IGNORED

Front Ended

Sandlapper

6/322 Was traveling home from one of my BBQ Friday rides when I got stuck behind a residential garbage truck, was not relishing the thought of having to follow him. Well he stops, I stop then I notice his back up lights come on, I start blowing my horn(sound bomb) but to no avail.

No damage to me but bike is a different story. Don't have a local BMW dealer so I loaded on trailer. Got the final tab on repairs $9274....and other than a dented front rim all of it is cosmetic, it even bent the Ilium crash bars....all the plastic back to the badge panel will need to be replaced. The headlight is more expensive than the rim......

Now I have to worry about which part is going to get me behind "the supply chain eight ball"

I think this answers the age old question of which is more expensive Harley Chrome or BMW PlasticIMG-9188.thumb.JPG.d10be32bb9f4480c50000c4d74653ca8.JPGIMG-9190.thumb.JPG.ac397ca9fc82fe9cdf8f91faa136ffd5.JPGIMG-9206.thumb.JPG.197307d19f71f33e9060a759cb86dbcd.JPGIMG-9207.thumb.JPG.05b74c71898839125661c83e0ad244f6.JPGIMG-9208.thumb.JPG.1b729ef81fdb9eadd26d0c368b35e206.JPG

IMG-9209.JPG

That's a bummer. Surprised they don't have back up cameras.

All the Harley chrome is readily available, both factory and aftermarket. BMW plastic, not so much.

Glad you weren't hurt.

26 minutes ago, Sandlapper said:

6/322 Was traveling home from one of my BBQ Friday rides when I got stuck behind a residential garbage truck, was not relishing the thought of having to follow him. Well he stops, I stop then I notice his back up lights come on, I start blowing my horn(sound bomb) but to no avail.

No damage to me but bike is a different story. Don't have a local BMW dealer so I loaded on trailer. Got the final tab on repairs $9274....and other than a dented front rim all of it is cosmetic, it even bent the Ilium crash bars....all the plastic back to the badge panel will need to be replaced. The headlight is more expensive than the rim......

Now I have to worry about which part is going to get me behind "the supply chain eight ball"

I think this answers the age old question of which is more expensive Harley Chrome or BMW Plastic

Afternoon Sandlapper

That's unfortunate, if you scratched a boot, rubbed a glove, or bumped your helmet in the tip over then be sure to get the insurance to replace those for you. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
3 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Sandlapper

That's unfortunate, if you scratched a boot, rubbed a glove, or bumped your helmet in the tip over then be sure to get their insurance to replace those for you. 

Fixed that for you!

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

Fixed that for you!

Afternoon  Hosstage

That sort of depends on the state it happened in, some have no-fault so your own insurance picks up the tab. Then sometimes they will go after the other (at fault) party for reimbursement. I haven't checked in a while but I believe my state took motorcycles off the no-fault deal a while back. 

I was hit HARD years ago while sitting still, totaled my motorcycle, totaled my helmet & boots.  Rang my bell pretty good but I was riding the next day (different motorcycle). My own insurance picked up the cost on my totaled motorcycle plus damaged riding gear & some other incidentals. I personally went after the other party's insurance for transportation costs &  hiring my wife to drive me around until vehicle was replaced & I could walk upright again.    That was limited to a small claims deal unless I took it to a lawsuit (If I remember correctly something like $250.00) so it was settled out of court with a quick check.  (back then $250.00 was worth something) 

I got one heck of a deal on the totaled motorcycle (basically engine, trans, & mid electricals) as final drive, rear torque tube, drive shaft, front forks, both wheels, dash, windshield, seat,  handlebars were all destroyed well beyond any use (actually blew the gear-set out of the final drive). The insurance wanted a big chunk of money for the remains but luckily the hit happened fairly close to home so I had the thing flat-bedded home.  So I made a very favorable deal with the insurance to take my storage fees off if they basically almost  gave me the remains. 

On 6/26/2022 at 2:47 PM, Sandlapper said:

I think this answers the age old question of which is more expensive Harley Chrome or BMW PlasticIMG-9188.thumb.JPG.d10be32bb9f4480c50000c4d74653ca8.JPGIMG-9190.thumb.JPG.ac397ca9fc82fe9cdf8f91faa136ffd5.JPGIMG-9206.thumb.JPG.197307d19f71f33e9060a759cb86dbcd.JPGIMG-9207.thumb.JPG.05b74c71898839125661c83e0ad244f6.JPGIMG-9208.thumb.JPG.1b729ef81fdb9eadd26d0c368b35e206.JPG

IMG-9209.JPG

Rubbersideup use to have their own website, but now just sell on an ebay store.  Keep checking with them.  I've bought a tranny and driveshaft off of them.  Items were exactly as described.

Be weary, insurance companies want body shops to use "used" parts.  Me,....I'd take the money, source the bits and pieces, do the repair myself (if within my skillset).

Good luck

Yeeha Stephen

Those Mars Red Metallic painted parts are almost unobtainium.

I've been waiting months for a front mud guard/fender.

And... I can't find a painter that can match it.

SS

Sandlapper
12 hours ago, Yeeha Stephen said:

Those Mars Red Metallic painted parts are almost unobtainium.

I've been waiting months for a front mud guard/fender.

And... I can't find a painter that can match it.

SS

Thanks for the words of encouragement....lol

Finally got the quote from appraiser and believe it or not their estimate came in at almost $1000 over what the bike shop had quoted....Amazing.

Now to see which part will hold up rebuild.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 12:40 PM, Yeeha Stephen said:

Surprised they didn't try to total it.

SS

I kinda wish they had totaled the bike, maybe....lol

Talked with bike shop yesterday and they still don't have all the parts yet with no ETA on remaining parts....Supply Chain Hell

• Sad 2