IGNORED

Charging an o9 gs1200

joeb

Hello all. Just purchased an o9 gs1200 and it is a different beast than my 03 1150rt.

I have a question on it's electrical system. The power plug that is on the left side just below the seat doesn't seem to be wired direct to the battery. I noticed that no power to it till I turn the key to ignition and then the power stays on for a short time after key is turned off. Is this normal and if so then how to plug in battery tender to charge over an extended time.

As always, thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, joeb said:

Hello all. Just purchased an o9 gs1200 and it is a different beast than my 03 1150rt.

I have a question on it's electrical system. The power plug that is on the left side just below the seat doesn't seem to be wired direct to the battery. I noticed that no power to it till I turn the key to ignition and then the power stays on for a short time after key is turned off. Is this normal and if so then how to plug in battery tender to charge over an extended time.

As always, thanks in advance.

Afternoon joeb

That factory power port outlet needs a special charger to allow you to charge through that outlet as it needs to keep the computer alive during the charging. 

If you want to charge the conventional way then just hook up a charging pigtail directly to your battery then charge it through that with you present charger.

Just make sure your charger never exceeds 15 volts during the charge cycles (unless you try to use a de-sulfation cycle then most chargers don't get to 15 volts while charging. 

Now your answer raises another question. 

Can I disconnect the installed wires from their power source , insulate the cut off ends and connect those wires to the battery or is it tied into something else that will get out of sorts ?

I have enough experience with bmw to know that if they can they will complicate 2 wires and a socket.

Thanks again

57 minutes ago, joeb said:

Now your answer raises another question. 

Can I disconnect the installed wires from their power source , insulate the cut off ends and connect those wires to the battery or is it tied into something else that will get out of sorts ?

I have enough experience with bmw to know that if they can they will complicate 2 wires and a socket.

Thanks again

Afternoon  joeb

You could cut the factory wires then make, or buy,  a "fused" wire harness to connect your factory outlet directly to the battery but I really can't recommend cutting factory wires. 

On my own (computer controlled power outlets) I just unplug the factory wires then install an old 1100/1150 (large terminal) power outlet (or a PowerLet outlet kit). 

The newer factory outlets are not really rated for higher amp usage as they use tiny little terminals so I install the older larger terminal outlets then make up my own wire harness (all you need is some heat shrink over the older push-on terminals).

New small terminal outlets are fine for battery charging, or even most heated gear, but are not quite heavy duty enough to run things like high amp electric  tire pumps.