IGNORED

HELP!!! I need a stator,bad, real bad

rounder jim

rounder jim

Memorial Day weekend the stator on my high mileage 2015 RT failed with my wife on the back ,in a construction zone ,on Interstate 294 south of O'hare airport.The bike eventually got towed to the dealer and diagnosed with a bad stator.  A"new "oem stator is $1280.                                                                                     I finally got the 2022 RT I had ordered the day after the dealer got my old RT. But I still want that old bike though. But because it has so many miles I plan to use it as a second bike that will get ridden in the rain or stapping big things on it that won't fit in the bags. I doubt that bike will see more than a 1000 miles a year from now on.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Rick's Motorsports Electronics will rewind and fix my bad stator for less than $200. This where my problem comes in. They require a my bad stator or a core . To get at the stator on 2015 RT the swing arm and engine need to be removed from the bike. Then the trans end plate has to be removed so they can slide the cassette style trans out. They can access the stator from the opening in the cases where the trans was.  They told me 7 hours labor at $125 . They also said to replace the regulator.  The dealer doesn't want to tie up a lift for over 2 weeks while we wait for my rebuilt stator to get back. I don't blame him                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I can find used GS stators or even buy a new aftermarket stator for less than $200.But I can't find a used RT stator, a good one or even a bad one that I would use for a core. And no the the GS and RT stators are not the same.                                                                                                                                                           Does someone have a RT stator I could buy . Or a bad one I can borrow. Or the names of places that sell used BMW parts. Or another I idea I haven't thought of yet. I don't know how long my dealer will let that bike sit there before they want it out of there. Any help would be appreciated.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

• Sad 1
rounder jim

thanks Reg and Scott, I tried Beemer Bone yard already and inquired about the part in the pic. I thought it looked like a clutch basket. The woman who answered my call  found out it's not a basket but the assembly the stator goes into.              

My wife asked how I would borrow a stator and it occurred to me others wouldn't know either. If someone had a  stator they thought was good I would send it to Rick's to confirm It's good. Have my dealer install it and then send my bad one to Rick's to be rewired. Then I would send it to the person i borrowed the stator from. They would get a fresh stator.  After reading my posts It occured to me I must sound desperate. Maybe i am

Sometimes I'm like a dog with a bone, or looking for a bone.  🙄

I'm confused.  The BMW fiche for a 2015 RT shows the (internally mounted) alternator, but not a stator, unless it's internal to the alternator on this model.

Part: 12 31 8 556 028

Is this what you are looking for? (then the part I posted above; is it?).

By the way, just checked a 2015 GS, and it does have a different part number.

image.png.1f729085c2232beca4d4d101ceb9f908.png

I guess what's confusing me, is that I thought stators were on motorcycles that didn't HAVE an alternator (like my dirt bikes).  They are used to generate power.  Alternators generate the electrical power on the Beemers (RTW's), and on the wetheads, they are built into the engine compartment.  I can't find a part reference on a "stator" for a wethead R1200RT. 

Taking myself back to "school":  https://www.uti.edu/blog/motorcycle/alternator-vs-stator

As stated above, a stator is one component of the motorcycle charging systems. Motorcycle alternator refers to a collection of components that includes the stator, but also includes magnets and a rectifier/regulator (devices that convert AC current to DC current and maintain steady output).

Have you asked if they would send you the needed parts, charge you for the core then refund the core once you send them in? 

• Like 1
rounder jim

Thanks Scott, I've been told the stator fits inside the part in the pic you posted earlier.  You do have the correct part number though. Yes i asked if they had a stator and if I could pay a core charge to be refunded when I sent them my bad one. They said no , they have no stators for the RTW. When I send them mine or one I find they repair that one and send it back. Thats where the 2 week wait comes in. They are backed up and said it  would take that long to get to it , fix it and send it back.

19 minutes ago, rounder jim said:

Thanks Scott, I've been told the stator fits inside the part in the pic you posted earlier.  You do have the correct part number though. Yes i asked if they had a stator and if I could pay a core charge to be refunded when I sent them my bad one. They said no , they have no stators for the RTW. When I send them mine or one I find they repair that one and send it back. Thats where the 2 week wait comes in. They are backed up and said it  would take that long to get to it , fix it and send it back.

