IGNORED

Sirius XM

waltroman

I bought a 2016 used BMW r1200rt and it has Sirius XM that is active (total surprise to me). Is there a way for me to verify the contract term is I do not have the information of the original owner?

alegerlotz

You should be able to call them and give them the radio ID.   The thing about it, though, is that the prior owner can cancel the subscription at any time at this point, so one day you might go out to your bike and it stops working.

The way I see it, your choices are to wait it out until it stops working, or call to set up the radio in your name/subscription plan now to ensure that it doesn't stop working.

Calling them will get you in touch (eventually) with someone from India. They will try to upsell you and they will charge you a new subscription fee. You can visit their web site and create an account and that might be quicker but it's been a long time since I initially signed up. 

I'd run it until it quits, then set up a new account. You could even do that on the road if out on a trip.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

It also depends on the PO's payment method for the subscription.  If it was monthly, well....you know how long that will last.  If they did annual payment, then it may be a while before they discover the CC charges and remember that they have to stop paying for the service.  :ohboy:

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

I have negotiated my contract down to five bucks a month

That is the going rate after you go through the yearly dance.

24 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

I have negotiated my contract down to five bucks a month.

Same here!  That is what I pay on each of my 3 vehicles. 

I have the absolutely strangest thing going on with my 2015 RT, which I bought used a bit over a year ago. At the time, the PO told me that the Sirius radio was still working, though he had NEVER paid a subscription for it! And in fact it did work.

But here's the strange part:  I fiddled a while with the audio system shortly after I bought it, setting up the presets. So for example, I had the two Stern channels, 50s, 60s, 70s music, Grateful Dead, and a few others. However, almost every time I take the bike out, which is about once every week or two (I have lots of bikes), the system goes through its "Updating" routine, and I lose another channel. At the moment, I think I have Grateful Dead and 70s on 7. Since of course I have never paid for a Sirius subscription on the bike, I can't complain about that.

Can anyone explain that one?

4 hours ago, cookie said:

I have the absolutely strangest thing going on with my 2015 RT, which I bought used a bit over a year ago. At the time, the PO told me that the Sirius radio was still working, though he had NEVER paid a subscription for it! And in fact it did work.

But here's the strange part:  I fiddled a while with the audio system shortly after I bought it, setting up the presets. So for example, I had the two Stern channels, 50s, 60s, 70s music, Grateful Dead, and a few others. However, almost every time I take the bike out, which is about once every week or two (I have lots of bikes), the system goes through its "Updating" routine, and I lose another channel. At the moment, I think I have Grateful Dead and 70s on 7. Since of course I have never paid for a Sirius subscription on the bike, I can't complain about that.

Not sure this explains it in your case BUT .... Sirius XM had a deal a few years back when they wanted to get users locked in and offered a lifetime subscription deal.  Not sure what the cost was but my understanding is that it was pretty cheap.  BUT ... I also believe that lifetime subscription was for a specific vehicle.  So that might explain why you appear to have "free" service.  It does not explain the odd channel stuff. 

I do know the lifetime was available for 2016, I hesitate to call and upset the applecart and possibly flag the account. I would never pay for XM but news on long rides keeps me awake.

1 hour ago, waltroman said:

I do know the lifetime was available for 2016, I hesitate to call and upset the applecart and possibly flag the account. I would never pay for XM but news on long rides keeps me awake.

Yep ... I agree!   Don't try and fix what ain't broke. 

Rob Nowell
14 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Same here!  That is what I pay on each of my 3 vehicles. 

ditto

• 1 month later...

Wow:  I had a '17 RT with Sirius.   The sound was so bad on it I didn't even consider renewing it.    I used tp pair my phone to the bike and pair my helmet to the bike.  Crap sound on music stored in my phone but even worse for Sirius.    I tried just pairing the helmet bluetooth to my iphone.   The quality was much better.  I can use verbal commands to adjust volume; music off-on; and skip tracks...so I'm happy.   Also if the phone rings, I just say "Answer and I'm talking with whoever called me.   Still trying to figure out how to make calls with this system...That's the one thing that seems to work better with a screen.   Usually, I just pull over to make calls.   Safer, I think.   

If you're not happy with the quality of your sound, try just bypassing the bike and going BT direct to the phone.  

Frank Brown
On 5/27/2022 at 5:04 AM, cookie said:

They moved 50's & 60's to ch's 72 & 73........

• Thanks 1
Just now, Frank Brown said:

They moved 50's & 60's to ch's 72 & 73........

HA !! Thanks ... I have been looking for where "5" and "6" went !!