IGNORED

GS-911 or OBD with MotoScan

Alba

Looking for some guidance from the home mechanic servicing their GS. What is the best option?  Spend the big bucks on the GS-911 or pay half the money and get a OBD connector and MotoScan software.  From my research the MotoScan is viable option able to complete all the necessary actions to service my big.

What is your experience?

2 hours ago, Alba said:

Looking for some guidance from the home mechanic servicing their GS. What is the best option?  Spend the big bucks on the GS-911 or pay half the money and get a OBD connector and MotoScan software.  From my research the MotoScan is viable option able to complete all the necessary actions to service my big.

What is your experience?

Afternoon  Alba

I don't have any personal experience with using the MotoScan as I use the GS-911 exclusively. 

There are a few riders that I personally know that have & use the MotoScan for service functions & from their reports it does seem work OK for that.

Now I do have some experience with remotely helping a number of late model BMW riders that are using the  MotoScan (they use the MotoScan, send me the data or fault codes), then I help them based on the sent data. I have run into some issues on certain functions trapped by the MotoScan with the actual  MotoScan  trapped faults not matching my GS-911 data history or matching the BMW fault codes.  

• Thanks 1

I've used motoscan for the past few years.  Played with it on the 2006 RT and use it mostly for resetting the stoopid service indicator on the 2019GSA.  I also used it to reset the indicator on the HP4 when I had it.

if it comes to an issue I can't diagnose, I'll run the bike to the dealership..........that very, very seldom happens.

For the casual shadetree mechanic, the motoscan is worth it.

• Thanks 1
Geekmaster

I echo Rougarou's statement about MotoScan. I've used it on my 2014 RT with good success for the service functions.  It's easy to reset the service indicator, and I've used it to learn my new TPMS sensors.  I have not used it for diagnosing issues with the bike, yet, though.  However, I've heard that the developer is very responsive if you have questions on its usage.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Alba said:

Looks like no reason to pay almost twice as much for the GS-911.  Thanks all for the input.

GS-911 is $400

Motoscan paid license is $50 (if I recall correctly)

OBDLink MX $140 (but, this item can be used on multiple vehicles, not singled out to BMW only)

Android Device price varies,.....for about two years, I used one of my wife's old Samsung Galaxy phones,.....cost, zero.  Now that I purchased a Kindle Fire, I have the motoscan app on the Kindle Fire.