IGNORED

NAV 6 battery charge

Red

Every year the battery in my NAV 6 goes dead over winter.  It takes about 1.5 hours of riding to get it to revive.  Even then it says battery low and the next time I start the bike it's dead.  I've owned it since 2018.   I've plugged it into my desktop external port and I get updates just fine, but no charging.  The unit did not come with a charging unit, just a double ended plug.  So, how is a person supposed to keep the unit charged?

I have 4 extra batteries (from getting replacement Nav6's).

Was hoping they might help someone, so I'd be glad to send you one if it would help.

I just plug mine into a usb charger and it charges. Takes a long time but it does charge. On the bike it charges very quickly but yes If you let the battery go dead it takes FOREVER. Don't know why.

• Plus 1 1
4 hours ago, Go Cats Go said:

I need to use a Garmin branded cable to charge and do updates from my desktop. 

No, you don't need a Garmin branded cable.  You just need to use a cable rated for both charging AND data transfer.

5 hours ago, Rainman48 said:

No, you don't need a Garmin branded cable.  You just need to use a cable rated for both charging AND data transfer.

I think we're on to something here.  Where can I get one of these charging/data transfer units?

22 hours ago, Red said:

I think we're on to something here.  Where can I get one of these charging/data transfer units?

UPDATE:  IT IS A MICRO USB data cable if that was his problem.  "Two ended plug" and "no charging".  Sorry Red.  Standard USB port on a computer rarely puts out many charging amps and takes hours of connection to appreciably change the state of a battery neglected for months.

You may need a wall charger or even a new battery from Garmin.  That or just put it on the bike when you get ready to ride again and live with it not having a stand-alone battery life like most of us.

Red, sorry I don't have my NAV VI with me, and Garmin's manuals are useless as they don't mention the type of connection end specifically.  I can be specific tomorrow when I get home to look - OR if some other member knows before then.

Where?  Almost anywhere - even gas stations or Mom and Pop or 7-11's.  I'll use Amazon as an example.
All did was search for "data transfer" and a whole lot of different USB cable types showed up to choose from which are data transfer capable in addition to charging devices, and I didn't even finish saying USB or cable.  I highlighted the "micro USB" type because I think that is the right type. 

I believe know the NAV VI is either a micro or a Type C.  Look at your Garmin supplied cable if it is a thin trapezoid shaped end it's a "micro" type and if it is a thin evenly rounded on both ends type it is a type "C".  My money is on the micro.  Key when shopping is noting if it says supports "data transfers".  I also included a single micro cable to show you they work with any number of devices - not brand specific, and can be very cheap ($5-$6) Take a look. 

Data Transfer - Amazon.jpg

Micro USB Cable.jpg

Edited by Rainman48
Verified NAV VI cable type.
13 hours ago, Red said:

You probably already have several. If you can plug it into a computer and see the GPS as a drive or media device in the file manager,, the cable is transferring data. Of the dozen or so USB cables I have, only one is charge-only.

As others have said, just plug your cable into the Nav VI, and attach the other end to a phone charger, and plug that into a wall plug.

• Plus 1 1

To be safe use the cable with the Garmin logo. It’s really very easy. This cable comes free with your GPS or you can order it from Garmin   Using the Garmin Cable eliminates all sorts of problems, like uploading routes, updates and charging. It’s really very simple. 

• Plus 1 1

Thanks for the tips to all.  I connected the garmin into my cell phone charger using the garmin cable then into the wall.  Nice green charging symbol appeared! :clap:  No smoke and no sparks.  Must be good.  I wrongly assumed that the NAV devise would have it's own special charging unit like nearly all my other devices.  

6 hours ago, Red said:

Thanks for the tips to all.  I connected the garmin into my cell phone charger using the garmin cable then into the wall.  Nice green charging symbol appeared! :clap:  No smoke and no sparks.  Must be good.  I wrongly assumed that the NAV devise would have it's own special charging unit like nearly all my other devices.  

Only the cable is the special part. 

You know what is really stupid.  I have 3 new Garmin GPS devices, In Reach Mini, a Zumo XT and a 66SR.  They all have different USB plugs on them.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

I cannot tell them black cords apart.   I need to start labeling them.  :dontknow:

The logo is on the USB plug side. 

• Smile 1
On 6/22/2022 at 9:30 AM, TSConver said:

You know what is really stupid.  I have 3 new Garmin GPS devices, In Reach Mini, a Zumo XT and a 66SR.  They all have different USB plugs on them.  

Besides 3 Garmin GPS models, I have two Garmin watches (one for fitness and one for golf), and both of them have different charging/data cables as well.  Each cost $25 and I like to have backups.

22 minutes ago, Rainman48 said:

Besides 3 Garmin GPS models, I have two Garmin watches (one for fitness and one for golf), and both of them have different charging/data cables as well.  Each cost $25 and I like to have backups.

Forgot bot my watch, yes it is different as well. Not sure about the wife watch, lol

On 6/22/2022 at 3:19 PM, Rinkydink said:

I have too many charging cables and not enough cubes. Cheap bastards!!

I label all my cords and chargers with masking tape and a sharpie.  That way I can simply toss them in a cardboard box and fish out the one I need when I need it.

• Plus 1 1
On 6/25/2022 at 4:44 PM, Red said:

I label all my cords and chargers with masking tape and a sharpie.  That way I can simply toss them in a cardboard box and fish out the one I need when I need it.

Same here. It also helps me trim out unneeded ones that have had the device thrown away but still have the cord.