IGNORED

Downloading routes to gps

Grouchy

I seem to be having a senior moment here.  I cant for the life of me get a route downloaded to my Navigator IV.  I thought I had this figured out last year when I created routes in Scenic and downloaded them direct into the GPS.

That doesn't work now and I've read through the documentation and searched for solutions and am not having any luck. I've also tried Rever and apparently Basecamp isn't available anymore and there are no apps I've been able to find that will do the job.

Anybody out there have a dummies version of how to get this done?

I resorted to putting routes directly into the GPS but it's tedious and doesn't always go the route I want.  Forcing the route by adding waypoints does not always seem to work either. Sometimes the magenta line just goes direct and ignores roads. AGHHHH!

• No help with your issue but I have a question; what do you mean Base Camp isn't available?   Sorry, I'm on a loaner laptop while my computer is repaired and I'm not good with laptops.  Otherwise, I'd open Basecamp to check for myself.  
2 hours ago, Grouchy said:

I seem to be having a senior moment here.  I cant for the life of me get a route downloaded to my Navigator IV.  I thought I had this figured out last year when I created routes in Scenic and downloaded them direct into the GPS.

That doesn't work now and I've read through the documentation and searched for solutions and am not having any luck. I've also tried Rever and apparently Basecamp isn't available anymore and there are no apps I've been able to find that will do the job.

Anybody out there have a dummies version of how to get this done?

I resorted to putting routes directly into the GPS but it's tedious and doesn't always go the route I want.  Forcing the route by adding waypoints does not always seem to work either. Sometimes the magenta line just goes direct and ignores roads. AGHHHH!

Afternoon  Grouchy

Using BaseCamp is probably the smoothest way, there are other ways like direct into the GPS but then you usually have to find the route & import it. 

You can get BaseCamp here ___  https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/basecamp/     

I assume the IV works the same as the V, VI or Zumo 396/590/595/XT. Using a USB cable and your computers file manager, a .gpx file can be copied directly to the  \Garmin\GPX folder in either internal memory or the SD card. The Tracks and Trip Planner apps will see the additions in internal memory automatically (I think). Use the wrench icon on the route or track selection menu to import the files on the SD card. I prefer to put the files on the SD card to be sure I have a copy that has not been recalculated by the GPS.

4 hours ago, Grouchy said:

I resorted to putting routes directly into the GPS but it's tedious and doesn't always go the route I want.  Forcing the route by adding waypoints does not always seem to work either. Sometimes the magenta line just goes direct and ignores roads. 

Evening  Grouchy

I guess I should have addressed this in my first post. One of the problems in making a route on a routing program like Scenic or other like routing program is that unless the map in the routing program somewhat matches the mapping in your GPS then you can get straight lines if the map in the GPS doesn't have a road near the the one that you made your route on. Same with roads on the routing program that have a road now as one-way or now as a dead end. If your GPS map doesn't have something suitable in the same vicinity then it can drive the route crazy.

You definitely want to recalculate the route when it is imported into the GPS as that will least least give it a chance to find a suitable road on the map in the GPS.  

4 hours ago, dirtrider said:

there are other ways like direct into the GPS but then you usually have to find the route & import it. 

Yes, I tried a direct download a few times but could never find the file on the GPS. 

4 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  Grouchy

Using BaseCamp is probably the smoothest way, there are other ways like direct into the GPS but then you usually have to find the route & import it. 

You can get BaseCamp here ___  https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/basecamp/     

Guess I have to drag my old Windows laptop out. 

4 hours ago, lkraus said:

The Tracks and Trip Planner apps will see the additions in internal memory automatically 

Where are these apps? I don't see them on my gps. Is this a download from Garmin? 

42 minutes ago, Grouchy said:

Where are these apps? I don't see them on my gps. Is this a download from Garmin? 

Well, that's why I started with "I assume the IV works the same as ..." the newer Garmin models that I've used or seen.  I've not seen a IV and now that I've downloaded a manual, I see that the menus are different.

As is typical for Garmin, many details are missing, but this page explains how to transfer a file to the gps:

image.png.c3a022c5c33e72772a7949d9355fc29a.png

Once the gpx is on the NAV, you should be able to find it using Where To?>Custom Routes

image.png.f5c40480c6fb72d15d5e9c62e0d8bd2d.png

NewEnglandRiders.org has a full tutorial on how to use a Garmin GPS and how to use, install and create routes in BaseCamp. You can’t do it on a phone. You have to use a computer, Windows or Apple. 
It’s time to do a little bit of reading. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Grouchy said:

Yes, I tried a direct download a few times but could never find the file on the GPS. 

Morning   Grouchy

You sort of have to pay attention to WHERE the routes are going & what they are named. 

You should be able to find the route you sent in either the GPS main drive in the GARMIN folder then in the GPX folder inside the GARMIN folder. Same with the SD card if the route went there,  in the GARMIN folder then in the GPX folder inside the GARMIN folder.

