IGNORED

Warranties

BamaJohn

There are many stories of failure to honor product warranties, but I want to give credos to ILIUM WORKS for going the extra mile in backing up their products.  

In 2018, I bought and installed front and rear ILLIUM crash bars on my 2017 RT.  This past week, ILLIUM  sent me a new set of front bars due to the powder coating flaking off!  I was blown away at their quick reply to replace them, even though I had not asked for replacement.  I simply asked if others had experienced this issue, and John's reply was: "these are some ugly bars and are unacceptable...we're sending you new ones"

Particulars are:  

• My bike has never seen salted roads nor ocean water
  • No damage to the bars from my use
  • I had proof of purchase and photos included in my email to ILIUM

Would I buy ILIUM products again?...absolutely!

• Like 2
realshelby

Good on Illium. They still operate a different way from some. That is also why they....well let's just say they are not a discounted product and this kind of service is what you should expect and seem to get. 

I helped set up a powder coating line with two ovens, triple wash bays, and a line that could handle things over 24 feet long. We used it to coat our pallet rack and shelving products. 

I really like it for something like that. BUT...I absolutely hate it on anything like motorcycle parts, car parts for the most part. It is NOT nearly as chip resistant as properly applied paint products and it will not stand up outside as far as fading. Powder coating is environmentally friendly, and that is why it was/is promoted so much. Plus it cures (actually melts then rehardens) quickly. But paint technology has advanced a lot in the last few decades. 

If your PH isn't spot on in the wash phase of the application, or the material has surface rust or foreign coatings that might not be noticed, your powder will develop issues like this. Nothing to do with how or where it was used. 

Totally agree on customer service at ilium works.   I have front and rear crash drop bars and they work.  I even sourced a matching paint in the off-chance they come in contact with an abrasive surface.  If you know what I mean, and I think you do!

When I first bought the Shift Cam bike, I bought the case guards and waited from February to mid-April for John to finish R & D on the motor guards as he just bought his Shift Cam RT in February.   Every time I contacted them, they were more than helpful with upadates.

I even purchased their bar back risers and rented the tool to install them. 

I would purchase from them again, but so far I have not broken the drop guards even though I keep trying on occasion.   :whistle: