IGNORED

Handlebar grip replacement

Scott9999

I'm sure that this has been beat to death, but I tried a few searches, and failed to find what I was looking for.

So, my 2018 RT grips are worn.  I'm considering some after market "made for BMW RT's" clone grips, or Grip Puppy replacements.  I've seen the O-ring and fishing pole slip covers.  All of these alternatives just seem like "hacks" to avoid replacing the OEM grips.  I did replace the OEM grips on one of my other RT's, and didn't damage the heating foil while removing the grips, so I expect that I can do it again.  The Grip Puppy product sounds great, but I'm resisting, why I'm not sure.  (I guess it's also why I replaced my original "sport screen" with first an OEM and then a Cal-Sci, rather than going with a Werks screen.  It's not about the money.  Sometimes I'm just stubborn about trying stuff.)

Anyhow, opinions, recommendations, insults?

Edit:  By the way, would anyone know what the ID and length should be, if I buy an after market rubber replacement grip?   26MM ID x 122MM Long, or 123MM, or 127MM?

Edit#2:  Looking at these things as possible OEM replacements.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SYBQWTF/?coliid=ITSSOV1HXE75S&colid=GCR6AS7CBTZ9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SYCDT3N/?coliid=I1AYRXS3HFOC01&colid=GCR6AS7CBTZ9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And this, if not the Grip Puppies

https://www.beemershop.com/product/smartskin-original-beemer-buddies-comfort-grips.html

I have Grip Buddies, similar to the beemershop smartskin.

They're padded, they work with heated grips--and best of all, they fit the hand just right.  Pic shows some wear after 10K miles.  Some riders may not like that they "wrap" over the original, letting rider can feel the seam underneath, but it doesn't bother me

1.jpg

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1

Grip puppies. They fatten up the grip and do all the things BendBill said. I’ve been using them for at least 15 years. They are also cheap. 

• Like 1
realshelby

Grip Puppies, Grip Buddies, and most "foam" covers are just that. They wear out and look bad if you ride a lot. They get wet and take a while to dry. I do like the diameter. BUT, my biggest gripe with foam covers is they reduce the feel of the bars. Squishy and numb feel when dragging parts in curves. 

My favorite grips ever were the factory Oilhead type. 

I tried about 3 kinds of foam covers and a couple replacement grips on my RT's. Then I found the O-ring setup.

Nothing even compares to the "O-ring" solution in feel, wet grip, diameter, and good wear. MHO. Takes something like 35 per grip.

Link to the ones I use:    https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_150_153&products_id=6607

• Thanks 1

I was curious about replacing my grips and was checking YouTube about doing it specifically on the RT heated grips and was surprised that most videos were demonstrating the cut off approach instead of the compressed air blow off the old grip and blow on the new grip technique.  No silicone lube also keeps the grip secure once in place is a big plus too.  Not sure if this approach is feasible though with the heated sleeves as the gap between the bar and heated sleeve may allow too much air to escape and not stretch the grip to ride on the air cushion between the grip and bar.  We'll see how it goes when I do this project a bit later this summer.

• Plus 1 1
49 minutes ago, Paul De said:

I was curious about replacing my grips and was checking YouTube about doing it specifically on the RT heated grips and was surprised that most videos were demonstrating the cut off approach instead of the compressed air blow off the old grip and blow on the new grip technique.  No silicone lube also keeps the grip secure once in place is a big plus too.  Not sure if this approach is feasible though with the heated sleeves as the gap between the bar and heated sleeve may allow too much air to escape and not stretch the grip to ride on the air cushion between the grip and bar.  We'll see how it goes when I do this project a bit later this summer.

Morning Paul

Never try to blow the BMW grips off if it has the heated grips. The heater is very wrap is very delicate & tear easily, plus the grip is sort of glued to the heater membrane. 

Plus, the BMW grips on bikes with bar end weights have fully open outer ends (just hollow tubes) so they are not like the old bikes that had closed-end handgrips with just that little breather hole in them.  

Carefully & cautiously ease the old grip off while cutting it & working it free.  

• Plus 1 1

I have small hands.  So when I got the RT, I liked the thinner grips.  But mine are starting to show a little wear.  Nothing bad, but I can see it.

When I bough the wife her RT, she didn't like the smaller grips.  Plus she has some wrist pain.  So I put the grip puppies on.  She loves them.  You can see some wear on them now with 5 years of use, but it's not bad.  And they aren't expensive, so I'll replace them at some point.

