  This is the first change I've performed on this particular bike.  Upon removal of the drain plug the oil shot out under some serious pressure, like a fire hose.  It's been a very long time since I changed the oil in my previously owned 05 but I don't recall this issue.  Could the crank case vent be clogged or is this natural?

Thanks

Morning John

The 1200 hexheads seem to do that (drain oil comes out with force), sometimes it helps to open the oil fill cap first but even so there is enough head pressure due to oil level height to give your hand a good hot oil bath. 

I usually loosen the drain plug far enough that it can be removed with my fingers, then move the drain pan up close to the bottom of the engine so the oil doesn't have far to travel & splash all over. (let the engine cool a bit first so you don't burn your hand)   

• Plus 1 1

Thank you Larry and D.R.

I wouldn’t have been concerned except the force with which the oil escaped made me concerned it could blow seals at that pressure.  Like a garden hose with a spray nozzle, oil splattered everywhere.  Now, the engine was pretty warm as I’d just completed a throttle body sync so it was at operating temp.  Are you saying this would be normal?

7 hours ago, lkraus said:

A blocked breather is uncommon, and I'm not sure it would maintain pressure with the engine off.  It works off the left side cam to deal with large pressure pulses generated by the pistons moving in and out together.

The oil does come out pretty fast when hot. If pressure is somehow building up it would be released by removing the oil fill plug, so you might try that the next time the engine is warm.

I will check that tomorrow.  Thanks.

14 hours ago, Rotor said:

Thank you Larry and D.R.

I wouldn’t have been concerned except the force with which the oil escaped made me concerned it could blow seals at that pressure.  Like a garden hose with a spray nozzle, oil splattered everywhere.  Now, the engine was pretty warm as I’d just completed a throttle body sync so it was at operating temp.  Are you saying this would be normal?

Evening John

That is pretty normal on the hot 1200 hexheads I have worked on.

The vent in the L/H cylinder head is pretty simple as it is just a spinning impeller type wheel that spits (flings) the oil out of the air as the vented air passes through it. It does vent into the bottom of the air box so if there is any blockage it would probably be in that area. 

If you are worried about it just remove the hose from the plastic vent housing on the rear of the L/H cylinder head then blow air back into the hose to see if it is blocked.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, lkraus said:

Brought to operating temp.  Turned engine off.  Removed oil fill cap while listening closely for any pressure release.  None noted.  Moving on...

Thanks.