IGNORED

Throttle Body Removal

Rotor

What is the name of the tool used to remove the throttle body clamps?  I plan on replacing the throttle cams and don't know the name of the tool I need to purchase.

Thanks in advance.

27 minutes ago, Rotor said:

What is the name of the tool used to remove the throttle body clamps?  I plan on replacing the throttle cams and don't know the name of the tool I need to purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Afternoon John

Those things have a number of names, I just use (low profile cv boot clamp pliers) as the clamp rings are pretty well the same as low profile cv boot clamps.

You might not have to buy them as a LOT of auto parts stores will rent or loan (low profile cv boot clamp pliers). 

Another name they go by is__   ( Oetiker Earless Low Profile Clamp Pliers)

Just make sure they are for earless or low profile type clamps.

c3mBAI7.jpg

Again, I’m planning to remove/inspect and replace, if necessary, the throttle body cams on my bike.  Not expecting any issues, I still looked up a video on removing them.  Generally, I’m not one to criticize but this person made a number of mistakes up-to and including cutting the throttle cable to get the Throttle body free. 

The only question I have about this video is why wouldn’t the end of the throttle cable pass through the guide/adjustment hole?  Or will it and he just didn’t understand how to do it?  My logic is that if you can’t get the old one out you can’t get a new one in and that makes no sense to me.  Or, should I even be concerned?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob7vJVUBS4E  Just trying to be prepared.

23 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Again, I’m planning to remove/inspect and replace, if necessary, the throttle body cams on my bike.  Not expecting any issues, I still looked up a video on removing them.  Generally, I’m not one to criticize but this person made a number of mistakes up-to and including cutting the throttle cable to get the Throttle body free. 

The only question I have about this video is why wouldn’t the end of the throttle cable pass through the guide/adjustment hole?  Or will it and he just didn’t understand how to do it?  My logic is that if you can’t get the old one out you can’t get a new one in and that makes no sense to me.  Or, should I even be concerned?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob7vJVUBS4E  Just trying to be prepared.

Afternoon John

The cable (with end barrel) will pull right out, but only if you pull it with the cable adjuster still attached to the cable.  There is a clip that holds the adjuster in the TB (it should be pretty clear when you look at your throttle body)

JKvgPSC.jpg

It's pretty clear that he has never done this before, and is just making up the dialog as he goes along.

He points directly at a Phillips head screw and says "That looks like a big, fat, flat head," and proceeds to remove it with a small flat head.

He pulls the idle stepper and calls it a sensor.  

Since he has no plan to put the throttle body back together, he can take it apart with whatever tools of destruction are handy.

I think he writes for the BMWMOA magazine, puts out a podcast (or two), and works at a dealer, but he is NOT a mechanic or even much of a shade tree mechanic. BMWMOA should be ashamed that this video carries their name.

The requirements to put a video on YouTube are pretty low, basically a phone and a pulse.  Don't rely on anything you see in only a single video.

• Smile 1

Evening John 

Personally, I never watch any of those darn posted videos as most are useless.

But after seeing Larry's post I thought I better see what you saw--

So DO NOT follow that video & loosen the adjuster nut or adjuster barrel   (that will cost you a LOT of extra work).

The adjuster (& cable) will pull out without loosening or moving ANY adjustments.    

• Thanks 1

Not to worry gentlemen.  I was painfully aware of his errors.  When I was watching I was saying to myself, please don't do that!  But it was like watching something you knew was going bad but you just cant resist.  I did want to know why the cable wouldn't come out though.  Really, that was all I was concerned about.

Thanks again.

4 hours ago, Rotor said:

Again, I’m planning to remove/inspect and replace, if necessary, the throttle body cams on my bike. 

I had 5 for 5 that needed replacing. You can count on it.

On 5/30/2022 at 8:38 PM, KDeline said:

Well, that makes me feel so much better...not.  Thanks for the reply though!

On 5/30/2022 at 8:38 PM, KDeline said:

Both sides cracked.  Right side cracked in three places and one gap large enough to see metal through it.  Damn...  :cry:  :money:

14 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Both sides cracked.  Right side cracked in three places and one gap large enough to see metal through it.  Damn...  :cry:  :money:

Afternoon John

If they weren't cracked now they probably would be by the next time you checked so might as well get them done & behind you.  

16 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon John

If they weren't cracked now they probably would be by the next time you checked so might as well get them done & behind you.  

I hear ya.  I don't like it, but I hear ya.

5 hours ago, Rotor said:

You are actually lucky. On mine, four of the 10 cams separated as they were pulled apart. The fifth left me stranded when it let go. Now that I think about it, I sold a bike to a friend years ago, warned him of the problem, sure enough..... So it really is six for six cycles now. Thank you BMW, plastic for a stressed critical part. Really?????

THROTTle body.jpg

• Like 1

KDeline,

Lucky…  I guess so, in that I found it before it left me stranded.  I agree with your BMW assessment and it’s obvious you’ve had your share of needed repairs.  It’s sad knowing that a purchase within these model years also comes with an almost certain pending failure.  Regardless, the bike fits me better than any other and because of that (along with several other reasons) I tolerate its necessary upgrades - for now.