IGNORED

Traditional Handlebars on a Wethead

Janky59

Forgive me if this has been covered, I did a search but came up empty.

Last weekend wandering around Bob’s BMW while my RT got it’s 18K service I came across a beautiful new 719 RT.

One thing in particular caught my eye was the handlebar setup it had. I had read the R18 could be spec’ed with a tubular bar, but had not read this about the RT.

So, the million $ question is: is this setup backwards compatible with the Wethead series?
Yeah, I should have asked while I was there but didn’t. That old saying “if you have to ask...” I guess.

I’ll give you the standard RT 1 piece bar is adequate. But for me, there’s just something more “motorcycle” about a tubular handlebar set up. And the oversized versions take it up a notch.

Anybody done this yet?

I have a 2022 R1250RT with Tube handlebars, it's a $225 add on.  I think it would cost a small fortune to convert to these bars.  Still no parts fish out so you'll need to ask the dealer. 

22R1250RT with tube handle bar.PNG

• Like 1

Haha-Why would you want to contradict the BMW Engineers who have already determined what the perfect bar bend is for you!

Wow, pretty nice option for the 2022 model year.  Was that an option for all 1250s?  I too wonder if the upper triple clamp is compatible on the 2014+ R1200RT Wetheads and older 1250's?  While it might be pricey and somewhat labor intensive to swap out, that really looks good.   Sadly there seems to be limited bar options on the Wetheads with integrated bars on the upper triple clamps 

Best I have found for integrated bars on the  Wetheads are either Illium works bar backs  ($112)

https://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-500&pID=103

but Illium recomends you also buy or rent the bar removal tool  (buy $125, )

https://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-550&pID=108

or rent at $140 with $125 refunded on return ($15)

The illium adds rise and can be brought back but keep the OEM bend

Or maybe these which appear to also change the bend to optimize wrist angle, which to me is somewhat a more personal thing...YRMV ($399 with bar removal tool)

https://www.helibars.com/comfort/handlebar-risers-adaptors/helibars-for-bmw/helibars-handlebar-riser-for-bmw-r1200rt-lc-hb05106/

Those bars look good.  I wonder if they are set back further than the other RT handlebars?   It seems like they have built-in bar backs already.

This is the pic I took while there, from a slightly different angle. They didn’t seem to have bar backs built in, but the aftermarket would address that in quick order.

44C5308B-7BDA-40B9-9412-D2E488AF212D.jpeg

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Paul De said:

Wow, pretty nice option for the 2022 model year.  Was that an option for all 1250s?

The option was available on the 2021

Tubular bars means no bar backs would be required, just rotate them back a bit, or splurge and  buy another handle bar with more rise.  I never was a fan of non tubular/integrated handle bars and glad to see BMW going back tubular bars on the RT.  If they had any vision they would make tubular handle bars the standard configuration and offer a range of OEM bars that would allow a custom fit.  Nice little profit generator for the dealer...duh!

I worked in a motorcycle shop back in the mid 70s and we sold a bunch of handle bars every year.  In fact the volume of the handle bar business was good enough to warrant a wall display of various popular bends to let customers hold them for wrist comfort and shadow them on their bike for rise and reach.  It helped bike sales too. Customers that would come in and sit on the bike they might want to buy, but were hesitant because they didn't like "the feel", we would grab another handle bar off the wall based on their concern and get them comfy. Sold a few more bikes doing that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

In 2021 I wanted to order the new RT, Tubular bars were available as a NO CHARGE option.  I wanted to buy the bike then but because of the world wide chip storage I wasn't able to have all the option/features I wanted.  My 2014 RT was in perfect shape so I waited until the bike I want could be built.  I never did see any tubular handlebar RT's even thou it was available at no additional cost.  I stlll haven't seen an RT with tubular bar other then my bike.  The day my bike came in my dealer built it and put it on the floor for display before I took delivery.  Att2021 R1250RT build spec.pdf2021 R1250RT build spec.pdf2021 R1250RT build spec.pdf2021 R1250RT build spec.pdf2021 R1250RT build spec.pdf2021 R1250RT build spec.pdf2021 R1250RT build spec.pdf2021 R1250RT build spec. attached is an old build sheet from 2021 with no charge tubular bars and a picture the dealer sent me while my bike was on the sales floor. 

image_3.jpeg