If you didn't name the route that you sent then it probably just went in as route # 3 or #8, etc,  or some route number so look for a file date to try to find your route (.GPX date should be same as the day you sent it). Once you find it then you can rename it to what you want. 

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning   Grouchy

You sort of have to pay attention to WHERE the routes are going & what they are named. 

You should be able to find the route you sent in either the GPS main drive in the GARMIN folder then in the GPX folder inside the GARMIN folder. Same with the SD card if the route went there,  in the GARMIN folder then in the GPX folder inside the GARMIN folder.

If you didn't name the route that you sent then it probably just went in as route # 3 or #8, etc,  or some route number so look for a file date to try to find your route (.GPX date should be same as the day you sent it). Once you find it then you can rename it to what you want. 

Thats what was so frustrating.  I named the route and dropped it into the gpx file folder on the gps.  Last year I did the same thing and it worked flawlessly.  Now this year the files don't show up either by name or date.  I assumed I was skipping a step or something changed with the route planner I used.

I've no doubt I'm doing something glaringly wrong, I just can't figure out what it is.  Ya just can't fix stupid:4607:

Thats what was so frustrating.  I named the route and dropped it into the gpx file folder on the gps.  Last year I did the same thing and it worked flawlessly.  Now this year the files don't show up either by name or date.  I assumed I was skipping a step or something changed with the route planner I used.

I've no doubt I'm doing something glaringly wrong, I just can't figure out what it is.  Ya just can't fix stupid:4607:

Morning  Grouchy

I don't have a Navigator IV handy where I'm at right now. You might have to find, then IMPORT, the route before you can find it in your GPS route lists.  

Look at Larry's info above to see how to import the route once it is in your GPS GARMIN/.GPX folder. If you are using a different map set in your route planner than is in your GPS then also make sure that you re-calculate it in your GPS so it makes a route that can use the roads that are on your GPS map. (when we say import that doesn't mean into your GPS but means that the GPS needs to find it internally then  enter it in it's routing data base so it can be used & you can find it in the GPS routes list). After a new route is sent to the GPS then some GPS devices will pop up "new route found" then ask if you want to import or import & re-calculate it & other GPS devices will do nothing so it is up to the user to find the new route & import it. On a couple of my GPS devices it will automatically pop up "new route found" if I send the route to the GPS main drive GARMIN/.GPX folder but if I send it to the  GARMIN/.GPX folder on the SD card it will do nothing so I have to find & import it manually.  

Think of routing usage like this___ I we were working with old paper maps & you have an older paper map & I have a brand new paper map. My map shows a brand new intersection (just built) so I send you directions to get off the highway at exit XXX/YYY to get to my house.  But that intersection isn't on your map, what would you do? Probably try to find another close intersection then go from there. Now what would happen if there was no close intersection? Or the intersection that you choose doesn't have a road going in my direction? 

If you don't recalculate the route to the map that is in your GPS then who knows what the  GPS will do. It might try to find an alternate route once you miss that intersection, or  it just might give you a straight line (off-road)  route in that area that doesn't use any existing road.  

That is one big reason that I like to use BaseCamp (or MapSource) to make a route as I can build the original route on the very same map-set that is in my GPS, therefore no unwanted surprises  when I ride that route. 

I have a large number of specific or special maps in all my GPS devices so if I make a route in BaseCamp using my (customized) OpenStreet 5.30 map then I name my route XXX_OS5.30 so I know to use the  OpenStreet 5.30 map when using that route. If I make a route using the  NT 2023.1 map then I name it XXX/YYY23.1 so I know to use the NT 2023.1 map when using that route. 

• Like 1

UPDATE: So this morning I tried it again and found I had to COPY then PASTE the file into the GPS.  Drag and drop would not work. 

Thanks to all for the assist

• Like 1

UPDATE: So this morning I tried it again and found I had to COPY then PASTE the file into the GPS.  Drag and drop would not work. 

Thanks to all for the assist

Afternoon  Grouchy

Kind of strange but not unheard of.  

What type of device & operating system are you using? 

I have seen that few times when I set up a motorcycle group ride & someone transfers routes into other riders GPS devices, not exactly sure why but it seemed to be either route name related (too long or not formatted correctly) or possibly the anti-virus on the host computer.

You might make up a test route (very short) then just give it a simple name (like ZZZ), then see if that will drag & drop.  

I tried both a Windows 10 laptop and Chromebook.  The Chromebook worked with CUT and PASTE.  After being successful with the Chromebook,  I did not try CUT and PASTE on the Windows 10 laptop as I use the Chromebook almost exclusively these days.

Interestingly, the manual pages lkraus shared above says to CUT and PASTE files when transferring from a computer.  I've no idea if that is to be taken literally or not.  But it did work.