IGNORED

Clutch lever

Ozzyal

Ok ,  I've picked up a 2013 GSW ,  no shift assist    ,  what's the deal with the inconsistent lever position at clutch take up point  ?  

Is it a service issue  ,  temp related  ?  

Doesn't seem much point trying to adjust the position  , given its okay sometimes and not at others   .  

Help  ,  please explain this to me . 

9 hours ago, Ozzyal said:

Ok ,  I've picked up a 2013 GSW ,  no shift assist    ,  what's the deal with the inconsistent lever position at clutch take up point  ?  

Is it a service issue  ,  temp related  ?  

Doesn't seem much point trying to adjust the position  , given its okay sometimes and not at others   .  

Help  ,  please explain this to me . 

Morning   Ozzyal

You have an early  water cooled 1200 so it has a wet clutch.

Can you tell us when the clutch feels good & when it feels bad?_________

If it is on a cool or cold ride-away then possibly incorrect engine oil. 

If just random then possibly a clutch basket/clutch plate deal. Possibly even a loose nut on the clutch basket. (keep an eye on your R/H cam chain for signs or rivet wear)

If it happens after a long freeway ride then possibly air getting into the clutch hydraulic line. 

Without riding that motorcycle it is difficult to tell you much without a lot of guessing. 

BMW did make some clutch changes in later models so possibly something with that. 

Thanks @dirtrider 

To be honest I haven't done enough miles yet to workout a pattern  . 

Seems okay first up ( cold ) but then just sometimes  , I'll pull up at an intersection  , I  go to take off and stall because the take up point is almost immediately away from the bar  . 

Get back home  , pull up in front of the garage,  idle for a couple of minutes as I open up  , select 1st and it's almost like I'm still in neutral the take up is so far out . 

Engine oil you say ? 

Perhaps first thing to do is run some flush and refill with correct oil  ? 

Is the clutch fluid a simple change/ flush procedure  ? 

Anywhere in particular I should be looking for the air leak in the system  ? 

10 minutes ago, Ozzyal said:

Thanks @dirtrider 

To be honest I haven't done enough miles yet to workout a pattern  . 

Seems okay first up ( cold ) but then just sometimes  , I'll pull up at an intersection  , I  go to take off and stall because the take up point is almost immediately away from the bar  . 

Get back home  , pull up in front of the garage,  idle for a couple of minutes as I open up  , select 1st and it's almost like I'm still in neutral the take up is so far out . 

Engine oil you say ? 

Perhaps first thing to do is run some flush and refill with correct oil  ? 

Is the clutch fluid a simple change/ flush procedure  ? 

Anywhere in particular I should be looking for the air leak in the system  ? 

Evening Ozzyal

Draining & installing the correct engine oil is probably a good start but I suggest that you don't try to use any type of crankcase flush.  

Is the clutch fluid a simple change/ flush procedure  ? -- Yes, that is a pretty simple procedure but be sure to use the correct fluid.

Anywhere in particular I should be looking for the air leak in the system ? -- Typically the air enters from the slave cylinder but on the wethead bikes I don't have enough experience with air entry into the hydraulics to give you anything conclusive. 

• Smile 1

I think there are some threads here, or on the R1200GS forum discussing this varying clutch lever engagaement point.  My 2014 GS grabs just off the grip when first pulling away when cold, then settles into normal actuation. Doesn't seem to be a problem. I just am aware that it will grab immediately when cold and prepare accordingly. It's been consistent in that respect.

• Thinking 1