IGNORED

To Tip or Not to tip

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

I'm just curious about your opinions/practices. I ordered a part for my lawn today online and when I was checking out, a box came up suggesting that I add a tip for the warehouse staff who is packing and sending the part. It included different amounts as a suggested amount. I never came across that before and thought it was an inappropriate request. Would you and if so, why?

As to carryout, once again there is a request for a tip when I pick up the order. They never brought my food to the table, water, and whatever else is included in table service. Why should I tip the person at the counter? Should I tip the cook as well?

How about the UPS or Amazon delivery folks?

There is discussion that our country is getting "tip fatigue." Anyhow, I'm just wondering where you stand on tipping and your practices.

• Like 1
  • MichiganBob changed the title to To Tip or Not to tip

From what I understand, a lot of those tip jars at the counters are split between all the folks on duty, or so I have been told in some instances.   Seems sort of pointless to me, but I do not earn a living like they do.  I rarely put anything in there other than the coins that I received as change, for the most part.

As far as tipping, I do tip well for my pizza to be delivered accurately, hot, and in an expiditious fashion.  I order and pay online, but give the driver cash.  Our UPS, USPS, and garbage folks get gratuity in the form of a gift card inside a holiday greeting card at Christmas time.  Any workers that deliver large items or perform repairs/chores usually get some form of grattitude allowing them to enjoy a nice lunch from Chik-Fil-A.  They definitely earn it, but never expect anything (that I can tell.)

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
Brodiepunker18

@MichiganBob

I also feel this way. Unless I am getting table service or delivery(pizza 99% of the time) I don’t tip. All you did was your job in handing me my food and making it, hopefully correctly which is about a 50/50 shot most times anyways…

I will say, I did ask about it at a couple different places regarding the tip on the receipt, and I was told that it’s the software they’re using…so it’s programmed to ask whether or not it’s appropriate in the situation or not. Doesn’t make it right though…I know some people feel obligated to tip when it shows up but I don’t.

tipping for doing their job in a warehouse to pack an order is ridiculous in my opinion. 

I have offered a drink to the people delivering furniture but always get told no thank you.

and I have never personally tipped my mail person, trash guy(I was one), or package delivery person. I’m not saying I don’t appreciate what they do but I never see them so how am I to know it’s the same person every time all year long?

with wages on the rise, albeit inflation killing any gains whatsoever, tipping every one is getting out of hand. Too many hands out expecting extra money when they don’t deserve it. Especially when they can’t do their jobs correctly in the first place. 

I am not tipping for a product to be pulled from the shelf, packed, and sent to me. I paid for that by buying it, especially for on-line purchases.

I'm pretty sure the actual people doing the work will never see that money anyway.

Wait staff, pizza delivery, yes, they get tipped.

I tip the guys that deliver my furniture, appliances. I do not tip my lawn guy.

Mailman, trash pick up, they get a little something at Christmas.

It's a joy living in a country where all workers are paid well and there is almost zero tipping.

Dave from Australia. 

• Like 3

I tip well at restaurants. Try to do it in cash. Don't trust the management to give credit card tips to the right people. Just like so many things in society, we are told it is Good to call someone a hero or whatever, that you Should tip this and that person, and now I am hearing you should tip because that is an important part of how people are paid in the kitchen? Much of this comes from those that want you to tip or acknowledge them for doing their job. Not always so much those that might be whom you would want to tip. So, I play by society rules much of the time. When I get a delivery from a tailgate freight load and they help me get that box to the shop and put out the extra effort it is common to tip them decent folding money. Waitstaff that has my drink refilled and takes care of everything ( I especially like when they watch from a distance to judge if they are needed without coming to bug me every two minutes) will get a good tip. I don't tip delivery drivers, damn sure don't tip when I drive to a place to pick up food. 

Yes, we are being brainwashed that tipping is what good people do. Bad people don't. Which do you want to be? 

Now, to add to this discussion, if you tip 20% how to you figure that? 20% is considered a good tip on average. But why would you tip on the tax? Not uncommon to have nearly $10 in taxes or more with a larger group. I calculate tip on pre tax. I am sure I am an SOB for that but there it is!

I would love to go to a restaurant that has a menu that says "Absolutely No Tipping!". "We have adjusted pricing so we can pay a good wage to those that serve you! If they don't serve you well, they won't be here next time!"

And there it is. Tipping was for those that went well outside what is normal or expected. Now, and that is me included, tend to tip automatically. Even when you should tip NOTHING based on service or quality of the meal ( or whatever service you are tipping on).