From time to time, I need to ride the wife's RT.  Test ride after tune-up, etc.  When I roached a rear tire in the Black Hills, we ended up riding two up on her bike for a day until my tire could get replaced.  After a day of using her bike, I decided I like the puppies.  They help with long riding fatigue.  So I have a set just waiting for me to install.  I keep forgetting I bought them.  A project for tomorrow with rain forecast.

5 hours ago, realshelby said:

Grip Puppies, Grip Buddies, and most "foam" covers are just that. They wear out and look bad if you ride a lot. They get wet and take a while to dry. I do like the diameter. BUT, my biggest gripe with foam covers is they reduce the feel of the bars. Squishy and numb feel when dragging parts in curves. 

My favorite grips ever were the factory Oilhead type. 

I tried about 3 kinds of foam covers and a couple replacement grips on my RT's. Then I found the O-ring setup.

Nothing even compares to the "O-ring" solution in feel, wet grip, diameter, and good wear. MHO. Takes something like 35 per grip.

Link to the ones I use:    https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_150_153&products_id=6607

Seems expensive at 50 cents an O-ring, but then again, at #35 per side, that's about $35 buck, which isn't bad for rehabilitating your grips.  Your issues on foam over-grips is spot on with my concerns.  Strong consideration ... thanks!

Well, at the end of the day, it's still a personal preference thing.   I knew from other reading that this would probably be so, the proverbial "oil thread" kinda thingy.  

However, your feedback has been excellent, along with a couple of great tips (and a caution).  I'll probably decide to decide ...um... later?  (Cause, I can't decide now, not quite yet.  I guess I hate doing things twice more than I hate my current worn grips.)

... not that I actually RIDE my bike, it's more just kind of a museum piece that I have to perfect.    🙄😕😖

Geekmaster

When I bought my RT, it only had 11k miles on it, but the original grips already seemed worn.  I really wanted to put on Spider grips, since I had those on my previous bike, and were the best I've ever had.  But I didn't want to do the delicate operation of removing the old ones, so I went with the Grip Buddies Lite (aka Beemer Buddies).  I was a little hesitant about the seam, but in practice I neither feel it or see it.  And the lite version thickens the grip a bit without making it too thick. It works fine with the heated grips.  In cooler temps, level 4 was too hot, so I bumped it down to 3.

All in all, I like the grips, although I still wish I could get the Spider grips on it.

realshelby
18 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Seems expensive at 50 cents an O-ring, but then again, at #35 per side, that's about $35 buck, which isn't bad for rehabilitating your grips.  Your issues on foam over-grips is spot on with my concerns.  Strong consideration ... thanks!

Yeah, I noticed the cost right off. I have a "supply" of them here as I bought enough to get a volume discount. I want to think I paid about $0.15 each a few years back.......

If you like a larger diameter grip ( which really helped my hands/wrists on long days), perfect wet grip, and something I don't think you can wear out then the up front cost is quickly forgotten. 

2 hours ago, Paul De said:

The O-ring approach sounds desirable ...

I put foam covers over my grips on my 2017, and O-rings on my 2019.  I like them both, but I think the O-rings are a bit better, because they don't change when they are wet. 

Cap

5 hours ago, Paul De said:

The O-ring approach sounds desirable and maybe a group buy would work to get the price down at the risk of a very slow boat from China

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Silicone-O-ring-Silicone-O-ring_1600175365498.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.3f81604aNqLlEX&s=p

I looked at the specs from the vendor's advertisement that Terry posted, and then started pricing out alternatives on Amazon.   The problem with buying cheap, (mostly) Chinese produced O-rings is quality control.  Short story long (well, y'all know how verbose I am anyhow 🤣), I was looking for O-rings for a water filter replacement, and ordered two or three different ones.  The specs said one thing for L x W x CS, the micrometer said another.  I don't know how "specific" these things have to be for this purpose, e.g. a little thicker, thinner, tighter, etc., may not matter, but when buying online, you almost have to order a couple to make sure you have the right size, before ordering a bazillion.  Plus, quality of materials is another issue, i.e. the cheap one's seem to stretch, deform, and wear out early.

I'm working on a Chinese vendor to pick up something like #50 O-rings for about $7.00.  It's low enough risk for even a cheap guy like me.  If I can find a good source and they work out, I'll post the info.  (If the vendor will work with me, I'll also look into costs on a volume buy.)  Terry's vendor is actually a pretty good one, but I'm sure they're not making their O-rings back in their garage, i.e. they're getting their O-rings from the same 2 or 3 Chinese factories that the rest of the world's O-rings come from, made with genuine Chinese slave laborers.   🙄😒

As much as I hate doing stuff twice (heck, I even hate doing stuff ONCE; I'm just a lazy son-of-a-gun), I'll probably try the Grip puppies and the rings, see what works best.  (Hmmm, once side O-rings, the other side Grip puppies, now that would be a REAL comparison, and funky, too.  🤣🤣🤣).

