IGNORED

Umberto Luce Footwear

JamesW

Just received my pair of riding boots made by Umberto Luce in Leon Mexico.  I read an article by the Editor In Chief of Rider magazine May '22 edition that described this incredible footwear and it is all true.  Took a month from the time I placed my order and it was well worth the $329 which also included shipping.  Most fantastic motorcycle footwear I've ever experienced.  Many thanks to Rider EIC Greg Drevenstedt for his insight.  I might also mention that since Greg became EIC Rider has made giant strides forward and is beginning to remind me of the Rider magazine of many years ago.

If you go back to their website and find the pix of the crimson Moto boots that the ones I got and the ones described in Rider magazine.  What it doesn't show is the zipper that runs down the side.  So, you unlace the boot and slip it on your foot with the zipper closed then lace up the boot.  Then all you do is use the zipper to put on or take off the boot.  Talk about comfortable and a perfect fit between your right and left foot.  Hope this makes sense as it's hard to describe.

You made me look at the site after your review. Seems a quality product, definitely good looking, and currently discounted pricing going on, really good prices. I hate buying without trying them on, but might have the order up a set. I've never done to Moto shoe thing, always boots, but now I'm intrigued.

What is really nice the lower part of my right leg above the ankle is slightly larger in circumference than my left leg.  So, by zipping the boots all the way and then lacing them up it's like having a custom fit for each foot/leg which is most comfortable and then just unzip and zip no need to touch the laces.  Hope this makes sense to you.  The workmanship quality is just primo.  These guys are true craftsmen in every way. Thank you so much Rider Magazine.:clap:

My style of work boot, zippers are good for the 3AM quick calls, too. :cuz:  :burnout:Looks like you have some nice craftsmanship there and it’s nice supporting (assuming) a smaller company. 

image.jpeg.0279e2e4e77f82d59d725fdc38f0b7e6.jpeg

Like so many manufacturers, they size for foot length but provide no variations in width.  Which is stupid, since even their instructions for determining the correct size includes measuring width.  That's a shame since I like their laces and zip design, and options in sole types.

Harley Merchandise has been making tie/zip boots for years.  It's what I wear.  I don't remember the exact model, but very close to these.  Mine have vibram soles which give you great traction.

Men's Gilford 7" Lace Riding Boot - 98610-23VM | Harley-Davidson USA

Some of the Harley Boots are waterproof and some are not.  Mine look very plain.  No glaring Harley advertising.

Those Umbertos look great.

szurszewski
1 hour ago, lkraus said:

Like so many manufacturers, they size for foot length but provide no variations in width.  Which is stupid, since even their instructions for determining the correct size includes measuring width.  That's a shame since I like their laces and zip design, and options in sole types.

If you’re really interested, why not send them an email? Maybe they are great at cobbling but not so great at listing options on their website. 

ETA: on that “find my size” page it sounds like you found, right under the directions, they have an email address that says to contact them with any special sizing needs. If you really want them and need a non-standard width, I think you’re in. They talk about how they only make the boots to demand and don’t really make/keep stock, so….

• Like 1

To quote from the Rider description:  "Protective features include CE-certified D30 ankle protection, secure lock stitching, and a frontal impact - protection cap toe.  Part of what makes them so comfortable is a flexible, durable sole made from a stack of leather, EVA (ethylene - vinyl acetate) and an anti-slip vulcanized rubber with lugged tread".

For me this ant - slip feature of the tread is most important.  I have a back disc in my lower back and sitting up right or leaned back with my legs out front (Harley) doesn't work.  So on both my bikes I have the seat in the highest position so this makes my legs a little short for flat footing when stopped especially on the BMW and means that I need super good traction to avoid a tip - over.  Also, I realize that it would be best to not have the heel and sole extend much beyond the boot edge but I need all the sole/heal in contact with the ground that I can get.  This and my advanced years (almost 79) means I need all the proper support I can get because I don't ever want to give up riding not if I can help it and I think these boots can help.  

• 2 weeks later...

Have taken a few rides in between rain events and these Umberto Luce boots are the cats a@@ no doubt and one of the best ride quality improvements for my motorcycles I have made right up there with the Russell seats.  The traction is phenomenal and you just can't beat the comfort.  The heel and soul thickness makes it possible for me to raise the seat on the RSL to the high position which is great for my bad lower back issue.  I would buy them again in a minute. 

• Like 2
Brodiepunker18

If I didn’t already have several pairs of riding shoes/boots I definitely would look into a pair. Those are very good looking. I’ll keep them in mind. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

After reading this post, I decided to order. These are a pair of their m.c. tennis shoes. I must say that so far, the hype is true. Extremely comfortable and the quality seems to be top notch. It took 6 weeks to receive them, which I would assume isn’t bad for a custom made shoe.Though I don’t have a lot of wear time yet, I’m sure it’s safe to say these are a true winner. Just a happy customer 

3F5FA8C9-AF95-40D4-A3A8-8A1B1EE0E3C1.jpeg

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Couldn't they have put an L and R on them?

I bet they could, they put his name on them. :thumbsup: I’d sill need to use the L trick though. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1