IGNORED

New Sargent seat on R12RT

Richard G

I recieved my new seats today.

I only had time to put it on and take it around town for a short ride. Initial impression, construction is very good and the seats fit the bike fine. It obviously feels a lot different than the stock seat. I cant tell yet if I feel lower or not. It is the regular height model. I do feel the seat "wings" under my thighs when putting my legs down, but not sure yet if I really feel much difference in foot to ground distance. More riding tme is needed.

I got the Carbon FX covering with red piping, and the red is quite close to the piedmont red. Looks good.

Rich

690544-SgtSeat.JPG.7ad3b8521e6ded21ed3f180520e837a2.JPG

When its on the bike, if you give the front a little pull upward, does it feel really secure, mine clicks and moves quite a bit, almost like the back seat is not really holding the front secure enough ? looks goood though

OK refitted seat, nice and secure now!! User error first time! Just took a short ride, wow, its worth the money I think, can't wait to try it on an all dayer

Sorry I didnt answer sooner, busy.

Mine fit secure with minimal play,

I went for a good ride the other night.

Feels different, harder, but very supportive.

I think my position has changed a bit.

Its not by much, but maybe a little higher or I am sitting farther back than before.

So far so good.

Rich

Have also have a piemont red R12RT and would love to see some close up pics of your new seat as am thinking of getting one myslef, as I find the stock seat extremely uncomfortable after about an hour or so regardless of what setting I have it on

Sorry I didnt answer sooner, busy.

Mine fit secure with minimal play,

I went for a good ride the other night.

Feels different, harder, but very supportive.

I think my position has changed a bit.

Its not by much, but maybe a little higher or I am sitting farther back than before.

So far so good.

Rich

Rich, I was one of the people who ordered the Sargent LOW seat for the 12RT, and my experience was the same. The seat was definitely firmer and wider, and I was probably at least an inch higher, as I could see the difference in my view over the windshield at it's highest point.

Unfortunately, the height and width of the Sargent didn't work for me in the end. The happy news is that I sent it back within the 30 day trial period and they cheerfully refunded my money right away.

Good service from Sargent...I wish it would have worked for me.

Cheers, Lynne

Graemer 57, Here is a link to more photos.

I took photos of the bottoms, showing the storage area.

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/Rich2888/R12RT%20Seat/

R12RT Seat - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lynne, I am going to give it some time, as I do like it.

But, there is the chance I might not feel really at home with it, I may send it back too. Hope I dont have to.

Rich

Sargent seats have a reputation of being very hard and pretty much stay that way. Unless you like a stiff seat, avoid. Mustang seats are worse.

I have a dual leather Rick Mayer and thought it was a little high. Tried a low Sargeant and found it was very uncomfortable compared to the Rick Mayer and the reach to the ground was worse. I am keeping the Mayer mainly because it looks better,reach is better, and I was able to ride for 7 hours with no discomfort. Do yourself a favour and send the Sargeant back.

I took the bike on a ride this sunday for a good sixty miles without stopping. Then another forty later on. I didnt get any numbness at all. While I would call the feel firm, I wouldnt say its hard. It feels similar to a Corbin a friend of mine has been riding for 20 years, and he still likes it.

I do feel the seat is a bit taller than the stock one, but not by much, so I lowered the rear shock preload all the way down,then up a couple of clicks. That helped me reach the ground better.

I heard that the Mayers were good seats too, but I didnt want to send in my original seats.

One option would be to buy someone elses unused stock seats and send those in.

For now, I am getting more comfortable with it, and it feels good, so I think the seat will be staying.

Rich

• 9 months later...

Here's an update on this thread for anyone considering Sargent's low seat. They have recently redesigned their low seat because people were complaining that the seat's shape made it feel significantly taller than the OEM low seat.

I figured I'd give it a try since they have a 30 day return policy. As far as height, it is now virtually the same as the OEM low seat - maybe a fraction of an inch taller - they

say they trimmed the nose a bit more allowing better reach to the ground. The seat feels very firm and I have only ridden about 20 miles on it so far but it feels pretty good. The wider shape definitely spreads the weight better and I am generally a fan of firm seats (I'm one of the few Corbin fans here). I'll post more after I get some real miles on this seat, but I think this will work out pretty well.

I had a Sargent seat for my ST1300A and loved it BECAUSE it was hard... which is the way you want your seat to be to give support on a long ride... I have found that soft, cushy seats tend to make your rear a bit numb after a few hours.

My observation after two years with the Sargent.

Here's an update on this thread for anyone considering Sargent's low seat. They have recently redesigned their low seat because people were complaining that the seat's shape made it feel significantly taller than the OEM low seat.

I figured I'd give it a try since they have a 30 day return policy. As far as height, it is now virtually the same as the OEM low seat - maybe a fraction of an inch taller - they

say they trimmed the nose a bit more allowing better reach to the ground. The seat feels very firm and I have only ridden about 20 miles on it so far but it feels pretty good. The wider shape definitely spreads the weight better and I am generally a fan of firm seats (I'm one of the few Corbin fans here). I'll post more after I get some real miles on this seat, but I think this will work out pretty well.

