IGNORED

Coolant Leak from right side drain

Feral Space Cat

Feral Space Cat

Installed new Right Side Coolant Drain Plug with new washer and torqued to 10Nm per spec.. Leaking coolant badly.... Any ideas? 

leak.jpg

5 hours ago, Feral Space Cat said:

Installed new Right Side Coolant Drain Plug with new washer and torqued to 10Nm per spec.. Leaking coolant badly.... Any ideas? 

Morning Feral Space Cat

Can you tell EXACTLY where it is leaking from?   Is it out the end of that filler adapter, or is it leaking at the base of the  filler adapter where the gasket-ring is?  If you can tell us, or point to, the EXACT place that it is leaking then we can the more easily advise you on how to repair. 

A number of my fellow GS riders just remove that useless filler adapter then install a conventional drain plug (same as on L/H side).  

Feral Space Cat
3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Feral Space Cat

Can you tell EXACTLY where it is leaking from?   Is it out the end of that filler adapter, or is it leaking at the base of the  filler adapter where the gasket-ring is?  If you can tell us, or point to, the EXACT place that it is leaking then we can the more easily advise you on how to repair. 

A number of my fellow GS riders just remove that useless filler adapter then install a conventional drain plug (same as on L/H side).  

Hi,

Seems to be leaking from the base where the metal gasket ring is.

The original adapter's threads where stripped off. Very carefully  cleaned out the threads on the engine block with a M10x1 tap. The threads looked fine and tested with a M10x1 bolt. Once the new drain adapter and sealing gasket arrived, I carefully hand threaded in the new drain adapter with the sealing gasket and torqued to 5Nm. Once I filled the radiator it started leaking from the base of the new drain adapter. With the bike running it was dripping very fast. Increased the torque to  a little below 10Nm and still leaking badly.

16 minutes ago, Feral Space Cat said:

Hi,

Seems to be leaking from the base where the metal gasket ring is.

The original adapter's threads where stripped off. Very carefully  cleaned out the threads on the engine block with a M10x1 tap. The threads looked fine and tested with a M10x1 bolt. Once the new drain adapter and sealing gasket arrived, I carefully hand threaded in the new drain adapter with the sealing gasket and torqued to 5Nm. Once I filled the radiator it started leaking from the base of the new drain adapter. With the bike running it was dripping very fast. Increased the torque to  a little below 10Nm and still leaking badly.

Morning Feral Space Cat

Can't tell you much without seeing it. It's possible the hole is tapped a slight angle now so the  filler adapter is not contacting the gasket ring evenly. 

Personally I would go to a standard drain plug with a little PTFE pipe sealer on the (CLEAN) threads. 

Any chance there is a crack in the boss that the filler adapter screws into?

Feral Space Cat
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Feral Space Cat

Can't tell you much without seeing it. It's possible the hole is tapped a slight angle now so the  filler adapter is not contacting the gasket ring evenly. 

Personally I would go to a standard drain plug with a little PTFE pipe sealer on the (CLEAN) threads. 

Any chance there is a crack in the boss that the filler adapter screws into?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm certain the hole is tapped straight since I just chased the original threads which had the original adapter plugs threads remnants in there. I don't think there is a crack in the case. I put PTFE thread sealant on the new adapter plug and will check today after work.

The standard drain plug and PTFE is a good idea. Thanks

Kris

Feral Space Cat

Applying PTFE tread sealant and letting it sit overnight seems to have stopped the leak. If it leaks again I'm going to replace with the standard plug. 

Thanks for the help.