IGNORED

Where to Find Mobile 1 GL-5 Gear Oil Without LS Modifiers?

Rotor

I'd like to purchase this oil (Mobile 1 GL-5 75-90 or 80-90) locally without having to order anything but everything I see has the LS rating also.  Don't want to start an oil thread because I don't want to get beat to death!  Just want to know where you guys are finding this product?  Or, does the LS rating really matter?  If it doesn't matter I can find plenty of oil.  Reluctantly, hitting the "submit" button...

7 minutes ago, Rotor said:

I'd like to purchase this oil (Mobile 1 GL-5 75-90 or 80-90) locally without having to order anything but everything I see has the LS rating also.  Don't want to start an oil thread because I don't want to get beat to death!  Just want to know where you guys are finding this product?  Or, does the LS rating really matter?  If it doesn't matter I can find plenty of oil.  Reluctantly, hitting the "submit" button...

Morning John

BMW doesn't specify using an LS gear oil, & if there wasn't a difference then why do most oil companies offer an LS & a non-LS in the same basic gear oil? 

Using an LS in a non LS application won't ruin your drive but on motorcycles with sealed drive bearings (like the hexhead 1200RT or on motorcycles that have a tendency for seal leakage (like the BMW 1100/1150 bikes) then using a LS probably is probably not the best choice. 

Will an LS work?-- Sure as a number of BMW owners use it. Should you use it if you have a choice? -- Personally (I) wouldn't but I have seen some 1200RT's with washed out sealed-crown-bearings & 1100/1150 bikes that started seeping at the pinion seals. 

OK, D.R.  We cleared that up.  So, where are you finding this Mobile 1 GL-5 oil without the "LS" additives?  Please.

7 minutes ago, Rotor said:

OK, D.R.  We cleared that up.  So, where are you finding this Mobile 1 GL-5 oil without the "LS" additives?  Please.

Afternoon John

Personally I don't even look for it. You get so many changes from a quart of gear oil that I usually just use the BMW sold gear oil . 

Transmission I'm not so picky but on the final drive I pretty well use the BMW gear oil, or use SAF-XO, or use  75w-90 Castrol syntrax longlife. (was difficult to find Castrol syntrax longlife 75w-90 in non LS gear oil in the US)

15 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon John

Personally I don't even look for it. You get so many changes from a quart of gear oil that I usually just use the BMW sold gear oil . 

Transmission I'm not so picky but on the final drive I pretty well use the BMW gear oil, or use SAF-XO, or use  75w-90 Castrol syntrax longlife. (was difficult to find Castrol syntrax longlife 75w-90 in non LS gear oil in the US)

It is for the transmission.

42 minutes ago, Rotor said:

It is for the transmission.

Afternoon John

Ok it's for the transmission,  I'm still not thrilled to use an LS gear oil but if you want to use the Mobil 1 75w90 then you are probably going to have to use the  LS version. (lot of BMW 1200 riders have used that without issue)  

If you aren't committed to the Mobil 1 product then you might look for the  Castrol syntrax longlife 75w-90 (non LS) as that is pretty darn close to the BMW recommend gear oil  for the hexhead. 

Like DR I use the BMW product. A  quart will last you a lifetime and I change mine at every oil change

If you really want the Mobil, write them and ask them where to buy. I have had good luck doing similar with oil companies. One time Shell sent me a case of Aviation oil for free. I was just trying to find a distributor versus a retailer. 

Hi David,

I agree, a quart of the final drive oil will last a while.  My needs are more related to the transmission and for several reasons I was searching for an alternative to the factory oil.  I had read where others were using the Mobile brand but I couldn't find it without the LS additives - which is why I reached out here.  I may take your suggestion to write them and see what happens, couldn't hurt.  Meanwhile, I'll use the factory stuff and let this thread die a quite death.

18 minutes ago, KetoSoi said:

All I use on my '09 RT...

https://www.redlineoil.com/heavy-shockproof

K

Afternoon  KetoSoi

That stuff worked pretty good in old open-bearing worn 1100 5 speeds but I have yet to see it work very good in the tighter 1200  6 speeds.

Plus it makes it difficult to tell if you have a bearing going out as that pink shockproof is like a sticky booger so you can't get the dirty pink color to go away even after a number of gear oil changes with conventional gear oil. 

42 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  KetoSoi

That stuff worked pretty good in old open-bearing worn 1100 5 speeds but I have yet to see it work very good in the tighter 1200  6 speeds.

Plus it makes it difficult to tell if you have a bearing going out as that pink shockproof is like a sticky booger so you can't get the dirty pink color to go away even after a number of gear oil changes with conventional gear oil. 

I've had it in the final drive for the last 28,000 miles, no problems at all. Transmission, about 22,000 miles. Really no problem there, but it took about 1000 miles to 'break in' and smooth out. Been great ever since.

EDIT: Sorry, I should qualify that.... with regular changes. Total time with that type of oil is whats indicated.

K