IGNORED

ZUMO XT "Other File" Downloads

Scott9999

I was just updating the Zumo tonight in preparation for a trip, updated the maps, and then hunted around for anything else I should do.  I noticed under utilities they have alternate language and language audio files, which is as expected, but they also have some other items.  Was wondering if anyone has downloaded or uses any of these.  

Pro or con?  I'm guessing it's just an icon, i.e. street bike and color for motorcycle mode, and vehicle type and color for auto.  Insignificant, but hey, it's a FREE download, eh?  😏

image.png.228bafa425053589115f550792a0ad52.png

image.png.a8ac60aafc1c7caacbcf8c73b42a601f.png

4 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

I was just updating the Zumo tonight in preparation for a trip, updated the maps, and then hunted around for anything else I should do.  I noticed under utilities they have alternate language and language audio files, which is as expected, but they also have some other items.  Was wondering if anyone has downloaded or uses any of these.  

Pro or con?  I'm guessing it's just an icon, i.e. street bike and color for motorcycle mode, and vehicle type and color for auto.  Insignificant, but hey, it's a FREE download, eh?  😏

Morning Scott

I haven't ever liked ANY of those optional vehicles (cursors) as they seem to block way too much info under them. In fact I don't even like the OEM stock vehicle (cursor) so I make my own custom vehicle. That is a very fine bright red thinner arrow (I use this custom vehicle in all my GPS devices).

To me personally, those optional vehicles are more for the Starbucks crowd than for riders that actually use a GPS for precision navigation.

I usually dump (delete) most of the internal GPS additional items that I will never use, like  optional languages, optional vehicles, most help files, anything that I will never use or need. This gives me more internal storage for important things like large topo maps, custom maps,  many multiple routes, etc. 

• Plus 1 1
12 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Scott

I haven't ever liked ANY of those optional vehicles (cursors) as they seem to block way too much info under them. In fact I don't even like the OEM stock vehicle (cursor) so I make my own custom vehicle. That is a very fine bright red thinner arrow (I use this custom vehicle in all my GPS devices).

To me personally, those optional vehicles are more for the Starbucks crowd than for riders that actually use a GPS for precision navigation.

I usually dump (delete) most of the internal GPS additional items that I will never use, like  optional languages, optional vehicles, most help files, anything that I will never use or need. This gives me more internal storage for important things like large topo maps, custom maps,  many multiple routes, etc. 

Yep, I agree.  In fact, Google maps (on my Android phone) has done some sort of format change, similar to that, i.e. they have pop up's with street info that complete obscure the map.  Makes the app totally useless many times.  I guess they're gearing up the Google product for I-pads or the Android equivalent, because they sure won't work anymore on a 7" Samsung S10 screen.

I'll have to get into the Garmin Zumo more, and figure out how to minimize their cursor footprint.