I used Grip Puppy on my '11 R1200RT and have used them on other motorcycles that I've owned.  Have big hands and the small diameter of the BMW grips wasn't comfortable for me, plus I have carpal tunnel syndrome.  The Grip Puppy grips make the grips just the right size for me and help to dampen any vibration.  Don't care if they get wet - if it's raining I'm gonna be wearing waterproof gloves anyway.  Don't believe that they in anyway interfere with what I feel about the control of the motorcycle.  Bought these from ebay and are a perfect fit - used Dawn liquid and some hairspray to slide them on w/o any problem.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/123882339748?fits=Year%3A2005|Make%3ABMW&hash=item1cd7f67da4:g:u8IAAOSwdudbkcjJ

Ed W.

Kerrville, TX

• 2 weeks later...

I decided that I just preferred replacing the OEM grips for now, with other alterations available as my riding experience dictates.

So, I purchased these, which appear to be quality clones of the OEM grips.

image.thumb.jpeg.f3bedc03ed65c4996d214ea37401e104.jpeg

Ever the careful and observant mechanic, when I got these things and compared them to the originals, I discovered a problem.  White the right side (accelerator) grips look about the same as these Italian clones, the left side grip is an off-center oval, related to the bar and wonderwheel.  See arrows.

Has anyone actually replaced a Wethead clutch grip with a standard, circular shaped, inside hand grip base?  I'm guessing the ones I just bought won't fit.

image.thumb.jpeg.62cf9ef6365649c65a667b76ea80e01a.jpeg

8 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

I decided that I just preferred replacing the OEM grips for now, with other alterations available as my riding experience dictates.

So, I purchased these, which appear to be quality clones of the OEM grips.

Ever the careful and observant mechanic, when I got these things and compared them to the originals, I discovered a problem.  White the right side (accelerator) grips look about the same as these Italian clones, the left side grip is an off-center oval, related to the bar and wonderwheel.  See arrows.

Has anyone actually replaced a Wethead clutch grip with a standard, circular shaped, inside hand grip base?  I'm guessing the ones I just bought won't fit.

Morning Scott

Well the new L/H side won't fit correctly but with some trial & possibly some sanding your new replacement might work. 

It probably won't completely fill the offset wonder wheel recess but it looks like there is enough smooth gray area in the wonder wheel recess to not show ugly wires or pockets.

You might remove the L/H grip retaining bolt, then unplug the heated grip connector, then slide the old grip assembly off the bar. 

Then use electrical tape or masking tape to wrap the bar end out near the outer end & close to the wonder wheel to increase bar diameter (so the new grip will just smoothly slide on over the tape & remain centered on the bar). Then slide your replacement grip on over the tape wrap to see how it will fit & look in relation to the wonder wheel recess. 

This will allow you to see how it will fit & what if any rubber needs to be sanded away to allow it to neatly enter the wonder wheel recess.  

If you can make it look presentable (when slid over the centering tape wrap), THEN you can cut the old grip off of the heating element then reinstall the inner grip tube & reinstall the bolt. Then you can glue the new replacement grip onto the inner tube & rotate it to fit best possible.   

grip.jpg

Scott__

More.

Are you sure that you don't have a proper fitting grip in what you bought? 

I just went to the Ariete web site & they do show a proper elliptical grip offered.  (check it out)  https://www.ariete.com/product/ariete-bmw-grips-02624/

Looks like Amazon might have them also (I think anyhow)    https://www.amazon.com/121mm-Grips-Motorcycles-Heated-Multi-Controller/dp/B01MYE5J1Q

oval grip.jpg

• Plus 1 1
10 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Scott__

More.

Are you sure that you don't have a proper fitting grip in what you bought? 

I just went to the Ariete web site & they do show a proper elliptical grip offered.  (check it out)  https://www.ariete.com/product/ariete-bmw-grips-02624/

Looks like Amazon might have them also (I think anyhow)    https://www.amazon.com/121mm-Grips-Motorcycles-Heated-Multi-Controller/dp/B01MYE5J1Q

oval grip.jpg

Hmmmm, that grip looks a lot more like I expected it to look.  I was looking at a half dozen ads, and it looks like I chose poorly.  That's for the backup, D.R..