Why not just replace the whole part with the (used) Alternator, stator included?  Am I missing something?  I know it's a ton of labor to replace the alternator, but are they able somehow to replace the stator with less effort?

• Like 1
rounder jim

The part in the ad is not the whole alternator/stator. it is just the part the alternator goes into. Look at all the pics in the ad and you will see no wires at all in any of them. Look at pics of stators in other ads and you will see the difference.

58 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

Why not just replace the whole part with the (used) Alternator, stator included?  Am I missing something?  I know it's a ton of labor to replace the alternator, but are they able somehow to replace the stator with less effort?

It's a Wethead, the alternator function is built into the engine. It is not a separate, discrete unit like on a car or older boxer. (Though BMW does sell the two main parts as one unit)  

The bowl shaped rotor portion (aka magnetic wheel) is attached directly to the end of the crank, where it provides additional flywheel mass. 

image.png

The fixed stator (with the brown coils) is mounted in the engine housing so that the rotor spins around it.

image.png

Repairing the "alternator" by replacing the stator does necessarily require doing anything with the rotor. If the newer part number is being installed, I would want to replace both parts.

• Like 1

Not just BMW, a certain vintage of Goldwings used an internal stator system.

OP - it’s a million to 1, but I recall a post in the Wethead section by someone who had a stator failure/replacement like you have in front of you. Maybe PM them and see if they have the old parts? Good luck on your search.

6 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Love my Camhead....... only BMW would  bury the alternator like that:4607:

Pick your poison. With the camhead, clutch requires splitting the bike. On wetheads, clutch is easily accessible.

6 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Pick your poison. With the camhead, clutch requires splitting the bike. On wetheads, clutch is easily accessible.

Agreed.  The stator may fail at some point.  The clutch is a wear item... its guaranteed to need replacement!  IMO it makes more sense to have the clutch be more easily accessible.

• Plus 1 1
rounder jim

The stator in my bike lasted until 224,500 something . I don't know the exact miles because it's in the shop.  I am not complaining at all that the stator went bad after that many miles. Alittle disappointed but not mad. But I still want to ride this bike. With a new stator and some new shocks I would travel with this bike.  By the way , 224,500 and still on the original clutch                                                                                                                                     So the search continues for a stator . A good one or a bad one. It just has to be from an RT.

• Like 1

Mine went out with 29k mi, and my dealer said they had plenty of ‘‘em in stock as they supply the lapd with them. Maybe you could sniff around and find out where a fleet RTs get serviced near you and try to finagle a used one. What do fleet managers do with all of their broken stators???  I’ll stop by my dealer this week and ask about acquiring a used one for you. 

rounder jim

Thankyou John,  I don't know of P.D. around here that uses BMW for their motos. But that is a great idea. You find me a stator I will buy you a steak dinner

On 6/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, alegerlotz said:

the clutch be more easily accessible.

I get that it is easier but how come it costs just as much to replace as a dry clutch????

• Thinking 1
18 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I get that it is easier but how come it costs just as much to replace as a dry clutch????

That's a different problem ;)

• Smile 1

The dealer says they have to return to Germany any stators replaced under warranty and those that aren’t under warranty are thrown away or given back to the customer. The lapd has several repair facilities which go through stators on a regular basis though I have no connection there. Sorry. Hmmm there is a recently retired motor officer on this site, though I think his dept used a dealer for all maintenance. 

rounder jim

I finally found a 2015 rt stator on ebay. It got shipped to my house but we're on the road for 3 weeks on the new RT. Called Rick's Motorsports Electronics this am and was told theres a 2 to 3 week back log . But that's ok.with me.I don't know the final costs of shipping ( the step son will ship it for me tomorrow )or the final cost yet for rewinding it but I'm guessing I will save about $950. When I get it back and the dealer installs it and I pay him I will post the final costs

• Like 1