IGNORED

Trouble on Valve adjustment

PeterSonic

PeterSonic

I have a new to me, 2018 1200RT which I purchased last year with only 22K Km on it.  The 20K service was done at the dealer a few months before I bought it.  Fast forward, I did the oil change and inspection at 30K Km.  Now at almost 40K Km, I did the spline lube and FD service last week and everything was good.  Yesterday, started doing oil change, air filter, plugs, and valve adjustment.  On the left cylinder, exhaust valves are in spec, however the intakes are only .04mm.  Measured the shims and they were 2.30 and 2.24mm.  So, according to my calculation, I would need a 1.24 and a 1.30 shim to bring it up to mid range of .15.  Trouble is the smallest shim is a 1.72. The right hand cylinder was all in spec.  Am I missing something here?  I think I have trouble.

Are you are sure your TDC on that side? 

Are the stamps on the end of the cams that look like a QR code top and bottom?

I have made the mistake even with a TDC tool having it lock in on TDC on the other side, and while the lobes look to be close on the side your working, those stamps are inside aligned with each other, and not outside top and bottom.

I think you math is off a decimal place. You need 0.09mm to 0.10mm of more clearance.   So your shims should be 2.21mm and 2.15mm for the replacements.

• Plus 1 1
13 minutes ago, LAF said:

Are you are sure your TDC on that side? 

Are the stamps on the end of the cams that look like a QR code top and bottom?

I have made the mistake even with a TDC tool having it lock in on TDC on the other side, and while the lobes look to be close on the side your working, those stamps are inside aligned with each other, and not outside top and bottom.

If he was off a full rotation and the cams were on the lobes and had 0.04mm of clearance he would have a dead cylinder.  

• Plus 1 1
5 minutes ago, TSConver said:

I think you math is off a decimal place. You need 0.09mm to 0.10mm of more clearance.   So your shims should be 2.21mm and 2.15mm for the replacements.

Oldrider51

I think the formula is: measured clearance - desired clearance + existing shim thickness, so 0.04 mm (measured clearance) - .135mm (desired clearance) + shim thickness (2.30 mm or 2.24mm) would give 2.205 (2.21mm) and 2.145 (2.14 or 2.15mm). Check out online the youtube videos by Boxflyer for the 20000 km service parts 4 and 5 think. These calcs

are also assuming that the inlet clearance should be between 0.10 mm and 0.17 mm as my 16 RS. Boxflyer came out later and recommended a setting of 0.12 mm for the intakes instead of the midpoint. Good luck.

Yes, my revised target valve clearances are now 0.12mm for the intake and 0.36mm for the exhaust...rather than the arbitrary mathematical middle of the range.  That being 0.10-0.17mm for the intake and 0.34-0.41mm exhaust that used to be my middle of 0.135mm intake and 0.375mm for the exhaust.

This makes for a little quieter running valve train in my opinion.

R1200/1250 WetHead/ShiftHead Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Worksheet

Blank%20R1200:1250%20WetHead:ShiftHead%2

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LAF said:

Never thought of that, but MM to hundredths can cause math mistakes.

I use a feeler gauge that I don't have to convert. 

@Boxflyer knows his stuff.  If he say 0.12mm then you would need a 2.22mm and 2.16mm shim.  Subtract 0.04 from 0.12 desired.  That gives 0.08mm too tight.  Since you are too tight subtract the 0.08 from your current shim thickness to get the new shim thickness. Get the kit off amazon.  Wiseco VSK4 Premium 8.90mm OD Valve Shim kit  It has 2.16 in it, then you can add 2.22 as individuals and have shims for future adjustments if needed or to help a buddy out.

PeterSonic

Well, appreciate all your comments, but I have to take the blame for my apparent problem.  When I was using the feeler gauges I reported that I had .04mm clearance, however this was not the case.  Because the feeler gauges were a bit oily, the .06mm feeler stuck to the .04 so in reality I had .1 gap.  After I discovered my error, figured out the shim size according to "old" spec and picked up the shims at the dealer.  I'll use Boxflyer's spec next time around.  Thanks for your help.