IGNORED

Best way to lower 2017 R1200RT

Calugo

My riding buddy just bought a used 2017 R1200RT and he's vertically challenged so he needs to lower the bike an inch or so, so he can flatfoot the bike. He already had some foam cut out of the seat and replaced with a gel pad but he still needs the bike lowed a little more. Suggestions?

+1 on Ted Porter

Alternatively, your riding friend could hope that  platform shoes make a come back….just kidding. On a serious note, when I replaced the OEM saddle with a Russell Day Long, I went from flat foot to heels just off the ground.  I bought a pair of nothing fancy work boots with a thicker sole and heel (designed for all day on your feet on a reinforced cement shop floor) which fixed it. A $70 bucks out the door simple solution.

9 hours ago, Calugo said:

My riding buddy just bought a used 2017 R1200RT and he's vertically challenged so he needs to lower the bike an inch or so, so he can flatfoot the bike. He already had some foam cut out of the seat and replaced with a gel pad but he still needs the bike lowed a little more. Suggestions?

Afternoon Calugo

Unless he can go a bit lower on the seat (narrower is even better) then he is in for either expensive work or has to make himself taller.  Lowering a motorcycle an inch (below it's normal lowest) gets real close, or usually does, require not only expensive suspension lowering but also shortening the side stand & center stand.

I have a riding friend that is just a bit too short in the inseam to flatfoot most late model BMW bikes. 

Like your friend he is needing about 1" to feel comfortable, I keep telling him to just learn to ride without flatfooting as I know shorter riders than him that have no problems even on much taller GS bikes  (they just learned to deal with it)

Anyhow, my friend usually gets the lower seat option or has his seat modified but that still leaves him a little short to feel comfortable. 

He wanted me to lower his bike (he gets a new one every couple of years so it would be an ongoing deal for me), I finally talked him into trying thicker sole higher heel riding boots  (that actually did the trick for him).

His boots are very similar to these riding boots __ 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/daytona-m-star-gtx-boots?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=8981957&PublisherName=Crownet&cjevent=8a727e9edf8b11ec804d04950a82b832&cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww

The ones above say 2.5 CM (that is 25mm or about 1"). 

That is a lot of money but they should work on most any motorcycle that he rides (even rentals) & the ones my friend has have lasted him a long time now). But they are not exactly the same as the ones listed above (look similar). The above link is just for reference on height extending riding boots.

Now the only thing that I need to deal with when he gets a new motorcycle is moving the shift lever so the thicker boots allow him to shift it to his liking  (I tried to talk him into using the side of the boot sole for upshifts  but he is a stubborn old devil)

LittleBriar

+1 On the Daytona boots. They are comfortable, waterproof and expensive but cheaper than lowering the bike.

19 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Calugo

Unless he can go a bit lower on the seat (narrower is even better) then he is in for either expensive work or has to make himself taller.  Lowering a motorcycle an inch (below it's normal lowest) gets real close, or usually does, require not only expensive suspension lowering but also shortening the side stand & center stand.

I have a riding friend that is just a bit too short in the inseam to flatfoot most late model BMW bikes. 

Like your friend he is needing about 1" to feel comfortable, I keep telling him to just learn to ride without flatfooting as I know shorter riders than him that have no problems even on much taller GS bikes  (they just learned to deal with it)

Anyhow, my friend usually gets the lower seat option or has his seat modified but that still leaves him a little short to feel comfortable. 

He wanted me to lower his bike (he gets a new one every couple of years so it would be an ongoing deal for me), I finally talked him into trying thicker sole higher heel riding boots  (that actually did the trick for him).

His boots are very similar to these riding boots __ 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/daytona-m-star-gtx-boots?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=8981957&PublisherName=Crownet&cjevent=8a727e9edf8b11ec804d04950a82b832&cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww

The ones above say 2.5 CM (that is 25mm or about 1"). 

That is a lot of money but they should work on most any motorcycle that he rides (even rentals) & the ones my friend has have lasted him a long time now). But they are not exactly the same as the ones listed above (look similar). The above link is just for reference on height extending riding boots.

Now the only thing that I need to deal with when he gets a new motorcycle is moving the shift lever so the thicker boots allow him to shift it to his liking  (I tried to talk him into using the side of the boot sole for upshifts  but he is a stubborn old devil)

Thanks... I sent my friend a picture of the boots and hopefully he'll buy a pair.

