IGNORED

Highway Footpegs - SO close, but .... nope

Scott9999

Just thought I'd pass the word on these.  They do fit my 2018 RT with Wunderlich (clone) crash bars, but at 6'2" tall, they don't allow full extension of my legs.  What's more, my hips are becoming more of a problem (along with  many other older joints) making some common movements difficult, like raising up over the side cases to mount the bike.  So, raising them up to put my feet on the pegs ...ahh... well, it's not gonna work.   I could only ride with these pegs if I had a back rest and bar backs to alter my riding position into cruiser territory, and that's not how I ride.   I'm not sure that any pegs will work for me, since the boxer's heads already have me spreading my legs (if I put them on forward pegs) more than my hips are comfortable with.   Add the highway pegs, and I'm pretty much doing a split V, which might have been comfortable 30 years ago, but not now.

I returned these, but am very impressed with their construction. For $60, they're quite a good bargain (particularly if you're 5'6" tall). 😏

Not trying to sell anything here, but they are about $270 less than Illium's fine product, so some of the cheap folks here (like me) might be interested.  (There are several different versions; I preferred these.)

Highway Pegs Footpegs Foot Rest and Mount Kit Compatible with Harley Road King Road Glide Street Glide Electra Glide Sportster Honda Yamaha Kawasaki 25mm 32mm 34mm (Styel C#Black)

image.png.f6e2c38389002b23bacb0aed009268a0.png

Mounted on my RT

image.thumb.jpeg.3ec476fe81a0d52fc6b7fb9b436c42f3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.70de09add889245ac8b0795f03e00a3e.jpeg

Stowed position.

image.thumb.jpeg.73084d127ffa103678a4c546175c5607.jpeg

Harley pegs? On a BMW? Blasphemy!

Aftermarket choices for BMW - some.

Aftermarket choices for Harley - thousands. And thousands.

Just now, Hosstage said:

Harley pegs? On a BMW? Blasphemy!

I have a set on my GS. Sometimes the shame & confusion is more than one can bear. :classic_blush: But…they’re comfortable as hell on those long highway rides. :yes: :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Too bad they didn’t work for you, slick looking setup! :thumbsup:

Well, it took me a few hours of trial fitting to get them to a place where they both fit and were still retractable.   I plan to eventually get a back rest (probably a Sargent).  If I end up with bar backs, I may revisit the highway peg idea again.  I can see how they might work for me, but again, I like the slightly forward, back straight, touring, riding position.  We'll see how the body holds up to actual riding (long distance).

realshelby

Scott, I tried two different backrest setups on my old RT. Not saying you would not like one but if I may I would like to tell you what I could not put up with using them. 

First, they are a PITA to mount/dismount the bike. Mine folded forward so you could throw your leg over...but then you have to raise it back in position which isn't so simple. 

Second they take up room if you ever have a passenger. Not a big deal, but it effects how much seat room there is too. 

Third, and what I could not live with, is they will make your back sore. The backpads on these are not all that large. No matter which jacket/suit I had on, even those where the back armor didn't seem to be the problem, I would develop a sore spot a few hours into a ride. Then what do you do with the backrest? Mine was removeable thankfully. 

What I find is that a good dry bag packed with gear ( which means you can adjust how it fits and feels ) and set across the pillion seat is by far more effective and causes no sore spots. 

• Plus 1 1

I have similar experiences as Terry. I’ve had backrest before; a pain to install/remove/adjust. Whether it was driver or passenger I didn’t care for it. I too use a dry bag filled with towels/clothes tied on. It is infinitely adjustable and quick on/off. I really like and need back support on rides greater than 250 miles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, realshelby said:

What I find is that a good dry bag packed with gear ( which means you can adjust how it fits and feels ) and set across the pillion seat is by far more effective and causes no sore spots. 

LOL, which is exactly (well, nearly ..um... "exactly") what I used back in the 1980's, in my active duty Navy days, on my Honda CB600.  I'd strap my seabag onto the back, and it'd be my comfortable backrest for miles and miles and miles.

(Hmmm, trying to remember, if that was before or after I discovered girls ... pillion riders can be comfortable, too. 🙃😁)

I guess nothing changes. 

• Like 1
  • Smile 1