IGNORED

UnRally Route Set #3 of 3 SR

Indy Dave

Creating routes for such a large demographic of riders is TOUGH! We all have our own idea of an ideal type of road or route!! :5223:

With that in mind - this route set might be what Kinsley termed "SR" - for Special Reserve. Generally speaking, these routes will have sections of road that are choppy, bumpy, dirty and might have a lot more tar snakes and other challenges. These are not for everyone. They are not as well maintained. Having said that and being duly warned, here you go!

A Big Shout out to  @TyTass  (Craig) for sharing these. Craig was part of the Rubber Chicken Rally years ago. In addition, Craig tried valiantly to hold a UnRally right here in Canaan Valley not once, but twice! Not to mention this area was his weekend playground when he lived up this way. So yea, he knows a thing or two about the area. :revit:

ROUTE SET 3 SR ROUTES LINK: UnRally Route Set 3 SR Routes

Maryland 1

The 1st leg take folks up to Waxler Rod. It's one of only a few that I know that runs along the ridge. Not technical, but exceptional views. A bit later it crosses The Old Town Bridge which is a riot! It's a tiny one lane toll bridge, PRIVATELY OWNED, that across the Potomac. The toll is now $1.50. You might want to have the toll ready in a jacket pocket. But you can pull over to get off and pay, as I recall. Berkeley Springs is an artsy town. Quite lovely with good food options. The two return legs hit a variety of roads back to Canaan. Old 55 used to be The Way before US-48 was built about 10 years ago. Old 55 can get a bit gravelly and strewn with tree debris, but it can be quite thrilling.

• UN22(T) - MD_1.1 (132) - OldTown Brg > Berkeley Springs

• UN22(T) - MD_1.2B (122_254) - Berkeley > Slanesville

• UN22(T) - MD_1.2B (141_273) - Berkeley > Old 55

1847911822_MD1.1OldTownBerkeleySprings1.thumb.png.63d8b548bbcd5cfdfe4fa663d412e36c.png

Virginia_1

The first leg is a combination of Howard's Lick, Lost River, Trout Run, and Wolf Gap roads ... all are personal favorites. Howards Lick can get really Chip-Sealy sometimes, but it's just that they are for me the best WV backroad riding (like Indian Draft only not along a river, these are along and up and over several ridgelines. The return routes explore the Shenandoah Valley some and then head back via US-33 and Smoke Hole Road (which I could run every single day (WV Dragon).

• UN22(T) - VA_1.1 (112) - Lost Rvr > Wolf Gap > Edinburg

• UN22(T) - VA_1.2A - (140_252) - Edinburg > 42 > SmokeHole

• UN22(T) - VA_1.2B - (154 / 266) - Edinburg > 211 > SmokeHole

1458545927_VAlostriverwolfgapendinburg.thumb.png.28f87fd6141beaee63f686ae82817754.png

Virginia_2

This 1st leg focuses on the taller mountains in WV. Yes, there is some duplication of your routes (as there are only three ways out of Canaan Valley), as Blue Knob is on the route. However, this one turns East at Sugar Grove and heads up Reddish Knob. First paved about 8 years ago, I rode it once when gravel. Although now paved, it is a challenge due to the steepness of the switchbacks. However, going down the Briery Branch/VA side is a whole lot of fun if bumpy. Staunton is a great town with tons of food options. The three return route options focus on the roads in the Route names. Hwy 39 is not something to leave out of a WV trip.

• UN22(T) - VA_2.1 (126) - Spruce > Reddish > Staunton

• UN22(T) - VA_2.2A (108_234) - Staunton > 250 > BlueGrass > 28

• UN22(T) - VA_2.2B (156_264) - Staunton > 39 > IndianDraft > BlueGrass > 28

• UN22(T) - VA_2.2C (176_284) - Staunton > 39 > 92 > 84 > BlueGrass > 28

71324118_VASprucereddishbluegrass.thumb.png.b77d39a76ebab9e9dc2e1a5fe24c089d.png

• Like 5

Thanks, Dave. I'm so happy you got to make Canaan work out. It's a fantastic place!

To all:

Dave is right. There is no way to guess what types of roads people will prefer for an UN.

In NE WV (where Canaan Valley is located) the Appalachian/Allegheny mountains (second oldest mountains on Earth) are essentially a series of fairly well-defined parallel ridges that run NE-SW. 

• Few roads aside from the major arteries run NW-SE. The three major arteries that run NW-SE across the region are:  US-33, US-250, and WV-39. These roads are well-known and recommended in numerous magazines and websites. Riding those 3 Hwys is always a case of riding up and over one ridge, running across a valley, then up and over the next. Being major arteries, there will be some sporadic traffic ... rarely extreme amounts ... and are usually in "clumps".  Pasing opportunities become scarce near the ridges. The good news is there are numerous pullouts for you to pull over and surf ... to wait for a long period of little to no traffic. 
  • The backroads that do cross the ridges aren't used much, so they don't get serviced as often. But if you like to explore, such roads reward those who don't mind a bit of loose pavement now and again with uber tight twists, great views, most often "shade" and very, very little traffic. I have ridden many of these roads to not see another vehicle for an hour. A tough feat back East.
  • The US Hwys that go up the valleys "tend" to be the most trafficky. Some sections are much clearer than others. However, some are necessary to get from point A to B.  
  • Many state and county backroads also run up/down the valleys. Most of those are not particularly technical, but a few are (Indian Draft Rd). Many of these valley roads parallel rivers and creeks, which are not only beautiful, they help cool it down a bit in the mornings.  They are often completely shaded which helps to cool things down, too.

See you all at the UN!

Cheers!

Craig

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
roadscholar

All true Craig, good synopsis. If anyone’s hungry coming in from the East on 33, Brandywine Family Dining is probably a good choice. It used to be The Log Cabin and was built by a retired BRP bridge engineer for his wife so it has a bit of history as well. Had a nice chat with him and he explained why the BRP has no decreasing radius turns in either direction which is pretty amazing if you think about it..

034a44bb47f0f17df72b8307bb0977c9_-united-states-west-virginia-pendleton-county-eastern-brandywine-brandywine-family-dining-304-249-5616htm.jpg

https://www.restaurantji.com/wv/brandywine/brandywine-family-dining-/

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
27 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Had a nice chat with him and he explained why the BRP has no decreasing radius turns in either direction which is pretty amazing if you think about it..

Okay, I'll take the bait. Why?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
roadscholar
7 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Okay, I'll take the bait. Why?

He said they carefully measured the radius of every curve several times to ensure it was constant before laying it down. Road builders today could take a lesson from those guys, especially for interstate on and off ramps.

• Like 3