IGNORED

Opinel No. 08 Folding Knife Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Opinel No. 08 Folding Knife Review intro

Opulence on the Go with Opinel No. 08

The Opinel company has been manufacturing simple folding knives at their headquarters in Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne, Savoie, France, since 1890. Founded by Joseph Opinel, the company has remained a family run business for the past 132 years, and has become emblematic of French culture in the process. Now, over a century later, what began as a simple beechwood wood handle with a high carbon XC90 steel blade has evolved ever-so-slightly over the years.

In 1897, a series of twelve sizes (numbered 1 through 12) was released; in 1955, Marcel Opinel introduced the Virobloc or safety twistlock mechanism, which is still being used today. Often referred to as a peasant's knife or penny knife, the Opinel No. 08 was the first model produced by Joseph Opinel and remains much the same as it did in 1890. The beechwood handle means the No. 08 is lightweight (1.6 oz.), while the high-carbon and stainless-steel blade is strong enough many cutting tasks.

Opinel No8 Knife Review 1

I've carried one in my camping kit for years, as it makes a perfect fruit and cheese companion, but can also be used to cut a steak cooked on a campfire. On motorcycle trips, it’s an easy tool to throw in my tank bag or even zip into one of my riding pants pockets for quick access. The Virobloc mechanism keeps the blade from folding closed unintentionally and was updated in 2000 to also keep the blade locked in place when the knife is folded closed. And when a meal is in order—whether impromptu or planned, my Opinel can manage most of the slicing and chopping chores, and sometimes even stirring duty.

The Opinel No. 08 is simple by design, using only five components—the handle, the blade, the pivot or axle, the metal collar and the locking ring. It's 8.5-cm blade is the perfect length for everyday uses, while still remaining small enough to fit in your pocket. It's the most popular size in the Opinel line, and for good reason. So, if you're shopping for some fresh campfire cutlery for your next adventure, the No. 08 is a simple solution to a simple problem. 

Opinel-usa.com

MSRP: $19

Where to Buy:  Amazon btn

PROS:

• At $19, it’s hard to say no
  • Weighing only 1.6 oz., the super-light folding knife is barely noticeable in your pocket or bag
  • The carbon steel blade is extraordinarily sharp and holds its edge for a long time
  • Easy to sharpen
  • It’s a handsome piece which looks great on a dining table and beside a campfire
  • Made in the same town since 1890; family owned

CONS:

• It has to be opened with two hands
  • The lock is manual and needs to be properly set for the blade to stay in place
  • No hole for lanyard in this iteration, although there are now a variety of knives in the Opinel family with more carry options
  • The blade might be super sharp, but it’s thin and can bend under too much pressure

View the full article