Just FYI, in case some folks like the older style grips, they Ariete also makes these for the same mult-controller handlebars (P/N: 01690/F24N)

image.png.7b5490fbe456d67dbed57feebc967061.png

• 3 weeks later...

I added Grip Puppies to both my '16 RT and my '18 GS.  They work like a champ and not only make the grip fatter but calm any vibes you may get.  Heated grips work fine with them and they see to last well.  Have 45K on my '16 RT and 18K on my 2018 GS.   Oh .... they come with a 5 year warranty too so I figure after 5 years I can afford a new set.  But so far they are still in great shape.  You can trim them to fit and unlike the Grip BUDDIES these have no annoying seam. 

Geekmaster
On 7/3/2022 at 7:34 PM, RTinNC said:

unlike the Grip BUDDIES these have no annoying seam. 

When installed properly, the seam on the Grip Buddies is neither readily visible nor annoying.

• 2 months later...

Scott, did you buy AND install the Ariete grips?  I bought the old style ribbed grips P/N: 01690/F24N  but have not installed yet.

Just checking that Arietes fit before stripping off the old grips

• 1 month later...

Thanks, 9M7

Did you install them on an RT?  I ask because my independent m/c mechanic said he did not want to install them because of the heating element.  However, I've seen a vid that shows how to carefully cut the old one away

Just checking so I don't make a mess of things

5 hours ago, BendBill said:

Did you install them on an RT?

I installed them on my 05 ST that is equipped with factory heated grips same as my RT. Just have to take your time and be careful.:thumbsup:

The other time wasn't a bike with heated grips and the install was easy.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

realshelby, do you recall the size of the O-rings?  I know I can measure them, but I'm confident I'll botch even that simple operation.  ALSO,  did you stay with the standard compound?  TIA

*And an advisory to others--Ariete WILL not work on 2014 and later models because the heating element is integrated with the grip.  

1 hour ago, BendBill said:

realshelby, do you recall the size of the O-rings?  I know I can measure them, but I'm confident I'll botch even that simple operation.  ALSO,  did you stay with the standard compound?  TIA

*And an advisory to others--Ariete WILL not work on 2014 and later models because the heating element is integrated with the grip.  

https://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/Products/

• Thanks 1

I really liked my old oilhead grips. Then I traded for a 2017, and after living with the little grips for a while decided that I needed to do something about it. The Grip Puppies were an easy, cheap, and effective solution for me. But I can understand how an aggressive rider (which is not me) might want something a little less squishy.

On 12/3/2022 at 4:03 AM, RTinNC said:

Cycle WERKEs is a good guy. He is the one that I bought the first couple sets of o-rings for grips from. He still lists these at $20 per set. He was trying to retire years ago....anyway I know he bought a gross of these and maybe that is why he still has that price? They are about $0.50 each now! I sent Bill a link to the ones I use:

https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_150_153&products_id=6607

Need somewhere around 30 for each side. Buy more as you will want them on other bikes. Tip....wash them with wax/grease remover before installing or your hands will be rather dirty!

3 hours ago, realshelby said:

Cycle WERKEs is a good guy. He is the one that I bought the first couple sets of o-rings for grips from. He still lists these at $20 per set. He was trying to retire years ago....anyway I know he bought a gross of these and maybe that is why he still has that price? They are about $0.50 each now! I sent Bill a link to the ones I use:

https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_150_153&products_id=6607

Need somewhere around 30 for each side. Buy more as you will want them on other bikes. Tip....wash them with wax/grease remover before installing or your hands will be rather dirty!

$20 sounds is a good deal since Cycle Werks has done all the work finding the right size and packaging them up. 

I have bought from him quite a bit especially when he used to attend the MOA National Rally.   Good guys and another small American business supporting our sport. ! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, old_farmer said:

I really liked my old oilhead grips. Then I traded for a 2017, and after living with the little grips for a while decided that I needed to do something about it. The Grip Puppies were an easy, cheap, and effective solution for me. But I can understand how an aggressive rider (which is not me) might want something a little less squishy.

+1 for sure on Grip Puppies!  They are the original deal and come with a 5 year warranty!   And usually a bargain price.   Have had them on both bikes now for over 2 years and still look good.  I have never had an issue with rain and the heated grip heat come right through them. 

Ed and Terry,

Thanks for your discussion and good timing.  I was able to cancel my weekend order with the O-ring store and place order with Cycle Werks--prolly saved  $20+

BTW--excellent phone service by Cycle Werks

• Like 1