IGNORED

Dash board lights

Doctor T

Hi Chaps, Can any one tell me if the dash bords lights behind the speedo and rev counter are replaceable like on the K bikes or are they board mounted. Ive never liked the traditional BMW (Cars and bikes) red glow background lighting.  If they are board mounted ive no problem replacing them as ive done this before on cars and bikes before.

P.S

The bike is a 2007 R1200RT

7 hours ago, Doctor T said:

Hi Chaps, Can any one tell me if the dash bords lights behind the speedo and rev counter are replaceable like on the K bikes or are they board mounted. Ive never liked the traditional BMW (Cars and bikes) red glow background lighting.  If they are board mounted ive no problem replacing them as ive done this before on cars and bikes before.

P.S

The bike is a 2007 R1200RT

Afternoon  Doctor T

Yes, if you are good at soldering in small LED's to a circuit board (not easy to access the circuit board though). Otherwise NO.

• Like 1

Cheers DR. Taking the dash out this afternoon to see the type and wattage. As i said ive done this before, so should be no problem. If they are the surface mount LED that i think they are i have some special ones already. They talk to a tiny control box that can control the colour from plain white to differant shades and hues of 50 differant colors of the spectrum or you can control individual leds, so you can have blue ones behind the centers of the clocks with white on the outer edge. I can also have differant colors on the rev counter as the needle rises or falls.

Dont ask where you can buy it as you cant. I designed it whilst working at Oxford Uni.

1 hour ago, Doctor T said:

Cheers DR. Taking the dash out this afternoon to see the type and wattage. As i said ive done this before, so should be no problem. If they are the surface mount LED that i think they are i have some special ones already. They talk to a tiny control box that can control the colour from plain white to differant shades and hues of 50 differant colors of the spectrum or you can control individual leds, so you can have blue ones behind the centers of the clocks with white on the outer edge. I can also have differant colors on the rev counter as the needle rises or falls.

Dont ask where you can buy it as you cant. I designed it whilst working at Oxford Uni.

Morning  Doctor T

Not as easy as you think it will be as there are at least 20 small flat LED's involved.  Probably not worth all the effort & time. 

Check your messages on this site as I sent you a reference picture. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Changed the LED's in the dash. In the end i decided to stick with red ones. Changing coloured ones as the rev rise are more suited to a sports bike. Bit fidderly but took just over an hour to change all of them.

21 minutes ago, Doctor T said:

Changed the LED's in the dash. In the end i decided to stick with red ones. Changing coloured ones as the rev rise are more suited to a sports bike. Bit fidderly but took just over an hour to change all of them.

Morning Doctor T

I guess I am missing something here. Why change them at all if you wanted to keep the red look?

23 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Doctor T

I guess I am missing something here. Why change them at all if you wanted to keep the red look?

I wanted to change the colours as i never liked the standard red back lights. I tied a few different colours like blue, white, yellow, and green but in the end i stuck with red. Even though i dont like the red colour, it turned out red was easier on the eyes at night.The others were just too bright and reflected on the windscreen. Defeated the the idea of back lights if you have to turn them right down.

Once i had the clocks dismounted i found 2 of the LED were not working. So at least i have all working back lights now.