IGNORED

Ouch! Do your vacation plans include renting a car? Plan again.

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta
To those still planning summer travel, I would check rental car availability first. Let's just say, demand destruction became quite personal when I saw that it would cost $4,200 for a two week rental.

Notice the date.  They couldn't figure out how to start a flood.

image.png.9eb610c4e4bdb3c1dfa12209f2f8ebee.png
3 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:
To those still planning summer travel, I would check rental car availability first. Let's just say, demand destruction became quite personal when I saw that it would cost $4,200 for a two week rental.

Notice the date.  They couldn't figure out how to start a flood.

image.png.9eb610c4e4bdb3c1dfa12209f2f8ebee.png

... start a flood, or maybe start a car and move it.  🙄

It is kind of amazing.  Aside from that fire, it's almost like rental cars are mirroring the "average" $40K to $80K that new cars, SUV's, and trucks cost.  

I tried to set up a rental for my upcoming trip to the East Coast (Maine to Tennessee to Alabama), varying destination cities, trying airport rental versus in town (e.g. Enterprise), and the prices for a weekend or 10 days were in the multiple $1000's.  Not in any way affordable, particularly when air travel tickets have doubled or even tripled in price.  I figured out a solution by using a relative's vehicle (originally trip was Atlanta to Knoxville, Atlanta to Auburn, Atlanta to Myrtle Beach, etc., but I'm transporting vehicles from Maine, so we added that leg to our trip, and will make the best of the trip extension.  

But yeah, time to get used to shopping with the worthless dollar, it's gonna take a whole lot of 'em, bushels full, for anything you buy from here on out. 

(Thanks, FJB!)