19 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Rob Nowell
22 hours ago, Paul De said:

+1 on Ted Porter

Alternatively, your riding friend could hope that  platform shoes make a come back….just kidding. On a serious note, when I replaced the OEM saddle with a Russell Day Long, I went from flat foot to heels just off the ground.  I bought a pair of nothing fancy work boots with a thicker sole and heel (designed for all day on your feet on a reinforced cement shop floor) which fixed it. A $70 bucks out the door simple solution.

No joke; one of our guys had a shoesmith put some extra some on the bottom of his boots, and it was better!

Geekmaster

I echo @dirtrider in encouraging your buddy to learn to ride without flatfooting (videos, training, etc.).  Can he at least touch with 2 feet (not flatfooted)?  I'm only about 5' 7" and have the low version of the Sargent seat set to the low position, but I still cannot flatfoot both feet with my riding boots on.  However, I've learned that it's not necessary to flatfoot for comfortable riding.  At stops, I generally put my left foot down and keep my right foot on the peg.  That way, I can easily flatfoot my left foot.  Occasionally, I'll have both feet (toes) down, which is more than sufficient to balance the bike at stops.  If the RT starts to lean one direction, then that side immediately is flatfooted and gets full support.  

I truly thought that I would need to flatfoot this big bike (compared to my previous Yamaha FZ6R), but I've found it is simply not necessary with experience, practice, and training.

I hope your riding buddy gets comfortable soon (either with an even lower setup, or more confidence)! 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Geekmaster said:

I echo @dirtrider in encouraging your buddy to learn to ride without flatfooting (videos, training, etc.).  Can he at least touch with 2 feet (not flatfooted)?  I'm only about 5' 7" and have the low version of the Sargent seat set to the low position, but I still cannot flatfoot both feet with my riding boots on.  However, I've learned that it's not necessary to flatfoot for comfortable riding.  At stops, I generally put my left foot down and keep my right foot on the peg.  That way, I can easily flatfoot my left foot.  Occasionally, I'll have both feet (toes) down, which is more than sufficient to balance the bike at stops.  If the RT starts to lean one direction, then that side immediately is flatfooted and gets full support.  

I truly thought that I would need to flatfoot this big bike (compared to my previous Yamaha FZ6R), but I've found it is simply not necessary with experience, practice, and training.

I hope your riding buddy gets comfortable soon (either with an even lower setup, or more confidence)! 

I agree on all counts. Flat footing both feet on a motorcycle just isn't necessary and insistence on lowering bikes messes up seats, suspensions, and handling. Riders that insist on a short reach to the ground are limiting themselves to a subset of motorcycles. I am 5' 6" with a 29" inseam. One foot at a time or both sets of toes is all that is necessary plus a critical eye on where and how to stop.

• Like 2

I have the same height and inseam, the RT was a bit (a lot) tall, but I made due. It helps that it weighs about 600 pounds, I'm used to my 900 pound Harley, which I can also not flatfoot, so the RT was not bad on tiptoes.

The only bike I've been able to flatfoot was my old Harley Softail. All the rest have been balls of my feet at best.

13 hours ago, Geekmaster said:

Yes he can get both feet on the ground and has been leaning the bike to the left when at a stop, he may have to go the route of just getting used to not flat footing the bike since that would be the easiest and cheapest solution. Thanks

If your riding friend can put both feet with toes down it is probably the better way to support the bike at rest as it keeps the bike balanced over its tires. A 600 lb motorcycle leaned enough past the balance point won't be stopped with one leg flat footed, unless your friend has legs like a dead lift champion.

• 4 weeks later...

Many people ride motorcycles they can't flat foot.

One foot on a peg and the other on the ground has worked for me for 30 years of riding without incident.  That's a better option than a less comfortable seat or changing suspension that was purpose built by the OEM.

I'm a one toe, one cheek kinda guy (really two stretched toes), most stop lights, the bikes are leaned slightly/moderately to the left.  Haven't been able to flat foot a BMW bike I've owned and one is factory lowered.  Have your buddy cope with it, not too difficult a thing to do.

Like this guy

And this lady