IGNORED

Halogen bulb meltdown?

KDeline

Hmmm, it got hot? 🤔

I believe that can happen to any halogen bulb, when they fail.  Not often, but it happens.   I don't believe that there's much chance of causing a fire, or damaging the fixture.

A halogen light bulb (also known as a halogen lamp) is a specialized incandescent light that contains halogen gas inside the glass casing. The gas causes a chemical reaction that constantly “recycles” the tungsten material within. This makes halogen bulbs a longer lasting and more energy-efficient update of regular incandescent bulbs.
How a Halogen Light Bulb Works

Halogen light bulbs get very hot because of their structure and the gas that fills the bulb.

The halogen gas performs a regeneration cycle which requires very high temperatures. This process, combined with their small size, causes halogen light bulbs to produce more heat than any other light.   Do Halogen Bulbs Get Hot?

It could be that the bulb was inadvertently touched during handling or installation, leaving enough surface oil to create a hot spot, ensuring future failure at that point on the glass, at some point.

While changing out a halogen is easy, there is a key rule to keep in mind from the moment you remove your bulb from the package that will ensure a longer lifespan from the beginning. You should never touch a halogen light bulb with your bare hands.  Sounds strange, doesn’t it? Well, there is actually good reason to avoid contact with the surface of the bulb. The oils on your fingers and skin can damage the quartz glass which creates a hot spot on the surface of the bulb when illuminated.  The localized heat on the surface works just like oil in a pan, and these hot spots can weaken the bulb’s glass, allowing the essential gasses we explored earlier to leak out. Even worse, the compromised integrity of the bulb can allow for it to explode.  Because of this, we always recommend that halogen bulbs never be handled by your bare hands. Use gloves or clean paper when holding the bulb so that you do not make immediate contact. Also, because these bulbs burn at a high temperature, make sure you let any bulbs you are replacing cool down before removing them.

How a Halogen Light Bulb Works

OR..... you could just be unlucky, and got the "Friday afternoon" bulb production. 🙄😁

11 hours ago, KDeline said:

WTH?

Morning KDeline

Rather unusual but not unseen before.

I replace a bulb for a rider a couple of years ago that looked very similar. It was a  PIAA xenon blub (at least according to the rider that brought me the motorcycle).

Any chance your bulb is a PIAA xenon? 

On the one that I replaced the rider said he bought it on E-Bay as he got a good deal on an expensive  PIAA so I just wrote it off as a Chinese knock-off of a PIAA. (never pursued it any farther)

3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning KDeline

Rather unusual but not unseen before.

I replace a bulb for a rider a couple of years ago that looked very similar. It was a  PIAA xenon blub (at least according to the rider that brought me the motorcycle).

Any chance your bulb is a PIAA xenon? 

On the one that I replaced the rider said he bought it on E-Bay as he got a good deal on an expensive  PIAA so I just wrote it off as a Chinese knock-off of a PIAA. (never pursued it any farther)

Since the bulbs blow so often, I buy the cheapest ones I can find, so I know it was not a PIAA. I buy them six or seven at a time, done that for the last 13 years, but have never seen one physically damaged like that, they just usually burn out. It was still lighting, but it was about half brightness so I pulled it to replace and that’s the result. Fun fact I still have the original H3 in my R1100 RTP after 122,000 miles.