IGNORED

Wethead Valve Questions

Tpoppa

I'm sure this has been asked before.  Is there a thread that talks about when (mileage) valves are likely to become out of spec, if at all?

A BMW dealer told a riding buddy not to bother with the 12k check and wait until 24k on his GS.

On my 2015 R12R, valves were in specs at 12k (hadn't moved at all).  I plan to have them checked again a 24k in a couple months.  If they are in spec at 24k, are they likely to move after that? 

duckbubbles

I have 46K miles on my '17 RS and have checked them at 10, 20, 30 and 40K with no changes.  I do my own maintenance and don't mind checking them that often.  My previous '16 RS went over 20K without changes.

I suspect that the wethead engines hold valve adjustment really well.  If it were an upright 4 cyl. or a V-twin with difficult access I might think differently but our boxers are very easy to work on.

Frank

Since it's a quick and easy check on the boxer engine, why not do it and save some possible grief?  While it is unlikely to need adjustment, it doesn't hurt to check.  If it's within tolerance and you're happy with it (i.e. you don't want to try to get it close or below the mid-point), then you can just quickly button it back up and top off the oil (or finish the oil change) and you're done.

• Plus 1 1
duckbubbles

An item of concern that I did not mention is cam/cam follower wear.  Lots of chatter on this and other forums about wear of these items.  Gradually decreasing performance would probably go un-noticed by most riders and the metal flakes running around in the oil system cannot do any good.  That and peace of mind knowing all is well.

Frank

A couple of the valves on my 2014 were in spec at 12K, but at the tightest end of the spec. By around 48K  one was ever so slightly at or just under the spec. So, I shimmed those that were under the mid range so now all are near the middle of the spec range. I rather doubt I will need to do that again......Actually rather easy to do. 

I do most my own maintenance, but haven't attempted the valve check.  Maybe I should.

Getting a ride to drop off/pick up my motorcycle at the dealer is kind of a PITA.

4 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I do most my own maintenance, but haven't attempted the valve check.  Maybe I should.

Getting a ride to drop off/pick up my motorcycle at the dealer is kind of a PITA.

Checking valve clearence is fairly easy. Certainly less time than a round trip to dealer.

In the rare event that you need a Shim changed, you can let dealer do it.

Yeeha Stephen

My last 1200 RT had 130K on it and valves were never out of spec. My 1250 RT has 56K on it and those are still in  spec.

You could always move them back to center just for fun if you feel like spinning some wrenches.

SS

• 2 weeks later...