My wife worked in a retail liquor store, one of the young girls that worked there would put out a tip jar at the cash register. My wife would remove it every time and tell her hell no. The girl finally got it through her head that it wasn't going to fly when my wife was there.

Tip jars at retail cash register check out lanes are ignored by me every time, I find them quite tacky.

• Plus 1 3

Growing up, tipping was basically for only waitresses. It was done to help supplement their income as they were one of the only jobs that weren't required to be paid minimum wage.
The better the service or connection, the better the tip. Today with the culture of free handouts and I'm owed it attitudes, it has gotten way out of hand. I have always given decent tips to my servers, but that is where it ends. On occasion I do give someone money that was not expected out of gratitude, and not because it is politically correct. I have friends that drive quite frequently from N.C. to Delaware and N.Y.  Told me they hate getting gas in N.J.  They said that you just about take your life in your own hands if you don't tip the attendant that pumps your gas. INSANE

• Like 1

I’ve tipped for bad service before because like Terry mentioned, it’s almost automatic. It may have been a little less where it should have been nothing. :dopeslap:

Here’s one that I still feel good about. A few years back I was up at the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound and they had exchange students working summer jobs. I gave one of them ten bucks for doing such good work wiping down the picnic tables in the outside seating area. It wasn’t required or even remotely expected, but it was very appreciated, I think. :dontknow:

• Like 1

A friend of mine over-tipped a waiter at a better restaurant, way over-tipped, the waiter came back and said I think you made a mistake. He and his wife said no, your service and attitude was exceptional, we want you to know it's appreciated.

Probably helped renew the waiter's appreciation of his job.

MichiganBob

I found this on the web. Not sure it's true but it's interesting. 

"Originating in Europe, the U.S. adopted tipping as an aristocratic practice symbolic of sophistication. As the practice became popularized in the aftermath of the Civil War, it spread through the U.S. as a way to avoid paying formerly enslaved workers."

TIP is an acronym for To Insure Prompt Service which is weird since I believe you strive to do your job well without requiring additional validation. But I'm an old fart.

It's also interesting how the suggested amount has inched up. I remember when it was 15%, now 18% or 20% is the  norm for some.

Like many aspects of forced social behavior, there is a stigma if you don't comply. Fear of being thought of as cheap.

Why should I make up for wages that are not sufficient by employers.

Excuse my Monday rambling. I must be retired.

I realize it’s different for everyone but I’d love to know just how much the average person has spent on tipping in say, a fifty year life span.

I bet it’d be a good down payment on a new BMW motorcycle. :classic_biggrin:

I have worked a lot of jobs in my life and never got or expected a tip. I think the tipping situation has gotten out of hand. It now just perpetuates businesses under paying their staff. Tipping cash just enables people to cheat on their taxes, so I tip on a credit card. I pay my taxes, so they should too. Some restaurant employees make a small fortune on tips for very little effort. Some high-end establishments actually charge their wait staff to work for them. I had a friend with an aeronautical engineering degree that found that he made more money as a waiter at a fancy restaurant 3 nights a week than he did as an engineer.

Yes I feel for those wait staff that work at small Mom and Pops. I don't see how they make ends meet. But why not get a job that pays a living wage? I always looked at any job that didn't pay what I wanted as a temporary job.

I have no problem tipping for excellent service, but I think it is extortion to expect a tip for delivering food and then disappearing. Tipping for average service is just plain stupid.

On 6/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, MichiganBob said:

make up for wages that are not sufficient by employers

In Idaho the minimum wage for service workers is a lot lower than for most jobs and the food service industry exploits that. I'll bet there are other States that do as well.

That said, I do tip according to service level and have been generous post pandemic.......... happy that these folks went back to work.

ps.  My wife and I are loving the 'Bama coast!!

• Like 2
On 6/12/2022 at 6:52 PM, MichiganBob said:

I'm just curious about your opinions/practices. I ordered a part for my lawn today online and when I was checking out, a box came up suggesting that I add a tip for the warehouse staff who is packing and sending the part. It included different amounts as a suggested amount. I never came across that before and thought it was an inappropriate request. Would you and if so, why?

As to carryout, once again there is a request for a tip when I pick up the order. They never brought my food to the table, water, and whatever else is included in table service. Why should I tip the person at the counter? Should I tip the cook as well?

How about the UPS or Amazon delivery folks?

There is discussion that our country is getting "tip fatigue." Anyhow, I'm just wondering where you stand on tipping and your practices.

If I ordered a part and saw that “tip” box pop-up I’d cancel the order and look elsewhere.  I'd also do my best to tell them why they lost the sale.

