IGNORED

Speed limiters will become mandatory for cars in July, bikes next?

MotoNews

Morning____

I like it! Limit everybody's speed  except the few that figure out how to defeat it. Sounds like there will be some new business opportunities for a few tec savvy individuals.  

Me, I will be working on a speed-limit spoofer to make the vehicles around me think the speed limit is set at 25 mph, instant traffic back-up.  Just the push of a button & we get a parking lot.  

• Haha 1

Good morning,

That mandatory technology for all new cars is gonna make the used car market pretty appealing to some folks.  

Where there is better-for us technology, there will be opportunistic technology to defeat it,, as you mentioned, but what about supply chain issues?  :dontknow:

17 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Good morning,

That mandatory technology for all new cars is gonna make the used car market pretty appealing to some folks.  

Where there is better-for us technology, there will be opportunistic technology to defeat it,, as you mentioned, but what about supply chain issues?  :dontknow:

Morning William

Most cars & light trucks in the U.S. already have speed limiters  (top speed limited to tire speed rating)  so the speed limiting part is already in the vehicles electronics.

I'm not sure how the posted speed will be relayed to the vehicles so that part will probably depend on new electronic components & modules interface so those could be an issue with today's electronic parts supply shortages. 

By the time an area speed limiting mandate goes into effect in the US the electronic supply should be somewhat back to normal. 

But I do presume that $10.00+ for a gallon for fuel could be the most effective speed limiter.  

Good morning dirtrider,

When I drove a rental car in England (new Volvo 2018 model) the speedometer displayed the current speed limit and changed, accordingly, to the different zones.  I was especially impressed that it kept up with those variable speed electronic motorway signs, which change as conditions warrant.  Fairly accurate, as I have found.   Pretty cool.   

Of course, you already know that GPS devices in the states also display known speed limits, with varying degrees of accuracy 

We shall see how that plays out with older vehicles and speed differentials involving the newer ones.  

Plus one on your price of petrol comment.  I sort of wish it worked here as well, but Murica!

fourteenfour

my car relies on either GPS map location or what it can see, it does read speed limit signs very accurately. 

My last 3 cars have top speed limiters.  My Tahoe is (was) speed limited to 95.  That really isn't an issue for me as I usually drive 3-4 mph under the speed limit, but it pissed me off.  A youtube video and about a 15 minute job later....it's no longer speed limited.  I've only exceeded it once or twice when the speed limit is 85 on our long, flat, straight road for 300 miles and I wanted to get around some guy that was poking along.