IGNORED

Accessories Locking problems

Randyjaco

I am having problems with the Locking system on 17 RT. The left saddle bag and now the left glove box will not lock. They will lock with the key. Other than the Locking problems everything  works  as designed. 

In the past I was able to glue some extensions to the bike's Locking piston on the saddlebag. But that is a temporary solution.  Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? 

TIA
Randy 
  • Like 1

Are you saying you have a broken locking mechanism that needs to be replaced, or did I miss the point of your request???

No, the locks work fine. It's the total automatic locking system where the problem exists. On the saddlebag mount there is a piston that  forces the bag to lock when the system is on. There is not enough travel of the left piston to cause the saddlebag to lock. I  presume that the glove box has a similar mechanism. Currently the problem is only on the left side. 

I am trying to determine if there is a means to adjust the travel distance of the piston or if there is some sort of hack that will make it work. 

My bike didn't come with CL, so I installed all the items necessary to get it done.  There is no adjustment.  The plunger just screws on.

Maybe if there was some dirt on the mechanism, it could interfere with it.  But having both go out at the same time is suspicious.

Well, partial success. I figured out a way to make the piston height adjustable. I drilled and tapped the piston for a M3.5 screw and was able to get the optimum piston height.

Now I have to figure out a similar solution for the glove box. But that's going to require the removal of lots of Tupperware :4607:

Adjustable saddlebag locking piston hack.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Randyjaco said:

Now I have to figure out a similar solution for the glove box. But that's going to require the removal of lots of Tupperware

Just the side panel.  Then disconnect the power to the actuator.  Remove screw in cubby.  That should be it.

My 15 RT left bag did the same the entire time I owned it.  Never did resolve it. 

Sometimes it would go right on and work perfect, the next after a wash and it would not. 

I had to jiggle and rock and hold my tongue just right and it would work. 

When I traded it in in 18 it still did not work 100% of the time and the dealer knew it.   I went back in a few days later and they had my old bike in and fussing with the saddle bag.  They indicated they knew what the issue was and had a fix but I never asked or stuck around for it. 

I have seen a few other's over time post with the left bag having the same problems. 

It looks like you are onto a solution though.

I found the problem with the glove box lock. The idiot that last put the Tupperware back on ( Me) forgot to connect the plug  to the glove box :4331:

Thanks for the replies 

Don’t feel too bad; I did similar last winter. Plugged in my heated vest on a long ride and nothing. It’s amazing how much better it worked when I plugged the socket back in

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Randyjaco said:

I found the problem with the glove box lock. The idiot that last put the Tupperware back on ( Me) forgot to connect the plug  to the glove box :4331:

Thanks for the replies 

Don't fret.  Not only have I forgotten that plug, I forgot to plug in the power port up front once as well.  Power doesn't run well to charge your phone without that plug.

• Like 1