Look forward to your report. BTW, did you send them your seat? I ask because I have a low, heated seat.

Look forward to your report. BTW, did you send them your seat? I ask because I have a low, heated seat.

One reason I bought my Sargent (low seat, unheated) was that they use their own pans so you don't have to send your seats. However, you do have to get both front and rear seats because of the mounting arrangement. Where my stock (low, heated) '06 RT seat was good for only 50~60 miles, the Sargent works for me for about 300. Not being quite satisfied, I'm now having Rick Mayer build me a leather front seat on the original pan. However, my experience in dealing with Sargent was totally professional - the seat arrived when promised, it fits the bike better than stock and the workmanship is excellent.

I bought Sargent's "world sport seat" which uses their own pan. Very nicely made, fits and looks great, company is very professional and easy to deal with, and no down time for turn around.

bluejoeblue

I purchased the Sargent low seat for my R12RT. The seat is wider with more support. However, the seat is firm/hard. I was feeling numbness and pain at 20-30 miles. I can ride significantly longer on the stock seat. This seat did not work for me, very hard and uncomfortable with decrease in tolerable range compared to stock. I continue to look for a more comfortable seat that will not affect my reach to the ground. Sargent was very efficient with their shipping and service. I returned the seat and was refunded promptly.

I purchased the Sargent low seat for my R12RT. The seat is wider with more support. However, the seat is firm/hard. I was feeling numbness and pain at 20-30 miles. I can ride significantly longer on the stock seat. This seat did not work for me, very hard and uncomfortable with decrease in tolerable range compared to stock. I continue to look for a more comfortable seat that will not affect my reach to the ground. Sargent was very efficient with their shipping and service. I returned the seat and was refunded promptly.

What do you weigh? This is the first post I've seen from anyone who found the Sargent to be less comfortable than the stock seat, although a few reported little improvement.

Update to my upadate -

Put about 200 miles on the new Sargent low seat today. Bottom line is, its going back. While the wider seat spreads the weight out much better than the stock seat, it is just TOO firm for my taste - firmer even than Corbin. I started getting uncomfortable after only about 30 or so miles - even sooner than with the stock seat.

So, Rick Mayer here I come.

I had a Sargent seat for my ST1300A and loved it BECAUSE it was hard...

+1 on my 1200RT.......It's a low model and I don't think about the seat much anymore....We all "feel" something after a long time in the saddle no matter what you're sitting on but I think the Sargent is about as good as it can get for me...... thumbsup.gif

Phil.........Redbrick

I had a Sargent seat for my ST1300A and loved it BECAUSE it was hard...

+1 on my 1200RT.......It's a low model and I don't think about the seat much anymore....We all "feel" something after a long time in the saddle no matter what you're sitting on but I think the Sargent is about as good as it can get for me...... thumbsup.gif

Phil.........Redbrick

Phil, did you find there was any change in your reach to the ground with the low Sargent? Also, did your bike come from the factory with heated seats?

I've got heated seats (low), and was musing about the low Sargent seat, with the heating option that's fully integrated with the BMW controls.

Quote:

"Phil, did you find there was any change in your reach to the ground with the low Sargent? Also, did your bike come from the factory with heated seats?"

Quote:

Mark.......

There is a definite difference in ground reach with the Sargent low seat and the BMW low model which I also have..Sargent is wider in the thigh area making leg reach shorter...I don't know the exact difference but think that it is at least an inch farther to the ground net....I have a 29" inseam, ride in the low position and slide forward when stopping where it is a little tippy-toey...No complaints but read on a recent thread somewhere (maybe this one) that Sargent is making their low seat lower now....Probably in response to comments (complaints?) from customers...

I like the seat and wouldn't change unless it was for a new lower-low but that's not likely as my seat is only a few months old...

Mine's not heated.......

IMG_0399.jpg

Phil........Redbrick

Sorry for the hijack Phil, who's 'tail bag' is that on your RT in the photo?? I have been looking for an alternative to the big top case for awhile now...

Jim

Sorry for the hijack Phil, who's 'tail bag' is that on your RT in the photo?? I have been looking for an alternative to the big top case for awhile now...

Jim

It's a Cortech (Tour Master) non-magnetic tank bag that I strapped on with the same straps that came with the bag...It's about 13 L X 9 W X 6 D with the capability to expand upwards by unzippering 3/4 around the top...Pretty common bag.....Works well and carry tire repair and maintenance type stuff in there for short rides rather than putting on top or side cases..

Notice velcro for map case on top...Kind of hard to read a map back there when you're riding ! lmao.gif

Sorry.....Couldn't resist...

Tailbag001.jpg

Phil........Redbrick

Archived