• 1 month later...
MichiganBob

Went to a new mom and pop restaurant last week, nothing fancy, When it was time for the bill, she brought me her tablet and it had a place for giving a tip. That's not unusual these days but it had five boxes .... none, 20%, 25%, 30%, and custom. Struck me that the recommended amounts seemed really high and putting me in the position of having to reject one of these three amounts inappropriate. Just saying.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
5 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Went to a new mom and pop restaurant last week, nothing fancy, When it was time for the bill, she brought me her tablet and it had a place for giving a tip. That's not unusual these days but it had five boxes .... none, 20%, 25%, 30%, and custom. Struck me that the recommended amounts seemed really high and putting me in the position of having to reject one of these three amounts inappropriate. Just saying.

Was in a high-end retail shop two days ago.  There was a tip jar at the register.

18 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Was in a high-end retail shop two days ago.  There was a tip jar at the register.

Did you pull a couple bucks out?

26 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

You can go Custom and make it right for you. Still a pain in the ashe.

18 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

having to reject one of these three amounts inappropriate.

We always have cash for the tip. I check the "none" box, or write "cash" on the charge slip and leave what I feel is appropriate:java:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Cash tips ensure that the server gets the tip directly,  whereas credit or debit tips often don't get passed along until the store or restaurant is reimbursed by the card company. Even then, unscrupulous management has been known to not properly pass the tip to the server, or "distributes" it to other employees in the interest of "fairness".

I always try to tip in cash 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

I try hard not to be guilted into a tip, or a too high tip.   I just gave a shuttle driver between Opileka (Alabama) and the Atlanta airport $20.  I probably wouldn't have tipped in that situation if their software hadn't suggested it.  He did give good service, it was a long trip, and I kind of budgeted it into that trip anyways, so I don't regret it.  Most of the time, though, I don't cave.  That's probably the most I've ever tipped anyone.

I routinely tip at restaurants, 15% for decent service, 20% for good or exceptional service, or 10% for minimal service, or in establishments were you get your order up front, seat yourselves, never see  a server, but the busman or woman is out on the floor working, providing drinks, etc.  I rarely stiff servers, i.e. they have to be really, really bad.   In Pensacola a couple of weeks ago, we went to a hotel restaurant on the bay as a bit of a (pre)birthday treat for my wife.  We sat out on the covered, screened in patio, which was only available, I imagine, because it had just been raining a torrential downpour, and the area was still wet.  Short story long, the Italian food was OK, not great, but it took 45 min+ to get it to us.   I normally would have stiffed this waitress, but she did everything except jumping jacks at our table to apologize and check in on us, while she was handling a very large party next door.   I tipped her 20%, my wife and I enjoyed the evening together, even if we were pretty hungry and tired from our road trip there.  The server earned her tip.

I'm cheap, though, and don't like to tip.  So, I have always avoided restaurants in favor of fast food joints.  (My wife is more frugal than I am, and it's like pulling teeth to get her to come to a sit-down, restaurant.)  I have worked in restaurants, and depended on tips for a large part of my (college) income, so I know the score.  (Moreover, my daughter did the same, and she's the one who MADE me start leaving 20%, when my top bracket had always been, 15%.  See, it's not always about tipping culture.  Daughters are great at coercion.😁)

I'll occasionally leave cash in a tip jar at say, a subway.  I agree with others, i.e. I won't tip auto parts guys, I won't tip every time there's a tip jar at every business, and I really take offense, SERIOUS OFFENSE, as in "I may never patronize the place again", for non-restaurant businesses that shove it in your face via their computer.   (Restaurants and restaurant employees are under particular IRS audit stress, so I don't blame them for the tip proposals, if it keeps the IRS thugs off everyone's back.)  I feel the same about obnoxious restaurants which propose tips STARTING at 25%.   Uhh... no, just no, your server just lost at least 5% of their tip, and you won't see me here again.

Tips may be traditional, but it's for good service, period.  I try to follow that guideline.  And yes, I nearly always tip cash, both due to the aforementioned thugs, as well as to ensure the server and bus people get their tip.

I had a coworker whose wife waited tables at a popular sports bar/restaurant years ago. The state governor and a lot of his staff and all their hanger-ons would show up frequently. Very demanding and rude. $500+ tab (in 1970s) and usually left a one dollar tip. I don’t won’t to tell you what can happen because of that. 

TracerBullet

I’m seeing more and more restaurants automatically including 18%. Used to only be for parties of 6 or more.

• Like 1

I haven't seen that yet except as mentioned for parties of 6 or more.

I don't like that practice being imposed on all bills, but it will actually save me 2 to 7% or more, because my minimum is usually 20%.

Thinking about it now, I might ask to have it removed, both on principle, and so I can tip with cash to the server.

• Like 1