IGNORED

Phone mount on the bike

super rat

I have no interest in phone mounts either for multiple reasons.

Firstly, I find that GPS is mostly distracting, especially on longer rides. I usually know where I'm going and memorize the directions. Besides I stop every 2 hours and it's not that hard to figure out the directions during breaks. I prefer the old fashioned approach of watching road signs and estimating ETAs.

Secondly, music while motorcycling gives me an incentive to speed. I lean towards 80s rock bands and 90s grunge and as the beat kicks in, my right hand winds the throttle faster and faster. So I don't listen.

Thirdly, I ride for the fun of it and all the gizmo wizardry does is take away from the scenery to some extent.  I don't use social media and all of the people in my texting circle know it can wait. I share my location with family, so they know my general vicinity.

• Like 1
Wayne Johnson

Dinosaurs !  I use mine for Waze its always nice to know where the Fuzz is when your twenty over the limit most of the time!

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2

My bike isn't just for pleasure, it's a mode of transport, just like any other mode of transport that you can drive or ride, so that's exactly how it's treated,....as a tool to get me from point a to point b.

I use Waze, not just for directions and law dogs, but that nifty, "object on road" warning comes in handy when traveling the slab and there's a "gator" from a rig laying across the middle.  I like that advance notice.

Very, very seldom will I answer a call while riding, which is no different than when I'm driving a cage, it's very, very seldom I use the phone as a phone, even hands free, in a vehicle/on a vehicle. 

Also, when I do travel alone or distances, I use Spotwalla so that my wife can see exactly where I'm located. 

Oh, and the preferred tunes is hard hitting metal, yet, my playlist is kinda diverse.

• Plus 1 1

I don't like the idea of my phone being exposed to the elements.

I do like music occasionally, but I run an iPod for that (dinosaur) on one bike, the other has no electronics, just a speedo. 

Everyone seems to have their phone front and center all the time which is fine for them, I just go mostly old school.

There was a Harley commercial a few years ago showing a phone call coming thru on the dash screen. All I could think was hell no, no way I want to see a call coming thru, much less try and talk and ride at the same time, talk about distracting. My wife knows I'm mostly out of touch once riding, if it is really important she will leave a message and I might check when I stop. Rare though, once out I leave the rest of the world behind (I do not commute on the bike, I would like to, but hard to carry service tools and ladders).

Pluses and minuses to phones on bikes.

When I'm riding I don't want to receive phone calls or text messages because my goal is to enjoy the ride plus incoming calls or text messages can be a distraction which can lead to accidents. When I stop or get to my destination I can read any text messages or return phone calls. Another reason I don't mount my cell phone to the bike is if I'm in a accident I want my cell phone on my body where I can access it and call for help instead of me being in one place while my cell phone is in another place. With that said I do have  cell phone mount but I rarely ever use it for all the reasons I already mentioned.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

While my turned-off phone rides in my tail case. My wife got it for me, and I keep it around in case I want to call home. She tolerates that bit of unpleasant behavior because I build good shelves and have other decent attributes. 

I am, however, very interested in how I will mount my Valentine One on my RT-P... a puzzle I will work out this winter.

On 6/27/2022 at 5:55 AM, Calugo said:

if I'm in a accident I want my cell phone on my body where I can access it and call for help instead of me being in one place while my cell phone is in another place

Only time I use my mount is if I forget to charge the phone. Calugo hit the nail on the head with the above statement.

RecentConvert

On days where the weather can turn in a heartbeat, I have mine mounted with a Ram mount on the left handlebar.  Weather radar running on the phone so I can dodge thunderstorms.  My iPhone will politely anounce when it is too wet to be plugged in.  

I use a Techmount on my Zero DSR so I’m able to monitor my FOBO Bluetooth TPM. It’s a very handy way of checking tire pressures before & during each ride. 

Back in September one morning just before 1st light a deer decided to commit suicide in front of me & I rode through the debris’s trail. 
When I got through to the other side I looked down in front of me I was shocked to find the cockpit in disarray including my phone MISSING!!!!!

I tire wired the left crash bar up as it’s 10mm bolt had sheared & went back to find the phone & pick up the pieces. 

Lucky for me there was little traffic. 
I found the phone in the middle of the road about 10 yards back from the adolescent Buck. I picked the phone up & to my delight it was still displaying FOBO.
The screen had been cracked previously & a new series of cracks propagated from the top/left corner where the retreating windscreen must have squirted the phone out of the holder. 
I had to reboot (power cycle) in order to restore operation. 

Might be time to rethink my phone & TPM schemes (or just stop hitting things). 
image.thumb.jpeg.3df5e3fad5e386f5c281486e425c80bd.jpeg

Also note that phone cameras don’t do well exposed to constant vibrations (like being mounted on the handlebar of an ICE motorcycle). 
There are vibration mitigating mounts on the market. 

I have a quad lock. You might want to consider something with a vibration damper. The vibration can kill the optical image stabilizer in the camera. 

8 hours ago, Ponch said:

I have a quad lock. You might want to consider something with a vibration damper. The vibration can kill the optical image stabilizer in the camera. 

Uh oh.  I ride with the phone (Samsung Note 9) on a RAM mount so I can see WAZE and get alerts, road hazards, detours, trip info, etc.  After reading Ponch's post I had to do a quick check on my phone's camera.  Had me worried for a few minutes.  Found this:

image.thumb.png.ec1a15e2787dd34cb2f44ce02d8b2db7.png

17 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

Uh oh.  I ride with the phone (Samsung Note 9) on a RAM mount so I can see WAZE and get alerts, road hazards, detours, trip info, etc.  After reading Ponch's post I had to do a quick check on my phone's camera.  Had me worried for a few minutes.  Found this:

image.thumb.png.ec1a15e2787dd34cb2f44ce02d8b2db7.png

I think this is geared more toward iphones, but I've had an iphone mounted to my bikes since around 2011 (jphone 5, 8 plus and now 13 plus) and never had a camera go bad (did a few videos while riding).  My previous was an X-grip, but now I've got a quick grip........still no issues

• Like 1
On 10/23/2022 at 5:45 AM, Rougarou said:

I think this is geared more toward iphones, but I've had an iphone mounted to my bikes since around 2011 (jphone 5, 8 plus and now 13 plus) and never had a camera go bad (did a few videos while riding).  My previous was an X-grip, but now I've got a quick grip........still no issues

I had an iPhone 7 that got wacky after using an XGrip. I have a 12 pro max now and use the quadlock with vibration damper.