IGNORED

General module failure?

RandyShields

RandyShields

I am looking for any insight on this topic from the collective.  The battery on my 2016 RT was dying and I had to charge it overnight to start the bike.  I noticed that the battery indicator failure light was on and that the gas gauge and turn signals didn't work as I rode it to the shop.  After the battery was replaced, those still didn't work and we discovered that the lights, horn, and GPS connection also did not work.  After being wheeled back into the shop to run a diagnostic, it was determined that the general module was not responding.  The bike was luckily at the dealer and not halfway to Springfield, MO, so that is a good thing, but I am doubtful that it is just a loose connection somewhere.  Any input from folks?  Everything worked until the battery died.  Does it sound like I need a new general module?  Thanks in advance.

Randy

• Sad 3
Geekmaster

Randy, how did you charge the battery?  If you did not remove it from the bike, it is quite possible that the charger could have caused an over voltage condition and damaged the module.  I'm not an electrical expert, but I have heard that can be a problem. BMW only recommends charging the battery when disconnected from the bike, or with the special BMW Canbus compatible chargers through the aux. port.

RandyShields

Thanks.  Charged it on the bike with a Canbus compatible charger through the aux. port.  The charger is the same BMW model I've used for years with my bikes, and is not supposed to allow an over voltage situation.  But, something happened.

Definitely sounds like the module hopefully there is not a global backorder on the part.  The backup warning module is dead on my F150, it's been a month of waiting so far. 

15 hours ago, RandyShields said:

I am looking for any insight on this topic from the collective.  The battery on my 2016 RT was dying and I had to charge it overnight to start the bike.  I noticed that the battery indicator failure light was on and that the gas gauge and turn signals didn't work as I rode it to the shop.  After the battery was replaced, those still didn't work and we discovered that the lights, horn, and GPS connection also did not work.  After being wheeled back into the shop to run a diagnostic, it was determined that the general module was not responding.  The bike was luckily at the dealer and not halfway to Springfield, MO, so that is a good thing, but I am doubtful that it is just a loose connection somewhere.  Any input from folks?  Everything worked until the battery died.  Does it sound like I need a new general module?  Thanks in advance.

Randy

Morning Randy

If the motorcycle is in the shop then they will probably find the problem. Maybe not easily find it but they usually do eventually find the problem root. 

If working at home then first thing to try is a battery disconnect for an hour or so, then do a battery re-connect then see what you have. 

Next, I would probably do a charging system voltage check to verify that the alternator/regulator changing system is functioning properly.

RandyShields
22 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

If the motorcycle is in the shop then they will probably find the problem. Maybe not easily find it but they usually do eventually find the problem root. 

Thanks.  Yes, I left it there for them to work the problem.  I do hope they find it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 3:22 PM, RandyShields said:

Randy

Randy:   If you try to keep a weak battery powering your bike a long time, the low voltage eventually starts to fry other things.   I'm imagining that the canbus tripped a couple circuits and that they can be reset easily.   There are also a couple fuses to check.   It doesn't sound like anything expensive.  I trust it's sorted by now.   Hope it went well.

RandyShields
1 hour ago, tbrown said:

I trust it's sorted by now.   Hope it went well.

Thanks.  They tested a lot of items, but one of the general modules did need to be replaced.  Glad it didn't happen while I was on the road.

• Like 2