IGNORED

What oil, tires, battery, seat, tire pressure, windshield, do you recommend?

MichiganBob

“What oil, tires, battery, seat, tire pressure, windshield, do you recommend?”

1, Slippery 

2, Round

3, Charged

4, Ask your butt

5, Hard

6, Yes

:spittake:

• Smile 2
5 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

It doesn't matter which you choose, it's wrong. 

According to somebody somewhere.

Rotella T-6 is the only oil to use!!!!:18:

What type of air do you put in your tires,…..tap or distilled?   Ive been using distilled air, it comes in convenient one gallon jugs. 

I used to use distilled air in my tires, but now I only use tap air, as it tends to keep the tires a little rounder.

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
On 6/18/2022 at 4:34 PM, BamaJohn said:

Don't forget "which gas is best?"

Taco Bell has the best high octane gas. 😲😲

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Hank in WV said:

Can anyone recommend a good quality valve cap for rear wheels?

I personally think valve caps are overrated and go naked.  It proves to be more efficient in getting the distilled air in.

37 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I personally think valve caps are overrated and go naked.  It proves to be more efficient in getting the distilled air in.

WHAT?!?!?! You don't fill with nitrogen?     :4316:

Brodiepunker18
6 minutes ago, RogerC60 said:

WHAT?!?!?! You don't fill with nitrogen?     :4316:

I prefer helium but with supply chain issues I have to settle for regular air. 🤣 

• Haha 1
MichiganBob

Around 1980, I was working in a motorcycle store next to the BMW shop in Salt Lake City. On Saturday afternoon, a guy walked in who wanted new spark plugs for his Beemer. The BMW shop was closed until Monday. We sold him so NGK's but saw him Monday in front of the BMW shops tossing the NGK's in the trash and installing Bosch plugs. Go figure.

• Haha 1
roadscholar
3 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Around 1980, I was working in a motorcycle store next to the BMW shop in Salt Lake City. On Saturday afternoon, a guy walked in who wanted new spark plugs for his Beemer. The BMW shop was closed until Monday. We sold him so NGK's but saw him Monday in front of the BMW shops tossing the NGK's in the trash and installing Bosch plugs. Go figure.

I had a Porsche shop in the 70’s and always used NGK’s in 911’s (6cyl airhead/oilhead) unless the customer said differently. Even in the mechanical injected S’s and Turbo’s that took a very cold plug. The Bosch equivalent was ‘platinum tipped’, cost 3 or 4 times as much with no difference in performance or longevity. 

I did try Champions in the race car once (twin plug with a smaller diameter) because NGK didn’t make one at the time. They sucked so had the use the Bosch racing plugs at $80. each X 12 = ouch : )

MichiganBob

Thats $960 just for plugs. That's nuts.

BTW, I only use BMW air in my RT. Runs a lot smoother on most roads.

1 hour ago, MichiganBob said:

Thats $960 just for plugs. That's nuts.

Race cars. The best way to make a small fortune.

Out of a large fortune 

• Haha 1
roadscholar
4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Race cars. The best way to make a small fortune.

Out of a large fortune 

That’s an understatement and no laughing matter  : )

Fortunately it was somewhat rare, a 75 Carrera RSR that continually increased in value since it was new, .Not a lot while I had it in the late 70’s/early 80’s but has in the last decade or so. It did cover the price of those plugs and a few other maintenance items though. :)

Then..

2.jpg

IMG_0688.JPG

And now..

75-Porsche-RSR_Racer-DV-09_BH-01.jpg

My brother scored a deal on modified Pontiac Solstice. Yes, a Solstice, not known as real hot rods, but this one has an oversized turbo, modified suspension, brakes, wheels, you name it, set up for autocross and track duty. His friend, a real car guy, tells him, you are about to find out what it takes to keep a race car on the road.

He's had it a few years, not a year has gone by without some minor to almost major work.

This year it went in to get the turbo fixed, maybe replaced.

It got a new motor. Cheaper than repairing what was there. It still got the new turbo too.

He says it runs really good. Having his wallet much lighter added speed.

• Smile 1
DaveTheAffable

I’ve been putting off replacing the Takata airbag on my R1200 RT. I don’t live in a humid climate, so I don’t think it’s an issue.

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
Yeeha Stephen
On 6/19/2022 at 1:25 PM, taylor1 said:

I used to use distilled air in my tires, but now I only use tap air, as it tends to keep the tires a little rounder.

You make a joke but that really happens in the real world. When I was a kid, my dad had an Exxon gas station (when they were ENCO/Humble) in the well-to-do part of town. Almost daily we would have people come in and make me let all the air out of their tires and put "fresh" air in! Swore the cars rode better with fresh air.

OMG, and in the mid-sixties when FINA stations did a Pink Air campaign (they dyed their air with a pink tinted powder) saying their Pink Air was better than anyone else's. My life was hell!

Rich Lincoln driver:"What color is your air young man?" Me: "It's clear ma'am." Driver: "No thank you, I'll get my pink air from the FINA down the Street."

FINA's Pink Air - The Additive of the Future!

pink3sample.jpg

Probably  around 1969 or so a guy my dad had sold a new corvette to came in to the dealership hopping mad.  He had only used us for maintenance and he had been strict about the maintenance.  His son told him we weren't taking care of the car the way it was supposed to be.  We had let the anti-freeze in it so long it had turned green....like mold.  Ahhh...Sir....let me show you what comes out of a new can.

And then there was the time the lady came in with her 1964 Impala.  She bought it new.  It was 1973.  She wanted an oil change and thats one of the things my dad had me do.  What kind of oil do you want?  I dunno what it came with...thats what's in it now.  The car had about 50,000 miles on it. I put it on the lift, took out the drain plug...nothing.  Back down to check the oil filter ( it was a paper in a canister back then).  It looked like goo.  Back on the lift, pulled the oil pan and nothing but sludge.  Had to scrape it out with a putty knife.  Changed it all, started it up and the lifters were clacking like hell.  Adjusted the lifters and sent her on her way.  I left for college and never saw her again.

Plenty more but thats enough for now.  Stephen I definitely remember pink air.

MichiganBob

Pink air?? I lived a long time in Kansas with plenty of Fina stations.  For some weird reason, I can't remember this. Huh.

I dunno what pink air is,......but when the engineers at work piss me off, I crank the pink noise

• Smile 1