IGNORED

Hill Start Assist?

Twisties

I've turned it off.  Again, just learning the bike, but twice now when backing the bike the bloody thing has activated and I haven't been able to deactivate it except by starting forward.  The manual says you can deactivate by pressing the brake, but this hasn't worked for me.  I could see where I might want it on rough terrain.  On the street I really don't feel any need.

• Plus 1 1

I use it all the time.  It's one of my favorite features.  If it is activated, let off the front brake and then squeeze the front brake one more time and it should disengage.

39 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I use it all the time.  It's one of my favorite features.  If it is activated, let off the front brake and then squeeze the front brake one more time and it should disengage.

I'll try again.  Do you leave it on "auto" or "manual?"

Twisties...my bike is a 2014...I don't think it has an auto/manual.  To use it I just squeeze the front brake hard.  I do this every time before I get off the bike.  That way it doesn't move.  I also do it when stopped, getting gas, or on a hill.  I've become a hill-stop snob. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

I played with a bit, but I'll have to give it another try, as David suggests.  However, just like shift assist, I've tried it, it's OK, but I'm old school and just like to use the clutch and shift conventionally.  I already know how to handle dead starts on an incline, and hills.  Why would I need some more new fangled technology to solve problems I don't have (or at least, don't think I have)? 

What I REALLY need is "bike levitation assist", to help with the 600+ lbs of dead weight (well, there's more than that with my body and big head on the bike, but somethings are just impossible to fix).  🤣🤣🤣

I don't use it on pavement, but I love it on uphill stops on gravel.  It helps me avoid accelerating too quickly to get back onto blacktop

King Herald

I never even knew they had this on bikes nowadays. :jaw:

I had it on a hire car once, and thought it was just another gimmick, but after a few days with the car it turned out to be a pretty useful addition. 

3 hours ago, King Herald said:

I never even knew they had this on bikes nowadays. :jaw:

I had it on a hire car once, and thought it was just another gimmick, but after a few days with the car it turned out to be a pretty useful addition. 

Neither did I.  I didn't even know they had it on cars.

• Like 1
Dave_in_TX
20 hours ago, Twisties said:

I've turned it off.  Again, just learning the bike, but twice now when backing the bike the bloody thing has activated and I haven't been able to deactivate it except by starting forward.  The manual says you can deactivate by pressing the brake, but this hasn't worked for me.  I could see where I might want it on rough terrain.  On the street I really don't feel any need.

Pressing the brake to deactivate it has always worked for me. That said, I've only used hill  start assist once. After 50+ year of riding, I find not using it takes less coordination than using it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok, I set it to manual and did as David suggested and it is behaving properly.  It does take a good hard brake actuation.  Once to turn it on, again to turn it off.  I guess on manual I don't need worry about it turning on automatically, as it did before.  

Hope it works out for you. I’m sure you know but just in case… you can also just take off with it on, but it takes a good bit of rpm and clutch to get it o release. I prefer the method you just tried.